Change of variable integral problem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Jacobian in solving an integral, with one person expressing confusion about the inversion of the Jacobian and another person providing an explanation and helpful notation to remember the process.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/7453/28042782.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

What I do not understand is how the Jacobian suddenly gets inverted when doing the integral, I have looked over my other tutorial problems for similar solutions and I do not recall doing something like this.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/7459/45340834.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/7548/63185150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Jacobian calculated in the solution is
$$J = \begin{vmatrix}
\partial u/\partial x & \partial u/\partial y \\
\partial v/\partial x & \partial v/\partial y
\end{vmatrix}$$ so you have that ##du\,dv = J\,dx\,dy##. Because you want to find ##\int dx\,dy##, you need to integrate ##\int (1/J)\,du\,dv##. If you used the inverse transformations and found instead
$$J' = \begin{vmatrix}
\partial x/\partial u & \partial x/\partial v \\
\partial y/\partial u & \partial y/\partial v
\end{vmatrix},$$ then you'd have ##dx\,dy = J'\,du\,dv##.

Yes, it looks like velas response is correct, but let me add a notation that might help you remember which way you are going. There is a visual believability about

[tex]dudv=|\frac{\partial(u,v)}{\partial(x,y)}|dxdy[/tex]

and so also for

[tex]dxdy=|\frac{\partial(x,y)}{\partial(u,v)}|dudv[/tex]

See? It sort of looks like things cancel correctly.

Last edited:
algebrat said:
Yes, it looks like velas response is correct, ...

vela has a history of giving correct responses!

Thanks for the responses, yea I sort of see it now. I guess a bit more practice with it is required.

Related to Change of variable integral problem

1. What is a change of variable in an integral?

A change of variable in an integral is a mathematical technique used to simplify the integration process by substituting one variable for another. This can help to transform the integral into a more manageable form, making it easier to solve.

2. Why do we use change of variables in integrals?

Change of variables is used in integrals to make them easier to solve and to help in evaluating integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also helps to identify patterns and relationships between different functions.

3. What is the general process for solving a change of variable integral problem?

The general process for solving a change of variable integral problem involves the following steps:1. Identify the integral and the variables involved.2. Choose an appropriate substitution, typically a new variable that is simpler or easier to work with.3. Rewrite the integral in terms of the new variable.4. Solve the new integral.5. Substitute the original variable back in to get the final solution.

4. How do you choose an appropriate substitution for a change of variable in an integral?

There are no hard and fast rules for choosing an appropriate substitution for a change of variable in an integral. However, some common techniques include using trigonometric functions, logarithmic functions, or inverse functions. The goal is to find a substitution that simplifies the integral and makes it easier to solve.

5. Can change of variables be used in definite integrals?

Yes, change of variables can be used in both indefinite and definite integrals. In definite integrals, the limits of integration also need to be adjusted accordingly based on the substitution used. This allows us to solve a wider range of integrals and evaluate them more easily.