Change in momentum: Child jumping from a swing on a playground

hendrix7
Homework Statement
A child is on a playground swing. The playground has a rubber safety
surface.
The child, of mass 32 kg, jumped from the swing.
When the child reached the ground she took 180 milliseconds to slow down and stop.
During this time an average force of 800 N was exerted on her by the ground.
Calculate the velocity of the child when she first touched the ground.
Relevant Equations
Force = change in momentum / time
800 - (32 x 9.8) = 32v/0.18 where v = velocity
this gives me v = 2.736 m/s
The answer given, however, is 800 = 32v/0.18, i.e. v = 4.5 m/s
The difference, of course, is the weight of the child. I don't understand why this is not allowed for in the net force acting on the child. Can someone put me straight here?

Physics news on Phys.org
hendrix7 said:
Homework Statement: A child is on a playground swing. The playground has a rubber safety
surface.
The child, of mass 32 kg, jumped from the swing.
When the child reached the ground she took 180 milliseconds to slow down and stop.
During this time an average force of 800 N was exerted on her by the ground.
Calculate the velocity of the child when she first touched the ground.
I think that the force due to gravity was included in the average force exerted upon her from the ground.

Likes hendrix7
I interpret the force "exerted on her by the ground" as the normal force from the ground, which would not include the child's weight. So, I like @hendrix7 's solution (2.7 m/s). Just my 2 cents.

Likes hendrix7 and MatinSAR
Let's see what Sir Isaac has to say.
##F_{\text{net}}=N-mg=ma##
We average the forces over a time interval ##\Delta t##. The time-average of ##mg## is ##mg##.
##\bar {F}_{\text{net}}=\bar N-mg.##
##\bar {F}_{\text{net}}=m\bar a=m\dfrac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}.##
Thus, ##m\dfrac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}=\bar N-mg.##
The force exerted on the child by the ground is the normal force ##N##. We are told that the average force exerted on her by the ground during this time interval is 800 N. Thus, ##\bar N = 800~##N. Substituting, $$32~(\text{kg}) \frac{0-v_0~(\text{m/s})}{0.18~(\text{s})}=800~(\text{N})-32~(\text{kg})*9.8~(\text{m/s}^2)\implies v_0=-2.7~(\text{m/s}).$$The negative sign says that ##v_0## is "down" in the same direction as the acceleration of gravity.

I think that this solution is transparent and sound. The answer given is incorrect.

Last edited:
Likes hendrix7 and MatinSAR
kuruman said:
The force exerted on the child by the ground is the normal force N.
Unless ground includes the whole Earth, as @gneill suggests. But I agree, the given answer is a blunder.

Likes hendrix7
haruspex said:
Unless ground includes the whole Earth, as @gneill suggests. But I agree, the given answer is a blunder.
If the idea were to include the Earth, then the given information should have been something like "During this time an average net force of 800 N was required to stop her." Probably the author didn't think there is a difference between "net" and "ground" since, after all, it's the ground that stops the girl.

Likes hendrix7
kuruman said:
If the idea were to include the Earth, then the given information should have been something like "During this time an average net force of 800 N was required to stop her." Probably the author didn't think there is a difference between "net" and "ground" since, after all, it's the ground that stops the girl.
Thanks, kuruman, that makes sense to me, and thanks to everyone else who replied.

Likes berkeman and kuruman

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, taking into account its mass and velocity. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How does a child jumping from a swing on a playground affect momentum?

When a child jumps from a swing, their momentum changes because their velocity changes. As they jump off the swing, their velocity decreases, resulting in a decrease in momentum.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant. This means that the total momentum before and after an event, such as a child jumping off a swing, will be the same.

4. How does the mass of the child affect the change in momentum when jumping off a swing?

The mass of the child does not affect the change in momentum when jumping off a swing. According to the principle of conservation of momentum, the change in momentum of the child will be equal to the change in momentum of the swing.

5. Can the change in momentum of a child jumping off a swing be calculated?

Yes, the change in momentum can be calculated using the formula: change in momentum = mass x (final velocity - initial velocity). The values for mass and initial velocity can be measured, while the final velocity can be calculated using the height and speed of the swing.