Center of inversion of cubic diamond structure?

In summary, the center of inversion is a point of symmetry located at the center of a cubic diamond unit cell. It affects the physical and chemical properties of cubic diamond, allowing for perfect three-dimensional packing of atoms. It can also be found in other crystal structures and plays a crucial role in the tetrahedral bonding of cubic diamond. The center of inversion can be determined through identifying the unit cell or through X-ray crystallography.
IcedCoffee
I'm having hard time finding the center of inversion of cubic diamond structure.

upload_2018-11-20_17-53-41.png

At first I thought (2,2,2) would be the center of inversion, but (1,1,3), (3,3,3), (1,3,1), (3,1,1) (i.e. four atoms inside the cube) are not centrosymmetric about (2,2,2).

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-20_17-53-41.png
    upload_2018-11-20_17-53-41.png
    13 KB · Views: 2,087
Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, I see. It's on a midpoint between two atoms like (2.5, 1.5, 0.5)...

1. What is the center of inversion in the cubic diamond structure?

The center of inversion is a point located at the center of a cubic diamond unit cell. It is a point of symmetry, meaning that any point in the crystal can be reflected through this point and end up in an identical position.

2. How does the center of inversion affect the properties of cubic diamond?

The center of inversion is an important symmetry element in cubic diamond that affects its physical and chemical properties. It allows for perfect three-dimensional packing of atoms, resulting in the extreme hardness and thermal conductivity of diamond.

3. Can the center of inversion be found in other crystal structures?

Yes, the center of inversion can be found in other crystal structures as well. It is a common symmetry element in many crystals, including sodium chloride and fluorite structures.

4. How is the center of inversion related to the tetrahedral bonding in cubic diamond?

The center of inversion plays a crucial role in the tetrahedral bonding of cubic diamond. It allows for the arrangement of four carbon atoms around a single carbon atom, creating the strong covalent bonds that give diamond its unique properties.

5. How is the center of inversion determined in the crystal structure of cubic diamond?

The center of inversion can be determined by identifying the unit cell and finding the point that is equidistant from all the atoms in the cell. It can also be determined through the use of X-ray crystallography, which can reveal the symmetry elements present in a crystal structure.