Transforming Double Integral with Change of Variables

In summary, the integral of sin(x+y)/(x+y) dydx over the region D can be evaluated by using the substitution u=y-x and v=x+y. The resulting integral becomes sin(v) and the bounds are 1≤v≤2 and -v≤u≤v.
Furbishkov

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral

∫∫sin(x+y)/(x+y) dydx over the region D

whereD⊆R2 is bounded by x+y=1, x+y=2, x-axis, and y-axis.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to use a change of variables but can not find any change of variables that work. One thing I thought would work is using u = sin(x+y) and v = (x+y) but finding the jacobian doesn't work with the u transformation.
This leads me to think I might need to do a taylor expansion instead.

Any help with a recommended change of variables or a step in the right way would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Furbishkov said:
One thing I thought would work is using u = sin(x+y) and v = (x+y)
Try something much simpler, but along similar lines.

Did you make a sketch of D? If not, do so. Add to it lines of constant v=x+y to see why this is a good choice. That might give you an idea of what to use for u.

I sketched D and put in the constant v=x+y but still can not see any good change of variable for u. The sin is really causing me problems. I constantly think I need to make my "u' have the sin term in it but can not come up with anything that works

Furbishkov said:
I sketched D and put in the constant v=x+y but still can not see any good change of variable for u. The sin is really causing me problems. I constantly think I need to make my "u' have the sin term in it but can not come up with anything that works
Given the substitution v=x+y, what is the most obvious way to define u? (It does not involve a trig function.)

You don't want the sine in the transformation. That's what haruspex was implying when he said to try something simpler.

1. haruspex said:
    Given the substitution v=x+y, what is the most obvious way to define u? (It does not involve a trig function.)
  2. Looking at my graph is seems to be convenient if I define u to be a constant, possibly u = 2? ... When I learned change of variables I was told I would never need to come up with the change of variable myself so that is why I'm having some troubles. I appreciate the help.

Furbishkov said:
  1. Looking at my graph is seems to be convenient if I define u to be a constant, possibly u = 2? ... When I learned change of variables I was told I would never need to come up with the change of variable myself so that is why I'm having some troubles. I appreciate the help.
What expression for u would result in the u, v coordinate system being Cartesian?

haruspex said:
What expression for u would result in the u, v coordinate system being Cartesian?
I still am completely stuck. Any way I look at it I get stuck with something I can't integrate with the sin in the integral. I am working off the assumption that v = x+y is correct. This would make my integral something like ∫ sin(v)/v . My last thought is to make u = 1/x+y. But this still seems to give me some integral that I can't solve...

Furbishkov said:
I still am completely stuck. Any way I look at it I get stuck with something I can't integrate with the sin in the integral. I am working off the assumption that v = x+y is correct. This would make my integral something like ∫ sin(v)/v . My last thought is to make u = 1/x+y. But this still seems to give me some integral that I can't solve...
Isn't u=y-x the most obvious choice, by a mile?
If you think that doesn't help, integrate wrt u first, making sure you get the limits right. They depend on v.

That change of variable makes sense when I look on it on a graph, thanks. Now for my bounds I get, 1≤v≤2 and -v≤u≤v . I worked out the integral to just become sin(v). Thanks for the help!

1. What is a change of variable integral?

A change of variable integral is a mathematical technique used to simplify the process of evaluating integrals. It involves substituting a new variable in place of the original variable in the integral, which can often make the integral easier to solve.

2. Why would one use a change of variable integral?

A change of variable integral can be used to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It can also be used to transform an integral into a different form that may be more familiar or easier to integrate.

3. How do you choose the new variable in a change of variable integral?

The new variable should be chosen in such a way that it simplifies the integral or transforms it into a more familiar form. This can often be achieved by looking at the integrand and identifying a substitution that will eliminate or simplify certain terms.

4. Are there any restrictions on the choice of the new variable in a change of variable integral?

Yes, there are some restrictions that should be considered when choosing the new variable. It should be a one-to-one function, meaning that each value of the original variable corresponds to exactly one value of the new variable. It should also be differentiable, meaning that the derivative of the new variable with respect to the original variable should exist and be continuous.

5. Can a change of variable be used for all types of integrals?

No, a change of variable may not always be applicable or useful for all types of integrals. It is most commonly used for definite integrals with continuous integrands, but may also be used for improper integrals or integrals with discontinuous integrands under certain conditions.