Centre of mass of this boomerang?

In summary, the problem involves finding the center of mass of two symmetric boomerangs with uniform cross sections. The formulas for center of mass in 2D and 3D were attempted, but did not yield the correct answer. Instead, using a coordinate system that makes sense for both sticks was suggested as a solution.
gamma-guy

Homework Statement

I have an image with the question here: http://imgur.com/TGG9VTx.jpg
The red text is the answer. I haven't been able to get it without contradicting what I've been told.

Homework Equations

I know m1x1 + m2x / m1+m2 is centre of mass in 2d plane, but I don't know how that applies here. Also vectorR=vectorR1x1 +vectorR2m2 / m1 + m2 is for the 3d, but I don't know how to apply that as well. I am dumb

The Attempt at a Solution

tried using (20i + 2j + .25k) (dividing all components by 2) then multiplying by 150 (mass of block) twice then dividing by 300. didnt get the answer.

Then tried 150(20)+150(20) / 300, got 20 as answer. Wont get 10 unless I make x = 10, which I don't why I would do that.

ANY help appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Since a boomerang is symmetric, why not take advantage of that?
Then, where is the center of mass of a stick with uniform cross section?
That should be enough hints to find the answer. :wink:

Tom.G said:
Since a boomerang is symmetric, why not take advantage of that?
Then, where is the center of mass of a stick with uniform cross section?
That should be enough hints to find the answer. :wink:
Thank you very much for the help, but I am afraid I am not quite sure i understand? :sorry:

gamma-guy said:
tried using (20i + 2j + .25k) (dividing all components by 2)
That will give you the mass centre of one stick in a particular coordinate system. But that coordinate system is tailored to that stick. You should get a very different answer for the mass centre of the other stick in that same coordinate system. You are not going to get a sensible result by adding up vectors from different coordinate systems, one for each stick.
Pick a coordinate system that makes sense for both sticks.

What is the centre of mass of a boomerang?

The centre of mass of a boomerang is the point at which the entire mass of the boomerang can be considered to be concentrated. It is the average position of all the mass in the boomerang, taking into account its shape and distribution.

How is the centre of mass of a boomerang calculated?

The centre of mass of a boomerang can be calculated using the principle of moments, also known as the law of the lever. This involves balancing the boomerang on a pivot point and measuring the distance from the pivot to the centre of mass on either side. The centre of mass is located at the point where these distances are equal.

Why is the centre of mass important in understanding the flight of a boomerang?

The centre of mass is important in understanding the flight of a boomerang because it determines the stability and aerodynamics of the boomerang. If the centre of mass is not in the right position, the boomerang may not return to the thrower or may not fly properly.

Can the centre of mass of a boomerang change?

Yes, the centre of mass of a boomerang can change depending on its position, orientation, and any modifications made to it. For example, if weight is added or removed from the boomerang, the centre of mass will shift accordingly.

What factors can affect the centre of mass of a boomerang?

The shape, weight distribution, and any modifications made to the boomerang can affect its centre of mass. Other factors such as air resistance, wind, and temperature can also indirectly affect the centre of mass by altering the flight of the boomerang.