Change (9-16cos theta) ^1.5 into another form

In summary: Also, when you start a new thread, please try to formulate your question precisely, and show your work. If you are trying to do a problem, you should have some idea how to do it. If you don't, explain that you "don't know how to do it", and why you can't do it, and what you do know.In summary, the conversation was about a homework problem that involved integrating a complex expression containing trigonometric functions. The problem was eventually found to be impossible to solve using elementary methods and the thread was closed. The conversation also addressed some confusion about the exact form of the problem.
chetzread
Mod note: Based on an attachment in a later post in this thread, the actual expression is
##(9 - 16\cos^2(\theta))^{3/2}##

Homework Statement

: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5610105/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my working is (9^1.5) - (16^1.5)[ (cos theta)^1.5 ] = 18-64[ (cos theta)^1.5 ] , is it correct ?
[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
chetzread said:
my working is (9^1.5) - (16^1.5)[ (cos theta)^1.5 ] = 18-64[ (cos theta)^1.5 ] , is it correct ?
Try setting ##\theta = \pi/3## in ( 9-16cos theta) ^1.5 and (9^1.5) - (16^1.5)[ (cos theta)^1.5 ]. Do you get the same value?

DrClaude said:
Try setting ##\theta = \pi/3## in ( 9-16cos theta) ^1.5 and (9^1.5) - (16^1.5)[ (cos theta)^1.5 ]. Do you get the same value?
No, how should it be?

What is ##(a+b)^c##?

DrClaude said:
What is ##(a+b)^c##?
Dun know , can you help ?

DrClaude said:
What is ##(a+b)^c##?
here's my actual problem , i want to integrate $$\int_{0.23\pi}^{0.5\pi} \ (9-16cos\theta)^{1.5}\ d\theta$$
Mod note: From the attachment, now shown inline, the above should actually be
##\int_{0.23\pi}^{0.5\pi} \ (9-16cos^2\theta)^{1.5}\ d\theta##

IMG_20161102_201615[1].jpg

Is there any other way to integrate this without expanding the terms ?

chetzread said:
here's my actual problem , i want to integrate $$\int_{0.23\pi}^{0.5\pi} \ (9-16cos\theta)^{1.5}\ d\theta$$Is there any other way to integrate this without expanding the terms ?

The answer will be a complex number, because ##9 - 16 \cos \theta< 0## over part of the integration region, so when you take its 3/2-power you get an imaginary number. Besides that, your integration is not "elementary": according to Maple, the indefinite integral of ##(a - b \cos\theta)^{3/2}## involves the so-called Elliptic functions.

Likes chetzread
Thread closed.
@chetzread,
This is what you said:
chetzread said:
here's my actual problem , i want to integrate $$\int_{0.23\pi}^{0.5\pi} \ (9-16cos\theta)^{1.5}\ d\theta$$
The attachment you posted later in this thread shows that the integral is really this: ##\int_{0.23\pi}^{0.5\pi} \ (9-16cos^2\theta)^{1.5}\ d\theta##

Because of sloppiness on your part, you wasted a fair amount of time of the people trying to help you. Please start a new thread.

1. What is the purpose of changing the expression (9-16cos theta)^1.5 into another form?

The purpose of changing an expression into another form is to simplify it or make it easier to work with in a particular situation. In some cases, certain forms may also reveal patterns or relationships that are not apparent in the original form.

2. How can (9-16cos theta)^1.5 be simplified?

(9-16cos theta)^1.5 can be simplified by using the trigonometric identity cos^2 theta + sin^2 theta = 1 to rewrite it as (9-16cos theta)^1.5 = (9-16cos theta)(cos^2 theta + sin^2 theta)^0.75. This can then be further simplified using the binomial expansion formula to get 9cos^3 theta - 16cos^2 theta + 9cos theta - 16.

3. Can (9-16cos theta)^1.5 be written in terms of sine instead of cosine?

Yes, it is possible to write (9-16cos theta)^1.5 in terms of sine. By using the trigonometric identity sin^2 theta + cos^2 theta = 1, we can rewrite it as (9-16(1-sin^2 theta))^1.5, which simplifies to (16sin^2 theta - 7)^1.5.

4. How can the expression (9-16cos theta)^1.5 be graphed?

The graph of (9-16cos theta)^1.5 can be obtained by first graphing the function y = x^1.5, and then reflecting it about the x-axis and stretching it vertically by a factor of 16/9. This will result in a graph with a horizontal asymptote at y = 0 and a vertical intercept at x = 1.

5. Are there any other forms in which (9-16cos theta)^1.5 can be written?

Yes, there are other forms in which (9-16cos theta)^1.5 can be written. For example, it can be expanded using the binomial expansion formula to get 9cos^3 theta - 24cos^2 theta + 24cos theta - 8. It can also be written in terms of the tangent function as (9-16cos theta)^1.5 = (9-16cos theta)(1+tan^2 theta)^0.75.