How Does the Change of Coordinate Matrix Transform an Ellipse Equation?

In summary, the change of variable (x,y) --> (x',y') is used to transform the equation 2x^2 - 4xy + 5y^2 = 1 into the simpler equation (x')^2 + 6(y')^2 = 1, which represents an ellipse. This change of variable is a change from the coordinate vector of a point P relative to the ordered basis B, to the coordinate vector of P relative to the new rotated basis B'. The matrix Q represents this rotation, and it is equivalent to [I]^B_B'. The values of the basis B can be found by using the eigenvectors of the symmetric matrix S. The statement about a similar result being true
jeff1evesque
In geometry the change of variable,

[tex]x = (2 / sqrt(5))x' - (1 / sqrt(5))y'[/tex] (#1)
[tex]y = (1 / sqrt(5))x' + (2 / sqrt(5))y'[/tex] (#2)
can be used to transform the equation [tex] 2x^2 - 4xy + 5y^2 = 1[/tex] into the simpler equation [tex](x')^2 + 6(y')^2 = 1[/tex], in which form it is easily seen to be the equation of an ellipse.

[tex]B and B'[/tex] are the standard ordered basis and new rotated basis respectively

My question:
Why is BB' have such a representation with B and B'? Why wouldn't it be B'B?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeff1evesque said:
Why is BB' have such a representation with B and B'? Why wouldn't it be B'B?

Can you try to state your question differently? I was following what you wrote up to that point, but I'm not familiar with the notation you're using at the end.

Cantab Morgan said:
Can you try to state your question differently? I was following what you wrote up to that point, but I'm not familiar with the notation you're using at the end.

So in this particular example,
B' = { 1/sqrt(5)(2, 1), 1/sqrt(5)(-1, 2) }
Question: what about the basis B, what is it's values?

Geometrically the change of variable is (x,y) --> (x',y') is a change in the way that the position of a point P in the plane.

The change of variable is actually a change from [tex][P]_B = (x, y)[/tex], the coordinate vector of the point P relative to the ordered basis B = {e1, e2}, to [tex][P]_B' = (x', y')[/tex], the coordinate vector of P relative to the new rotated basis B'.

Notice also that the matrix
| 2 -1 |​
Q = 1/sqrt(5) | 1 2 |

equals [tex]^B_B'[/tex], where I denotes the identity transformation on [tex]R^2[/tex]. Thus [tex][v]_B = Q[v]_B_'[/tex] for all v in [tex]R^2[/tex]. A similar result is true in general.

Two questions for the last two sentences from above:
1.) What exactly is [v]_B? What are the values for this vector, how is it obtained?
2.) What do they mean by a similar result is true?

thanks,

JL

jeff1evesque said:
[tex]^B_B'[/tex]

Sorry, I still don't know what that notation means.

But here's what I see is happening. The ellipse [tex]2x^2 -4xy + 5y^2 = 1[/tex] represents a quadratic form, meaning a particular inner product on R^2. Imagine that there is a symmetric matrix S with positive eigenvalues...

[tex]
S = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 2 & -2 \\ -2 & 5 \end{array} \right)
[/tex]

Then we're looking at the set of all points [tex]v = \left( \begin{array}{c} x \\ y \end{array} \right)[/tex] satisfying [tex]Sv \cdot v = 1[/tex]. These form an ellipse. By finding the eigenvectors of that matrix S, and normalizing them, we assemble your rotation matrix Q. Q rotates the plane. Consider its transpose and see that [tex]v' = Q^Tv[/tex], and we get the ellipse [tex]x'^2 +6y'^2 = 1[/tex]. Note that these coefficients 1 and 6 are the eigenvalues of S, and they represent the maximum and minimum values of the ellipse's distance from the origin.

So, what is v? This question I understand. What you are calling [tex]v_B[/tex]. Well, it can really be any point in the plane that you transform by [tex]Q^T[/tex], but in our case we can limit it to those points in the plane on the ellipse. That is, all points for which [tex]Sv \cdot v = 1[/tex].

I don't understand your question about the values of the basis B. You wrote down the basis B.

Like you, I also don't know what they mean by "a similar result is true".

Related to How Does the Change of Coordinate Matrix Transform an Ellipse Equation?

1. What is a change of coordinate matrix?

A change of coordinate matrix is a mathematical representation of the transformation between two coordinate systems. It describes how the coordinates of a point change when it is shifted from one coordinate system to another.

2. Why is a change of coordinate matrix important?

A change of coordinate matrix is important because it allows us to easily convert between different coordinate systems, which is useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It also helps us understand the relationship between different coordinate systems and how they are related.

3. How is a change of coordinate matrix calculated?

A change of coordinate matrix is calculated by finding the linear transformation between the two coordinate systems. This can be done using various methods such as matrix multiplication and linear algebra techniques.

4. Can a change of coordinate matrix be used for non-linear transformations?

No, a change of coordinate matrix can only be used for linear transformations. Non-linear transformations involve more complex mathematical representations, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions.

5. How is a change of coordinate matrix used in real-world applications?

A change of coordinate matrix is used in various real-world applications, such as computer graphics, navigation systems, and 3D modeling. It is also used in physics and engineering to convert between different coordinate systems, such as Cartesian and polar coordinates.