Cauchy Integral Formula - Multiple Possible Solutions?

In summary, the Cauchy integral formula states that if f is homomorphic in the interior of C then you can solve for its integral by using either of the two solutions provided. If f is not homomorphic in the interior of C, then the two solutions provide two different results.
Leveret
Cauchy Integral Formula -- Multiple Possible Solutions?

I'm in the process of teaching myself some complex analysis, and I ran into the following conundrum:

Homework Statement

Suppose one was given an integral,
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z[/tex]
where C is a closed curve with a and b in its interior, oriented counterclockwise.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(a) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-a} \mathrm{d}z[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that one could approach this one of two ways, and thereby obtain one of two different solutions. One possibility would be to say:

[tex]f(z) = \frac{2 \pi i}{z-b}[/tex]
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-a} \mathrm{d}z = f(a) = \frac{2 \pi i}{a-b}[/tex]

However, it seems equally valid to say:

[tex]f(z) = \frac{2 \pi i}{z-a}[/tex]
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-b} \mathrm{d}z = f(b) = \frac{2 \pi i}{b-a}[/tex]

which differs from the former solution by a factor of -1. Is this by design, or am I missing something important about the Cauchy integral formula (which is completely plausible)?

Physics news on Phys.org

Leveret said:
I'm in the process of teaching myself some complex analysis, and I ran into the following conundrum:

Homework Statement

Suppose one was given an integral,
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z[/tex]
where C is a closed curve with a and b in its interior, oriented counterclockwise.

Homework Equations

[tex]f(a) = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-a} \mathrm{d}z[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

It seems to me that one could approach this one of two ways, and thereby obtain one of two different solutions. One possibility would be to say:

[tex]f(z) = \frac{2 \pi i}{z-b}[/tex]
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-a} \mathrm{d}z = f(a) = \frac{2 \pi i}{a-b}[/tex]

However, it seems equally valid to say:

[tex]f(z) = \frac{2 \pi i}{z-a}[/tex]
[tex]\int_C \frac{1}{(z-a)(z-b)} \mathrm{d}z = \frac{1}{2 \pi i} \int_C \frac{f(z)}{z-b} \mathrm{d}z = f(b) = \frac{2 \pi i}{b-a}[/tex]

which differs from the former solution by a factor of -1. Is this by design, or am I missing something important about the Cauchy integral formula (which is completely plausible)?

The Cauchy formula says that if f is homomorphic in the interior of C then your first result would hold: that is, the integral of f(z)/(z-a) would give 2*pi*f(a). However, f(z) = 1/(z-b) is not holomorphic (it has a pole at z = b in the interior of C) so the result need not hold.

RGV

Cauchy's Integral Formula requires f(z) to be analytic inside and on the boundary of the contour.

When there are multiple singularities within the contour, we use the Residue Theorem.

Gotcha, thanks!

Related to Cauchy Integral Formula - Multiple Possible Solutions?

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula, also known as Cauchy's Residue Theorem, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the value of a complex integral to the values of a function at points inside the region enclosed by the curve of integration.

2. What does the Cauchy Integral Formula state?

The Cauchy Integral Formula states that if a function f(z) is analytic inside and on a simple closed contour C, then the value of the integral of f(z) around C can be computed by evaluating the function at any point inside the contour and multiplying by 2πi.

3. Are there multiple possible solutions to the Cauchy Integral Formula?

Yes, there can be multiple possible solutions to the Cauchy Integral Formula. This is because the formula only requires that the function be analytic inside and on the contour, but does not specify a unique solution. Additionally, the contour itself can be chosen in many different ways, leading to different solutions.

4. How can the Cauchy Integral Formula be applied in real-world situations?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a force field on a particle moving along a closed path, or to solve problems in electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

5. What are some common misconceptions about the Cauchy Integral Formula?

One common misconception is that the Cauchy Integral Formula only applies to functions of a single complex variable. However, it can also be extended to functions of multiple complex variables. Another misconception is that the formula can only be applied to closed contours, but it can also be used for open contours in certain cases.