Causality of magnetoresistance

In summary, magnetoresistance is the change in electrical resistance of a material when subjected to a magnetic field. It is measured using a four-point probe setup and is believed to be caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the material. It has various applications in technology and differs from other forms of resistance due to its dependence on a magnetic field and ability to change in different directions.
ubergewehr273
TL;DR Summary
Unable to know the physical happening during magnetoresistance. Would be glad if someone could help me out.
I am currently doing a research project on the topic "Anisotropic magnetoresistance" for which I have referrred various textbooks. All the textbooks state that for this phenomenon to be observed, it is necessary for the object to have more than one carrier type. This has been explained beautifully in a mathematical way in the book "Solid State Physics" by Grosso. However, I have yet to find what happens during magnetoresistance "physically".
I would be very glad if someone could help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anisotropic magnetoresistance (AMR) is a phenomenon in which the electrical resistance of a material changes when a magnetic field is applied along different directions. The phenomenon is caused by the electron spin-dependent scattering of charge carriers in the material. This means that the magnitude and direction of the applied magnetic field affect the scattering of the charge carriers, resulting in a different electrical resistance when the field is applied along different directions. At the microscopic level, electrons with different spins interact differently with the magnetic field, leading to different scattering probabilities for electrons with different spins. This causes an imbalance in the number of charge carriers moving along each direction, resulting in an anisotropic response of the electrical resistance. In summary, AMR is caused by the spin-dependent scattering of charge carriers in the presence of an external magnetic field.

What is magnetoresistance?

Magnetoresistance is a phenomenon in which the electrical resistance of a material changes in the presence of an external magnetic field.

How does magnetoresistance occur?

Magnetoresistance occurs due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electrons in the material. When a magnetic field is applied, the electrons experience a force that alters their motion, leading to changes in the material's resistance.

What are the different types of magnetoresistance?

There are two main types of magnetoresistance: anisotropic magnetoresistance (AMR) and giant magnetoresistance (GMR). AMR occurs in materials with anisotropic crystal structure, while GMR occurs in layered structures of magnetic and non-magnetic materials.

What are the applications of magnetoresistance?

Magnetoresistance has various applications, including magnetic field sensors, data storage devices, and magnetic random access memory (MRAM). It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

What factors affect the magnitude of magnetoresistance?

The magnitude of magnetoresistance is affected by factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the properties of the material (such as its resistivity and magnetic moment), and the angle between the direction of current flow and the magnetic field.