Change of variables in a differential equation

In summary: LATEX skills.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of transforming an equation and solving for the second derivative of a function. The conversation involves using the differential of a function and the common rules of differentiation, as well as understanding the chain rule. The final result is a partial solution, but there may be a mistake in the calculation process that results in a missing term.
jonjacson

Homework Statement

Transform the equation:

x2 * d2y/dx2 + 2 * x * dy/dx + (a2/x2)*y = 0

Using:

x=1/t

Homework Equations

The differential of a function of several variables, and the common rules of differentiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

As I have x as function of t I can calculate dx as function of t and dt. So:

dx = (-1/t2)* dt , equation 1

d2x = (2/t3)*dt2, equation 2 (I considered d2t=0 because it is the independent variable)

To calculate dy/dx I symply change dx by its value at equation 1 , so I get:

dy/dx= dy/ (-1/t2)*dt = -t2 * (dy/dt)

(According to the book this is correct)

Now the problem is d2y/dx2

1.- First question, Why is it a mistake to simply substitute dx2 for its value calculated in equation 2?

2.- According to the book I have to differenciate dy/dx which was equal to:

-t2 dy/dt

I do it simply calculating the differential of a product:

(-2 * t * dt )* dy/dt -t2 * d2y/dt

(I didn't differenciate dt, I assume d2t =0)

Simply dividing this value by dt I get what I expected to be the right result:

(-2*t) * dy/dt -t2 * d2y/dt2

But according to the book, this is wrong, I am missing a term arising from dx/dt.

This is what the book does:

d2y/dx2 = step 1 = d/dx (dy/dx) = step 2 = (d/dt ( dy/dx))/ ( dx/dt ) to get this result:- ( 2t dy/dt +t2 * d2y/dt2)(-t2)

I understand the step 1 it simply says that the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, but the step 2 is a mistery to me and it is the step that creates the term I am missing that is the dx/dt in the denominator. I try to differenciate thinking in terms of differentials, so I can manipulate them in the expressions like they were algebraic quantities, maybe I don't understand the operator version of the derivative.

The last term -t2 is what I didn't get in my calculation.

2.- Question two, in my previous calculation using differentials, Where I missed the dx/dt term?

Physics news on Phys.org
jonjacson said:
I have to differenciate dy/dx
Differentiate to x, not to t !

Likes jonjacson
BvU said:
Differentiate to x, not to t !

I don't get it, if I differenciate dy/dx to x I get d2y/dx2 right? But I am looking for d2y/dt2

jonjacson said:
I don't get it, if I differenciate dy/dx to x I get d2y/dx2 right? But I am looking for d2y/dt2

Chain rule!
$$ \frac{dy}{dt} = \frac{dy}{dx} \frac{dx}{dt},$$
etc.

Likes jonjacson
It's probably best to avoid using differentials here.

For a test function ##f##, the chain rule tells us that
$$\frac{df}{dx} = \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{df}{dt}.$$ In terms of operators, we'd say that
$$\frac{d}{dx} = \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt}.$$
To calculate ##dy/dx## then, we'd have
$$\frac{d}{dx} y = \left(\frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt}\right) y = \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{dy}{dt},$$
and for the second derivative, we'd get
\begin{align*}
\frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{d}{dx} y\right) &= \left(\frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt}\right) \left( \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt} \right) y \\
&= \left(\frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt}\right) \left( \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{dy}{dt} \right) \\
&= \frac{dt}{dx} \left[\left(\frac{d}{dt}\frac{dt}{dx}\right) \frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{dt}{dx} \frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{dy}{dt} \right) \right]
\end{align*}

Likes BvU and jonjacson
jonjacson said:
You calculated ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)##, but you appear to want ##\frac{d^2 y}{dt^2} = \frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dy}{dt}\right).## What you actually want is ##d^2 y/dx^2## in terms of ##y##, ##dy/dt##, and ##d^2y/dt^2## to substitute into the original differential equation.

Likes jonjacson
Thanks folks, now I see it.

Likes BvU
Well, I have tried it hard but I don't get the right result.

d. will mean "the differential of"

So we have:

dy/dt = dy/dx * dx/dt

And I want to differenciate it, an infinitesimal change on t will change dy and dx, so let's calculate it:

d. (dy/dt) = d. (dy/dx * dx/dt)

I regard dt2 as equal to 0 since it is the independent variable.

d2y/dt = d.(dy/dx) * dx/dt + d. (dx/dt) * dy/dx

I apply the quotient rule for dy/dx so I get:

((dx * d2y - d2x * dy )/dx2)

So we have this expression:

d2y/dt= ((dx * d2y - d2x * dy )/dx2) * dx/dt +d2x/dt * dy/dx

d2y/dt= (d2y/dx2) * (dx/dt) * dx - (dx/dt)* (d2x/dx2) *dy + (dy/dx) * (d2x/dt)

Now I calculate d2x/dx2, which is a second order differential divided by the square of the first order differential. As we know that x=1/t I get for this quotient 2t.

