Change in voltage due to additional source

In summary, when an identical voltage source is added to the original in parallel, the effective internal resistance is halved while the voltage across the load remains unchanged. When added in series, the effective resistance is doubled and the voltage across the load is doubled as well. The effect on the load voltage will depend on the type of load, but it can be assumed that it is resistive.
Queequeg

Homework Statement

A voltage source connected to a circuit produces a voltage V, current I and has internal resistance R. What is the new voltage if an identical voltage source is added to the original:

a) in parallel
b) in series

Homework Equations

V=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For a voltage source in parallel, the equivalent resistance is R/2. Each source provides a current I so the total current is I+I=2I. Therefore the new voltage is V_n=(2I)(R/2)=IR=V unchanged

b. The equivalent resistance is 2R and the current is I because they are in series, so the new voltage is V_n=I(2R)=2V doubled.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you have any further questions?

Queequeg said:

Homework Statement

A voltage source connected to a circuit produces a voltage V, current I and has internal resistance R. What is the new voltage if an identical voltage source is added to the original:

a) in parallel
b) in series

Homework Equations

V=IR[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

a. For a voltage source in parallel, the equivalent resistance is R/2. Each source provides a current I so the total current is I+I=2I. Therefore the new voltage is V_n=(2I)(R/2)=IR=V unchanged

b. The equivalent resistance is 2R and the current is I because they are in series, so the new voltage is V_n=I(2R)=2V doubled.
What is the effect of the circuit to which the voltage supplies are connected? Presumably the voltage mentioned is meant to be the voltage across that load?

Fig1.gif

When you connect an identical source in parallel with the first, I agree that the effective internal resistance is halved while the effective cell voltage remains the same. But how will that effect the voltage V that is measured across the load resistance?

The original question is badly worded. I suppose you had better assume the load is resistive.

Your solution is correct. In both cases, the added voltage source does not change the total voltage in the circuit, but it does affect the current and the equivalent resistance. In parallel, the equivalent resistance decreases, resulting in a higher current and the same voltage. In series, the equivalent resistance increases, resulting in the same current and a higher voltage. This is an important concept to understand in circuit analysis and design.

1. What is "change in voltage due to additional source"?

Change in voltage due to additional source refers to the alteration in the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit when a new voltage source is added. This can occur due to the introduction of a new battery, generator, or any other source of electricity.

2. How does the addition of a new source affect the overall voltage in a circuit?

The addition of a new voltage source can either increase or decrease the overall voltage in a circuit, depending on the polarity and magnitude of the new source. If the new source is connected in series with the existing sources, the voltages will add up. However, if the new source is connected in parallel, the voltage will remain the same.

3. What is the mathematical relationship between voltage and current when a new source is added?

According to Ohm's law, the relationship between voltage and current in a circuit is V=IR, where V is the voltage, I is the current, and R is the resistance. When a new source is added, the total voltage can be found by adding the voltages from each source, while the total current remains the same.

4. How does the addition of a new source affect the power consumption in a circuit?

The addition of a new voltage source can increase the total power consumption in a circuit, as the total voltage and current are increased. This can lead to a higher energy demand and potentially cause overheating or damage to the circuit components if the sources are not properly regulated.

5. Can the addition of a new source cause a circuit to malfunction?

In some cases, the addition of a new voltage source can cause a circuit to malfunction if the sources are not properly matched or if there is a discrepancy in polarity. This can lead to an imbalance in voltage and current, which can damage the circuit components and disrupt the flow of electricity.