Change in ground state energy due to perturbation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in ground state energy for a quantum particle in an infinite potential well with a small perturbation added. The equation used to calculate this change is <Ψ| V'(x) |Ψ>, and the correct answer is ε(π^2 -4)/ 2π^2. One of the speakers initially got a result of zero, but after considering the use of |x| in the potential, they were able to obtain the correct answer.
Shelly1

Homework Statement

Consider a quantum particle of mass m in one dimension in an infinite potential well , i.e V(x) = 0 for -a/2 < x < a/2 , and V(x) =∞ for |x| ≥ a/2 . A small perturbation V'(x) =2ε|x|/a , is added. The change in the ground state energy to O(ε) is:

Homework Equations

The ground state wave function for a particle an symmetric potential well is Ψ=√(2/a) cos(πx/a)
change in energy= <Ψ| V'(x) |Ψ>

The Attempt at a Solution

change in ground state energy can be calculated using this equation <Ψ| V'(x) |Ψ>

Physics news on Phys.org
The correct answer to this question is ε(π^2 -4)/ 2π^2. I don't know how they got this.

Shelly1 said:
The correct answer to this question is ε(π^2 -4)/ 2π^2. I don't know how they got this.
Have you tried calculating <Ψ| V'(x) |Ψ>?

Yes.but I got zero as answer.
DrClaude said:
Have you tried calculating <Ψ| V'(x) |Ψ>?

Shelly1 said:
Yes.but I got zero as answer.
Were you careful to consider that it is |x| that appears in the potential?

Yes ofcourse...
DrClaude said:
Were you careful to consider that it is |x| that appears in the potential?

Then please show your work, because that integral is not zero.

You were right.unfortunately i have made a mistake with integral and it is never be zero.fIinally i got the same answer.Thank you Dclaude

1. What is a ground state energy?

The ground state energy is the lowest possible energy that a system can have. It is the energy level that an atom or molecule occupies when it is in its most stable, lowest energy state.

2. How does perturbation affect ground state energy?

Perturbation refers to any external influence that changes the energy of a system. When a perturbation is applied to a system, the ground state energy can change, either increasing or decreasing, depending on the nature of the perturbation.

3. What types of perturbations can cause a change in ground state energy?

Any external influence can be considered a perturbation, including changes in temperature, pressure, or electromagnetic fields. Other common perturbations include collisions with other particles, changes in electron density, or changes in the nuclear structure of an atom or molecule.

4. How is the change in ground state energy calculated?

The change in ground state energy can be calculated using the time-independent perturbation theory, which involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the unperturbed and perturbed systems separately and then taking the difference between their ground state energies.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding changes in ground state energy due to perturbation?

Understanding how perturbations affect ground state energy is crucial in many areas of science, including chemistry, physics, and materials science. It can help predict and explain the behavior of atoms and molecules in different environments, as well as aid in the development of new materials and technologies.