Cauchy Integral of Complex Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a contour integral using Cauchy's integration formula. The original problem involved the integration of e^1/zdz along a counter-clockwise unit circle in the z-plane. The correct answer was found using Laurent series, but the person wanted to try solving it without using this method. They attempted to parametrize the path and integrate using the Cauchy formula, but encountered difficulties with the direction of the contour. Eventually, it was determined that the t integration was in a clockwise direction, which required an extra factor of -1. The final answer was 2πi, and it is important to leave the answer in terms of π instead of approximating it with a numerical value.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2018-1-7_10-37-15.png

Homework Equations

Using Cauchy Integration Formula
If function is analytic throughout the contour, then integraton = 0. If function is not analytic at point 'a' inside contour, then integration is 2*3.14*i* fn(a) divide by n!
f(a) is numerator.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2018-1-7_10-43-30.png

But book answer is 2*3.14*i. They haven't included the negative sign. I got same error for similar question. They haven't included the negative sign there as well. They've used Laurentz series. Why is my method wrong?

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-7_10-37-15.png
    upload_2018-1-7_10-37-15.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 737
  • upload_2018-1-7_10-38-56.png
    upload_2018-1-7_10-38-56.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 487
  • upload_2018-1-7_10-39-33.png
    upload_2018-1-7_10-39-33.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 469
  • upload_2018-1-7_10-43-30.png
    upload_2018-1-7_10-43-30.png
    36.2 KB · Views: 443
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the original problem? I can't read your hand writing.. Sorry :(

Here you go:
The contour integral of
upload_2018-1-7_13-34-3.png
e1/zdz with c as the counter clockwise unit circle in the z-plane is equal to:

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-7_13-34-3.png
    upload_2018-1-7_13-34-3.png
    452 bytes · Views: 324
jaus tail said:
But book answer is 2*3.14*i. They haven't included the negative sign. I got same error for similar question. They haven't included the negative sign there as well. They've used Laurentz series. Why is my method wrong?

The contour is counter-clockwise in ##z##. What direction is the contour in ##t##? By the way, you should learn some latex. ##2 \pi i## looks much nicer than 2*3.14*i.

Likes jaus tail
Another hint: You can do without any calculation by using the Laurent expansion of the integrand around ##z=0## and the theorem of residues.

Likes jaus tail
Yeah i get the answer with laurent but i wanted to try without it. Contour in z is anti clockwise. So in 't' it'll be? How to find that? t = 1/z = 1/(x + iy) = re-iθ
I'm not able to understand as to how re-iθ is clockwise?
z can also be x - iy, so then t will be re

Just parametrize the path along which to integrate. In your case it's ##z=\exp(\mathrm{i} \lambda)## then substitute ##t=1/z##. Where is the specific problem?

Likes jaus tail
So I get t = exp(-iλ)
Okay so as angle for z varies from 0 to 90 and so on to 360
like this angle for t will vary opposite 0 to -90 and so on to -360.
Thanks.

But you also need to transform ##\mathrm{d} z=\mathrm{d} t \frac{\mathrm{d} z}{\mathrm{d} t}##!

Likes jaus tail
z = 1/t
So dz = (-1/t2) dt

Then, what do you get for the integral?

Likes jaus tail
Earlier I'd get -2πi But now I removed the minus sign so it matches answer by laurent.

Sigh, why don't you present your calculation? Of course, you must get the same, no matter whether you use ##z## or ##t##, and you must not remove the - sign. It's crucial to get the sign right!

Here it is:
##\oint e^{1/z}dz##
c is |z|=1
##\frac{1}{z} = t##
|t| = 1 angle is opposite in sign
##z = \frac{1}{t}##
##dz = \frac{-1}{t^2}dt##
##\oint \frac{e^t}{t^2}(-dt)##

Is analytic everywhere except at t = 0 which is within contour of |t| = 1
So using Cauchy Integral Formula

##2\pi i \frac{f'(a)}{1!}##
Where a = 0
f(a) is (-1)et
This gives 2*3.14*(-1)
and we remove the minus sign because of angle reverse so we get: 2*3.14*i

jaus tail said:
Here it is:
##\oint e^{1/z}dz##
c is |z|=1
##\frac{1}{z} = t##
##z = \frac{1}{t}##

Where a = 0
f(a) is (-1)et
This gives 2*3.14*(-1)

So it's clear now, right? The ##t## integration is clockwise which means you need an extra factor of ##(-1)## which cancels the minus sign from the ##dt##. So they both agree.

Likes jaus tail and vanhees71
Thanks.

jaus tail said:
Here it is:
##\oint e^{1/z}dz##
c is |z|=1
##\frac{1}{z} = t##
##z = \frac{1}{t}##

Where a = 0
f(a) is (-1)et
This gives 2*3.14*(-1)

No, that is not what you get; you get ##2 \pi i##.

One approximation to that would be ##2 \times 3.14 \times i##, but that is by no means exact, or even particularly close to the true answer. A better approximation would be ##2 \times 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197 \times i, ## but even that is not exact----it is just a much better approximation than what you gave.

The important point for you to grasp is that when the answer contains ##\pi## you should leave it like that; you plug in numbers only if you actually need a numerical answer, and even then, you tailor the number of decimals used to the context of the problem. Sometimes 3.14 will be good enough, but sometimes you will need more decimal places.

Last edited:
Likes jaus tail

1. What is the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function?

The Cauchy Integral of Complex Function is a mathematical concept in complex analysis that involves integrating a complex-valued function over a closed contour in the complex plane. It is named after the French mathematician Augustin-Louis Cauchy and is an essential tool in understanding complex functions and their properties.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function calculated?

The Cauchy Integral of Complex Function is calculated using the Cauchy Integral Formula, which states that the value of the integral is equal to the function evaluated at a point inside the contour multiplied by the contour's circumference. This formula can be used for any complex-valued function that is analytic (differentiable) within and on the contour.

3. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function in mathematics?

The Cauchy Integral of Complex Function has several important applications in mathematics, including its use in evaluating complex integrals, computing residues, and solving differential equations. It is also a fundamental tool in understanding the behavior of complex functions and their singularities.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function be used for functions with multiple variables?

No, the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function is defined only for functions of a single complex variable. For functions with multiple variables, a similar concept called the Cauchy Integral Theorem can be used, which extends the principles of the Cauchy Integral to higher dimensions.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral of Complex Function has practical applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid dynamics, and signal processing, among others.