Change from cartesian coordinates to cylindrical and spherical

In summary, the conversation discussed six equations in Cartesian coordinates and how to convert them to cylindrical and spherical coordinates. The equations and conversions were provided, with additional explanations and suggestions on how to approach the problems. The summary also mentioned the use of trigonometric identities to simplify the conversions.
akkex
Hello, I have 6 equations in Cartesian coordinates a) change to cylindrical coordinates b) change to spherical coordinate
This book show me the answers but i don't find it
If anyone can help me i will appreciate so much!
Thanks for your time1) z = 2 a) z = 2 b)ρcos(Φ) = 2

2) z = 5x² + 5y² a) z = 5r² b)5ρ = cos(Φ)cosec²(Φ)

3) x² + y² + z² = 9 a) r² + z² = 9 b)ρ = 3

4) x² + y² + 2z² = 4 a) r² +2z² = 4 b)ρ² (1 + cos²(Φ) = 4

5) x² - y² -2z² = 1 a) 2z² = r²cos(2θ) b)ρ² (sin²(Φ)cos(2θ) -2cos²(Φ) = 1

6) x² + y² = 2x a) r = 2cos(θ) b)ρsin(Φ) = 2cos(θ)

Physics news on Phys.org
I can do the first because from Cartesian coordinates to a) z = z in cylindrical coordinates and b) z = ρcos(Φ) in spherical coordinates. But in the other exercises i can't find a way to solve it

So, rectangular to cylindrical:
\begin{align*}
r^2&=x^2+y^2 \\
\theta&=\text{atan2}(y,x) \\
z&=z.
\end{align*}
This is basically rectangular to polar in 2D, but with the third dimension in the $z$ direction the same. Note that the atan2 function is the "intelligent" arctangent function - it gives you an answer in the correct quadrant. Other useful equations for conversions are the ones going the other direction:
\begin{align*}
x&= r \cos(\theta) \\
y&= r \sin(\theta)
\end{align*}

Rectangular to spherical:
\begin{align*}
\rho^2&=x^2+y^2+z^2 \\
\theta&=\text{atan2}(y,x) \\
\phi&=\arccos(z/\rho).
\end{align*}
Here I'm using the convention that $\theta$ is the azimuthal angle (the one that "curves around" the $z$ axis), and $\phi$ is the polar angle (the one that comes straight down from the positive $z$ axis). I believe this is the same convention you're using.

Again, the equations going the other direction are sometimes useful in doing conversions:

\begin{align*}
x&=\rho \cos(\theta) \sin(\phi) \\
y&=\rho \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi) \\
z&=\rho \cos(\phi).
\end{align*}

So, if you take a look at problem 2, you have the equation $z=5x^2+5y^2$. Notice the pattern (this is what mathematics is all about: noticing patterns): $5x^2+5y^2=5(x^2+y^2)$. Oh! The thing in the parentheses is just $r^2$. That gives us $z=5r^2$.

The spherical conversion is more difficult. I would simply plug in the spherical-to-rectangular equations, and use trig identities to simplify:
\begin{align*}
z&=5x^2+5y^2 \\
\rho \cos(\phi)&=5[\rho \cos(\theta) \sin(\phi)]^2 + 5[\rho \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi)]^2 \\
\rho \cos(\phi)&=5\rho^2 \cos^2(\theta) \sin^2(\phi) + 5\rho^2 \sin^2(\theta) \sin^2(\phi) \\
\cos(\phi)&=5\rho \cos^2(\theta) \sin^2(\phi) + 5\rho \sin^2(\theta) \sin^2(\phi) \\
\cos(\phi)&=5\rho\sin^2(\phi)[\cos^2(\theta) + \sin^2(\theta)] \\
\cos(\phi)&=5\rho\sin^2(\phi) \\
\csc^2(\phi) \cos(\phi)&=5\rho.
\end{align*}

The other problems will work out similarly, I expect. If you can't see some high-level pattern, then plug in and use your trig identities! Let me know how you get on.

1. How do I convert from cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), use the following formulas:

r = √(x² + y²), θ = tan⁻¹(y/x), z = z

2. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates over cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are useful for describing objects with cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders and cones. They also simplify certain types of calculations, such as integration and differentiation.

3. Can I convert from spherical coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, you can convert from spherical coordinates (ρ, θ, φ) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) using the following formulas:

r = ρsinφ, θ = θ, z = ρcosφ

4. How do I convert from cylindrical coordinates to cartesian coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) to cartesian coordinates (x, y, z), use the following formulas:

x = rcosθ, y = rsinθ, z = z

5. What are the applications of using spherical coordinates in science?

Spherical coordinates are useful for describing objects with spherical symmetry, such as planets and stars. They are also commonly used in physics and engineering, particularly in solving problems involving electric and magnetic fields.