Change in gauge pressure using viscous flow through a pipe.

In summary, the gauge pressure of water flowing through a 9 meter long garden hose 2 cm in diameter at 20 degrees Celsius is 2.293 * 10^6 Pa.
KAC

Homework Statement

Water flows at 0.25 L/s through a 9.0-m-long garden hose 2.0 cm in diameter that is lying flat on the ground. The temperature of the water is 20 ∘C. What is the gauge pressure of the water where it enters the hose?

Side question: does the velocity of the water flow need to be converted to m/s rather than L/s? Upon conversion this becomes m^3/s, and I am not sure if this is suitable units for the velocity.

R = .01m
n = 1.0*10^-3 Pa*s
L = 9m
v= 0.25L/s

Homework Equations

Q = (pi*R^4*p)/8*n*L (p = pressure change; n = coefficient of viscosity, in this case 1.0*10^-3 due to the temperature of the water; L= length of the tube, 9m; R = .01m)
Q = v(avg)*A (A = cross sectional area, of a tube is pi*r^2)
v(avg) = (R^2/8nL)/p.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure of where to begin. The first equation I would think to use is v(avg) = (R^2/8nL)*p so that I could plug this into Q = v(avg)A but the first equation requires p and that is what I am solving the problem for. To start, would it be suitable to use the velocity given and change the units to m^3/s? If I take this route, I get:

v = 0.25L/s
1000L = 1m^3
0.25L/s * 1m^3/1000L = 0.00025 m^3/s = v

Q = v*A; A = pi*R^2
A = pi* 0.01^2; A = 0.000314 m^2
Q = 0.00025m^3/s * 0.000314 m^2; Q = 7.85 * 10^-8

Q = (pi*R^4*p)/8nL
p= [(8nL)*Q]/pi*R^4
p = [(8 * (1.0*10^-3 Pa*s)) * 9m]/pi * 0.01^4
p = (0.072)/3.14*10^-8
p = 2292993 or 2.293 * 10 ^6.

This answer is incorrect and I am weary of the steps I took to get there. Can someone please point me in the correct direction? The first concern I have is converting L/s for velocity. Should I be leaving velocity in terms of L/s or changing them into m^3/s as I have done here? Also, is this velocity able to be used at all? The formula calls for average velocity, but with the formula for average velocity, I am unable to solve because it calls for the use of p, which I do not have.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the units of velocity are?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
What do you think the units of velocity are?

Chet

Chet,

I think that the units of velocity should be m/s. Since it is a fluid and not an object in this case, I am assuming that m^3/s is suitable to use?

KAC said:
Chet,

I think that the units of velocity should be m/s. Since it is a fluid and not an object in this case, I am assuming that m^3/s is suitable to use?
Are m3/s the same as m/s?

You're mixing rate of flow with flow velocity, which are two different concepts.

If you had carried the units in the calculation of Q = A * v as you should have, this would also tell you that rate of flow cannot be substituted for flow velocity.

So, out of the whole list of the symbols you have shown, which one does the 0.25 l/ s correspond to?

Chestermiller said:
So, out of the whole list of the symbols you have shown, which one does the 0.25 l/ s correspond to?

If I convert L to m3, it corresponds to Q, the flow rate of the fluid. So in this case, I don't actually need to solve for Q because this is already given?
After conversions Q = 2.5*10-4; if I plug this into my equation:

p= [(8nL)*Q]/pi*R^4
p=[(8*(1.0*10-3 Pa*s)*9m)*2.5*10-4 m3/s]/pi*0.01m4
p= 1.8*10-5/3.14*10-8
p = 573.2 Pa

Does my form appear to be correct here?

KAC said:
If I convert L to m3, it corresponds to Q, the flow rate of the fluid. So in this case, I don't actually need to solve for Q because this is already given?
After conversions Q = 2.5*10-4; if I plug this into my equation:

p= [(8nL)*Q]/pi*R^4
p=[(8*(1.0*10-3 Pa*s)*9m)*2.5*10-4 m3/s]/pi*0.01m4
p= 1.8*10-5/3.14*10-8
p = 573.2 Pa

Does my form appear to be correct here?
I haven't checked your arithmetic, but this now looks right. You should check the reynolds number to confirm that the flow is laminar. If it is turbulent, then a different equation prevails, and pressure drop is larger.

Chet

1. What is gauge pressure?

Gauge pressure is the pressure measured relative to atmospheric pressure. It is the pressure above or below atmospheric pressure that a fluid exerts. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How does viscous flow affect gauge pressure in a pipe?

Viscous flow is the resistance a fluid experiences when it flows through a pipe due to the fluid's internal friction. The more viscous the fluid is, the more resistance it will experience, resulting in a decrease in gauge pressure. This decrease in pressure can also be affected by the diameter and length of the pipe, as well as the flow rate of the fluid.

3. How is the change in gauge pressure calculated for viscous flow through a pipe?

The change in gauge pressure can be calculated using the Hagen-Poiseuille equation, which takes into account the viscosity of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, and the flow rate of the fluid. This equation is often used in fluid mechanics to determine the pressure drop in a pipe due to viscous flow.

4. Can the change in gauge pressure be controlled in a pipe with viscous flow?

The change in gauge pressure can be controlled to some extent by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid. However, other factors such as the viscosity of the fluid and the diameter and length of the pipe cannot be easily controlled. In some cases, the use of additives or altering the pipe design can help to reduce the pressure drop caused by viscous flow.

5. How does the change in gauge pressure affect the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe?

The change in gauge pressure can have a significant impact on the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe. As the gauge pressure decreases due to viscous flow, the flow rate will also decrease. This is because the fluid has to work against the pressure drop to continue flowing through the pipe. Additionally, the flow rate can also be affected by other factors such as the viscosity and density of the fluid, and the diameter and length of the pipe.