Change in coffee taste under certain conditions - chemical explanation?

In summary, the person is wondering why the taste of their coffee changes when they go to a specific sandwich restaurant, even though the food and soft drinks there taste fine. They suspect it may be due to a smell in the restaurant affecting their taste and smell senses, or possibly a fragrance being used to mask offensive odors.
Jchem
I'm just wondering if someone can point me in the right direction here.. or maybe I'm just crazy lol.

I'm a big coffee drinker. When I go out, I usually grab a coffee and walk around with it in hand. (mall's, convenience stores, book stores, subways and buses etc...) and as expected there is not a difference in the taste as i go from place to place.

BUT

There is this one restaurant that I have been going to for years (a sandwich place), and every time I walk into the place the taste of my coffee changes and tastes horrible. If I take a sip outside the door, my coffee tastes fine.. I take one step inside, and its horrible - i don't know how to explain it, but it has a strong chemical taste.

Its just very strange, that this only happens at this one place. There are no strong odors at this place, they just make sub sandwiches... and when I eat at this place the food tastes fine, and the soft drink tastes fine as well - so this is specifically with coffee (if its important, i don't have any sugar in my coffee - just milk)

ANy ideas on what might be causing this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Taste and smell sense are strongly correlated, so I can imagine there is some smell at the place (not strong) that makes such an effect. Could even be it works just on you. But that's just my guess.

Could the shop be using Febreze or some other blocking/masking fragrance to lessen offensive odors? If my nose isn't working properly, nothing tastes right - especially coffee.

Last edited:

1. Why does coffee taste different when it's cold?

When coffee is hot, the heat causes the molecules in the coffee to move around more quickly, releasing more aroma and flavor compounds. When the coffee cools down, these molecules move more slowly and are less likely to be released, resulting in a change in taste.

2. How does the type of water used affect the taste of coffee?

The type of water used can affect the taste of coffee because different types of water have varying mineral content and pH levels. This can impact the extraction of flavor compounds from the coffee beans, leading to a difference in taste.

3. What role do coffee beans play in the change of taste under certain conditions?

The type and quality of coffee beans used can greatly impact the taste of coffee under certain conditions. Different varieties of beans have varying levels of natural oils, sugars, and acids which can affect the flavor of the coffee.

4. Why does coffee taste more bitter when over-extracted?

When coffee is over-extracted, meaning it has been in contact with water for too long, it can result in a higher concentration of bitter compounds being extracted from the beans. This can lead to a more bitter taste in the coffee.

5. How does the brewing method affect the taste of coffee?

The brewing method can greatly impact the taste of coffee because different methods extract flavor compounds from the beans in varying ways. For example, a French press method will result in a stronger and more robust flavor compared to a drip coffee method which may produce a lighter and more subtle taste.