Centrifugal governor calculations

In summary, the individual is seeking help in determining the appropriate weight for a braking system that can handle a wind unit generating 1kw of power. They have already attached a 1kw motor which is expensive and do not have the budget or space for another generator. Suggestions have been made for a governor system to regulate the power output and the use of variable pitch windmill blades. However, there are concerns about overheating and it is suggested that a runaway mechanism may be the best solution for handling excessive wind.
neil cook
Hello all,
I am having problems working out the weight I require for as braking system.

I have a wind unit bringing me 1kw of power through a standard generator. However the wind I catching is far stronger than my generator can take, anything over a KW will kill my unit so I decided to make a centrifugal governor/brake,. but I cannot work out how much weight I require to start the system braking once I reach the 1kw mark. Can anyone help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
neil cook said:
However the wind I catching is far stronger than my generator can take, anything over a KW will kill my unit so I decided to make a centrifugal governor/brake,.

I did a ten second Google search, and in passing I noticed someone had designed a governor system where the governor adjusted the pitch of the blades, so that in high wind the blades would be less efficient, which would regulate the power output.

A governor that operates a brake, that doesn't seem like a good idea. To withstand wear it would need durable, expensive parts. Also, when in heavy use the brake system would be in danger of overheating.

I don't know how the problem of excessive power output in high wind is usually dealt with. Maybe the usual setup is to have a small windmill compared to the generator unit, so that the output will never overwhelm the generator, I don't know.

It just seems better design to regulate the amount of wind energy that is harvested in the first place. It doesn't seem a viable design to harvest all the wind energy, and then try to dump part of that energy by applying a brake.

Wouldn't it be more efficient to design variable pitch windmill blades? If the pitch of the blades can be varied like aircraft, it seems obvious that would compensate for most any wind condition.

Another way to look at it: Couple a second generator that kicks in only at a certain wind speed, that way you even get more power output. That would add braking due to generating more energy.

Hello all,
thanks for your input so far.
The wind unit that I have does not have props or blades of any kind so the idea of changing the form of the blade to alter the air flow will not work.

The 1kw motor I have already attached was very expensive and to buy another is not in my budget or for that matter do I have space for another generator. The generator that I have at the moment I can run in wind speeds upto 20m/s and it would not happen that often to have wind at higher speeds so the second generator would not be used too often.

Thanks

neil cook said:
Hello all,
thanks for your input so far.
The wind unit that I have does not have props or blades of any kind so the idea of changing the form of the blade to alter the air flow will not work.
[...]
The generator that I have at the moment I can run in wind speeds upto 20m/s and it would not happen that often to have wind at higher speeds .

I can only repeat my earlier concern: that in wind conditions where the power output is too big a brake system is likely to overheat . Brakes on cars are used only intermittently, so there's time for the heat to dissipate. But drive around a car on a circuit, overusing the brakes, and pretty soon the brakes will be red hot.

Your only option, it seems, is to create a runaway mechanism. When the slider of the centrifugal governor exceeds a particular position the brakes must start clamping down and gradually keep tightening, stopping the wind harvesting device, keeping your equipment and itself from harm. When the weather has calmed down again you can reset the system. From your message I understand that too much wind will happen only rarely.

I don't see a solution where governor regulated brakes are throttling the system. I think any risk of overheating should be eliminated.

Related to Centrifugal governor calculations

1. How does a centrifugal governor work?

A centrifugal governor works by using the centrifugal force created by the rotational motion of a flywheel to regulate the speed of an engine. As the speed of the engine increases, the flywheel spins faster, causing the governor balls to move outwards. This movement is then transferred to the throttle valve, which reduces the amount of fuel going into the engine and slows it down. Conversely, when the speed decreases, the governor balls move inwards, allowing more fuel to enter the engine and increase its speed.

2. What is the equation for calculating the speed of a centrifugal governor?

The equation for calculating the speed of a centrifugal governor is: Speed = √(g x r x (m1 + m2)/m2), where g is the acceleration due to gravity, r is the distance between the center of rotation and the center of mass of the governor balls, m1 is the mass of the flywheel, and m2 is the mass of the governor balls.

3. How do you determine the sensitivity of a centrifugal governor?

The sensitivity of a centrifugal governor is determined by the amount of change in the speed of the engine for a given change in the position of the governor balls. It can be calculated by dividing the maximum speed change by the maximum movement of the governor balls. A higher sensitivity means that the governor is more responsive to changes in speed.

4. What is the purpose of a centrifugal governor in an engine?

The purpose of a centrifugal governor in an engine is to regulate the speed of the engine and maintain it at a constant level. This helps to prevent the engine from running too fast and overheating, as well as avoiding stalling or running too slow. It also ensures that the engine operates at its most efficient speed, reducing fuel consumption and wear and tear on the engine.

5. How do you adjust a centrifugal governor?

To adjust a centrifugal governor, you can change the tension of the governor springs or adjust the position or weight of the governor balls. This will alter the speed at which the governor balls move in response to changes in engine speed. It is important to carefully adjust the governor to ensure that the engine runs at its intended speed and remains stable under varying conditions.