Convert cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian

In summary, the individual is seeking to understand the conversion between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates for the parameters B(r, phi, z) and B(x, y, z). They mention the use of Jacobians and the fact that B_phi is equal to 0, making the conversion easier. They also mention that their understanding is based on the coordinates transformation between B_x, B_y, B_z and B_r, B_phi, B_z.
nuclearsneke
TL;DR Summary
TL;DR - is it possible to convert from cylindrical to cartesian if I have no angular coordinate?
Good day!

I am currently struggling with a very trivial question. During my studies, I operated with a parameter called "geometrical buckling" for neutrons and determined it in cylindrical coordinates. But thing is that we usually do not consider buckling's dependence on angle so its angular coordinate is zero. How can I convert my vector B(r, phi, z) to B(x,y,z)? I have only Br and Bz.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ungiven ##B_\phi## seems to me that you are treating a ring around z axis. For an example we may have equal possibility of angle ##\phi## where the buckling would take place. Does it make sense ?

Likes nuclearsneke
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system

Has the conversion between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates.

In the case of ##\phi=0## this is even easier. How does your choice of z in cylindrical coordinates influence the Cartesian coordinates, and what does ##\phi=0## say about the Cartesian coordinates?

Likes nuclearsneke
Office_Shredder said:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylindrical_coordinate_system

Has the conversion between cylindrical and Cartesian coordinates.

In the case of ##\phi=0## this is even easier. How does your choice of z in cylindrical coordinates influence the Cartesian coordinates, and what does ##\phi=0## say about the Cartesian coordinates?
I know about jacobians. If my B_phi is 0, then I can just put my B(Br,0,Bz) as B(Bx,0,Bz)?
I will only have neutron leakage in x-axis and in z axis. That's preem!

nuclearsneke said:
That's preem!
Are you a bicycle racer? :smile:

berkeman said:
Are you a bicycle racer? :smile:
Nope, I am but a merely fan of cyberpunk2077 and its slang :)

• Informative
Likes berkeman
nuclearsneke said:
If my B_phi is 0, then I can just put my B(Br,0,Bz) as B(Bx,0,Bz)?
Let me check my understanding that you would like to understand the coordinates transformation between ##B_x(x,y,z), B_y(x,y,z), B_z(x,y,z)## and ##B_r(r,\phi,z),B_\phi(r,\phi,z), B_z(r,\phi,z)## ?
Then if ##B_\phi(r,\phi,z)=0##
[tex]B_r^2=B_x^2+B_y^2[/tex]
[tex]B_x=B_r \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]B_y=B_r \sin \phi[/tex]
[tex]B_z(r,\phi,z)=B_z(x,y,z)[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes nuclearsneke

What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system commonly used in mathematics and physics to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a distance from the origin, an angle from a reference direction, and a height or vertical position.

How do you convert cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian?

To convert cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following equations:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
z = z

Where r is the distance from the origin, theta is the angle from a reference direction, and z is the vertical position. This will give you the x, y, and z coordinates in the Cartesian system.

What is the purpose of converting cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian?

Converting cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian coordinates allows us to easily plot points in three-dimensional space and perform calculations using standard algebraic methods. It also allows for a better understanding of the relationship between different coordinate systems.

Can you convert Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical?

Yes, it is possible to convert Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates using the following equations:
r = √(x^2 + y^2)
theta = arctan(y/x)
z = z

Where x, y, and z are the coordinates in the Cartesian system. This will give you the r, theta, and z coordinates in the cylindrical system.

Are there any limitations to converting cylindrical coordinates to Cartesian?

One limitation is that the conversion assumes a right-handed coordinate system, where the x-axis points to the right, the y-axis points up, and the z-axis points towards the viewer. Additionally, the conversion may not be suitable for certain complex shapes or calculations, in which case other coordinate systems may be more appropriate.