Change in energy for a balled up chain

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in energy and thermal energy of a system involving a 1.1 m, 4 kg chain being unraveled with a constant force of 59 N. The change in energy is found to be 264.5 J, assuming there is no initial energy. The change in thermal energy is also found to be -264.5 J, as there is initially thermal energy but none when the chain is moving and loose.
phoenix133231

Homework Statement

A 1.1 m, 4 kg chain is wrapped up in a ball. You grab one of the ends of the chain and apply a constant force of 59 N and it begins to unwrap. When you pull your end of the chain 3.9 m, the chain is completely loose.
a) Find the change in energy of the system, before unraveling to when it is completely loose.
b) Find the change in thermal energy of the system, if you know that the links of the chain are banging against each other while you unravel the chain.

Homework Equations

F = m*a
T = 1/2*m*v^2

The Attempt at a Solution

a) So, I begin by finding the velocity of the chain after it is unraveled, by first finding the acceleration. So, 59 N = (4kg)(a) which gives me 14.75 m/s^2.

Then, using the kinematics equation, v^2 = v_i^2 + 2ax, I find that the velocity is...
v = sqrt(2*14.75m/s^2*4.45m) which is approximately 11.5 m/s.

Finally, the kinetic energy is going to be .5(4kg)(11.5m/s)^2 = 264.5 J.

But my dilemma is... I don't know what the initial energy is... if there even is any. I stated that the energy of the chain, when it was wrapped in a ball, is 0 J, since it's not moving, it doesn't have kinetic energy, and there's no height difference, so there's no potential energy. Is my reasoning correct?

Thus, change in energy = 264.5 J - 0 = 264.5 J?

b) Again, the change in thermal energy would be 0 - 264.5 J = -264.5 J, since there's initially thermal energy but no thermal energy when it's moving and loose?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm really sorry if this seems like a silly question, I just want to make sure I'm understanding the concepts correctly. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Related to Change in energy for a balled up chain

What is the concept of change in energy for a balled up chain?

The concept of change in energy for a balled up chain refers to the difference in energy between the initial state of a chain that is balled up and the final state when it is stretched out. It is a measure of the work required to change the configuration of the chain from a balled up state to a stretched out state.

What factors affect the change in energy for a balled up chain?

The change in energy for a balled up chain is affected by several factors such as the length and flexibility of the chain, the strength of the bonds between the chain molecules, and the external forces applied to the chain.

How is the change in energy for a balled up chain calculated?

The change in energy for a balled up chain can be calculated using the formula ΔE = Efinal - Einitial, where ΔE is the change in energy, Efinal is the energy of the chain in its stretched out state, and Einitial is the energy of the chain in its balled up state.

Why is understanding change in energy for a balled up chain important?

Understanding change in energy for a balled up chain is important because it can help scientists and engineers design and develop new materials with specific properties. It can also aid in predicting the behavior of materials under different conditions and in different environments.

What are some real-life applications of change in energy for a balled up chain?

The concept of change in energy for a balled up chain has various real-life applications, such as in the design of rubber bands, bungee cords, and other elastic materials. It is also relevant in the fields of polymer science, material engineering, and biophysics.