CC student struggling with dedicating to calculus workload

In summary, the author suggests that if you are having difficulty dedicating yourself to studying for calculus, try to find a study group or set a weekly study routine. The author also suggests that if you are an INTJ personality type, that you try to understand the concepts and be able to intuively prove what's going on.
BreathingGloom
I really like physics and engineering, and am currently taking the prerequisites required to transfer to a full-time university.

However, I am having trouble dedicating myself to getting the calculus homework done, and studying in a timely fashion.

I was wondering in anyone here had any tips or specific ways they use to get their workload done in a timely or efficient manner.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Especially helpful would be anyone who has had a similar problem and found a way to overcome it.

I'm an INTJ personality type, if that is at all relevant.

I am going to provide a subjective, anecdotal opinion based strictly upon my own experiences.

While you might regard yourself as more an introvert (strictly an assumption), if you aren't able to generate the energy and motivation to put 10-15+ hours per week of dedicated Calculus studying, then my suggestion is to seek out a few classmates (or even just one) and set-up a weekly schedule routine so that you both hold one another accountable, you both help one another to understand things and you have another person who you can bounce ideas off of. In fact, I am getting ready to leave to meet one of my study group for Calculus (I simply asked people in the class if they wanted to start a study group - you'd be surprised how many other people feel the same way you do and simply need another person to work with).

Calculus isn't just mindlessly manipulating symbols on the page. If you have a solid mastery of basic algebraic arithmetic and trigonometry, then you really just need to focus on deeply understanding the concepts and start asking questions. Obviously, there are times you will need to learn and memorize new equations, properties and formulas, but even then, it's best to understand what they mean so that you know why you are doing certain manipulations.

Now, don't take my statement to mean that you should understand every proof and every theorem in your textbook (save that for an Analysis class) but at least intuitively, you need to understand what's going on even if you cannot formally define or prove it to be true.

And again, having another person to talk to can often provide a difficult subject with exceptional clarity.

Good luck my dude!

The thing I always try to do is try to divide my work into sections, and allow each section a specific period of time. Usually, I would use my Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to do all my homework.
For example, if I had 30 problems for homework that I needed to get done, I would set aside 10 problems for Friday, 10 for Saturday, and 10 for Sunday, and I wouldn't go anywhere until I got those done.
10 problems isn't much for calculus homework, but in a class like quantum or classical mechanics, 10 problems can take all day.

I understand the challenges of balancing coursework and maintaining dedication to challenging subjects like calculus. It is great to hear that you have a passion for physics and engineering and are taking the necessary steps to transfer to a full-time university.

In terms of managing your workload and staying on top of your calculus studies, I have a few suggestions. Firstly, I recommend creating a schedule for yourself and setting specific times for studying and completing homework. This will help you stay organized and on track with your studies.

Additionally, it can be helpful to break down your calculus homework into smaller, more manageable tasks. This can make the workload seem less overwhelming and allow you to focus on one concept at a time.

Another tip is to actively engage with the material by seeking out additional resources such as practice problems, online tutorials, or study groups. This can help reinforce your understanding of the material and make it more interesting and enjoyable.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask for help if you are struggling with certain concepts. Reach out to your classmates, TA, or professor for clarification or attend office hours for extra support.

Remember, dedication and hard work are key in mastering any subject, including calculus. With a positive attitude and these tips, I am confident you will be able to successfully manage your workload and excel in your studies. Best of luck to you!

Related to CC student struggling with dedicating to calculus workload

1. How can I manage my time effectively to stay on top of my calculus workload?

One way to manage your time effectively is to create a weekly schedule that includes dedicated study time for calculus. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you are consistently working on your calculus assignments and studying for exams.

2. I am struggling to understand certain concepts in calculus. What resources are available to help me?

There are a variety of resources available to help you understand calculus concepts. Your professor or TA may offer office hours or study sessions, and there are also online resources such as videos and practice problems that can aid in your understanding.

3. I feel overwhelmed by the amount of calculus work I have to do. How can I prioritize my tasks?

It can be helpful to break down your calculus workload into smaller, manageable tasks. Prioritize the tasks based on due dates and difficulty level, and try to complete the most challenging tasks first. It can also be helpful to take breaks and avoid procrastination.

4. I don't enjoy calculus and find it difficult to stay motivated. How can I stay motivated to dedicate enough time to my calculus workload?

It can be helpful to remind yourself of your long-term goals and the importance of understanding calculus in your academic and career pursuits. You can also try finding a study group or accountability partner to help keep you motivated and on track.

5. I am worried about failing my calculus class. What steps can I take to improve my understanding and performance?

First, make sure you are attending all classes and actively participating. It can also be helpful to review class material regularly and seek help from your professor or TA when needed. Additionally, practicing with a variety of problems and seeking additional resources can improve your understanding and performance in calculus.