Cylindrical coordinates -Curvilinear

chwala
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Why are the coordinates seemingly used when the symmetry is around ##z## axis? Any particular reason why not ##x## or ##y##. In transforming from Cartesian to cylindrical form; I can see that ##z## is not considered when determining ##r##.
Can we also use ##x## and ##z## assuming that the symmetry is about ##y##? Sorry using phone to type ...will put this into context later. I hope my query is clear enough.
Why are the coordinates seemingly used when the symmetry is around ##z## axis? Any particular reason why not ##x## or ##y##. In transforming from Cartesian to cylindrical form; I can see that ##z## is not considered when determining ##r##.
Can we also use ##x## and ##z## assuming that the symmetry is about ##y##? Sorry using phone to type ...will put this into context later. I hope my query is clear enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
The directions of the cartesian axes in space are not absolute, but can be chosen to fit the geometry of the particular problem; by convention in axisymmetric geometries the z-axis is placed on the axis of symmetry, giving an obvious extension of plane polar coordinates [itex](x,y) = (r \cos \theta, r \sin \theta)[/itex].

It is clearly possible to set [tex]\begin{split}
x &= w \\
y &= u \cos v \\
z &= u \sin v\end{split}
[/tex] or [tex]\begin{split}
x &= u \sin v \\
y &= w \\
z &= u \cos v \end{split}[/tex] if you want.

• Informative
Likes chwala

1. What are cylindrical coordinates in curvilinear geometry?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of curvilinear coordinate system that defines the position of a point in three-dimensional space by its distance from a reference point, a radial distance from a reference axis, and an angle from a reference plane.

2. How are cylindrical coordinates related to Cartesian coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, a point is represented by the coordinates (r, θ, z), where r is the radial distance, θ is the angle in the reference plane, and z is the distance along the reference axis. These coordinates can be converted to Cartesian coordinates using the equations x = r * cos(θ), y = r * sin(θ), and z = z.

3. What are the advantages of using cylindrical coordinates in certain situations?

Cylindrical coordinates are particularly useful when dealing with problems that exhibit cylindrical symmetry, such as cylinders, cones, and rotational motion. They simplify the mathematical representation of these problems and make it easier to solve certain types of equations.

4. How do you convert between cylindrical and spherical coordinates?

To convert from cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z) to spherical coordinates (ρ, φ, θ), where ρ is the radial distance, φ is the inclination angle from the positive z-axis, and θ is the azimuthal angle in the reference plane, you can use the equations ρ = sqrt(r^2 + z^2), φ = arctan(r/z), and θ = θ.

5. What are some common applications of cylindrical coordinates in physics and engineering?

Cylindrical coordinates are commonly used in fields such as fluid dynamics, electromagnetism, and structural analysis. They are particularly well-suited for problems involving cylindrical symmetry, such as flow in pipes, magnetic fields around wires, and stress analysis in cylindrical structures.