Now I divide the whole equation by dt, so finally I get:

d2y/dt2= (d2y/dx2) * (dx/dt) * (dx/dt) - (dx/dt)* (2t) *(dy/dt) + (dy/dx) * (d2x/dt^2)

Now I need to substitute the derivatives of x over t, eliminate dy/dx which was known from the start, and get d2y/dx2 as function of derivatives respect to t.

I use:

dx/dt= -1/t2

d2x/dt2 = 2/t^3

dy/dx = -t2 * dy/dt

d2y/dt2= (d2y/dx2) * (1/t4) - (-1/t2)* (2t) *(dy/dt) + (-t2 * dy/dt) * (2/t3)

The last two terms cancel out and I only get this result:

d2y/dt2= (d2y/dx2) * (1/t4)

Which is partially correct, but I failed to get an extra term since according to the book the right result is:

d2y/dx2 = 2t3 * dy/dt + t4 * d2y/dt2

So folks, Where is my mistake? Is there a fundamental conceptual problem differentiating? Or is it a small mistake somewhere?

I apologize for my lack of understanding.

jonjacson said:
I regard dt2 as equal to 0 since it is the independent variable
You can't. You also cannot ignore dx2 in the original differential equation.

Did you read Vela's #5 and #6 ? What is the reason you ignore those ?

jonjacson said:
I apply the quotient rule for dy/dx
dy/dx is not a quotient. It is a differential quotient.
jonjacson said:
so I get ((dx * d2y - d2x * dy )/dx2)
You should get ##\displaystyle {d^2y\over dx^2} dx ## because ##\displaystyle{d\over dx}\left (\displaystyle{dy\over dx} \right ) = \displaystyle{d^2 y\over dx^2}##

BvU said:
dy/dx is not a quotient. It is a differential quotient.
You should get ##\displaystyle {d^2y\over dx^2} dx ## because ##\displaystyle{d\over dx}\left (\displaystyle{dy\over dx} \right ) = \displaystyle{d^2 y\over dx^2}##

I didn't ignore, its just I read Euler Calculi differentialis and is the way I know to differenciate. I wanted to check if I got the right result but apparently I got it totally wrong and this was a disaster.

jonjacson said:

Homework Statement

Transform the equation:

x2 * d2y/dx2 + 2 * x * dy/dx + (a2/x2)*y = 0

Using:

x=1/t

Homework Equations

The differential of a function of several variables, and the common rules of differentiation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derivative

The Attempt at a Solution

As I have x as function of t I can calculate dx as function of t and dt. So:

dx = (-1/t2)* dt , equation 1

d2x = (2/t3)*dt2, equation 2 (I considered d2t=0 because it is the independent variable)

To calculate dy/dx I symply change dx by its value at equation 1 , so I get:

dy/dx= dy/ (-1/t2)*dt = -t2 * (dy/dt)

(According to the book this is correct)

Now the problem is d2y/dx2

1.- First question, Why is it a mistake to simply substitute dx2 for its value calculated in equation 2?

2.- According to the book I have to differenciate dy/dx which was equal to:

-t2 dy/dt

I do it simply calculating the differential of a product:

(-2 * t * dt )* dy/dt -t2 * d2y/dt

(I didn't differenciate dt, I assume d2t =0)

Simply dividing this value by dt I get what I expected to be the right result:

(-2*t) * dy/dt -t2 * d2y/dt2

But according to the book, this is wrong, I am missing a term arising from dx/dt.

This is what the book does:

d2y/dx2 = step 1 = d/dx (dy/dx) = step 2 = (d/dt ( dy/dx))/ ( dx/dt ) to get this result:- ( 2t dy/dt +t2 * d2y/dt2)(-t2)

I understand the step 1 it simply says that the second derivative is the derivative of the first derivative, but the step 2 is a mistery to me and it is the step that creates the term I am missing that is the dx/dt in the denominator. I try to differenciate thinking in terms of differentials, so I can manipulate them in the expressions like they were algebraic quantities, maybe I don't understand the operator version of the derivative.

The last term -t2 is what I didn't get in my calculation.

2.- Question two, in my previous calculation using differentials, Where I missed the dx/dt term?

Perhaps it would be better to eliminate the "differential" signs, and write the original DE as
$$x^2 y''(x) + 2 x y'(x) +\frac{a^2}{x^2} y(x) = 0$$.
You want to change variables to ##Y(t) = \left. y(x) \right|_{x=1/t} = y(1/t)##.

The chain rule gives you
$$Y'(t) = \left. y'(x) \right|_{x=1/t} \: \cdot \frac{d}{dt} \frac{1}{t} = -\frac{1}{t^2} y'(1/t)$$.
In a similar way you can get ##Y''(t) = (d/dt) Y'(t)## in terms of ##y'(x)## and ##y''(x)##, evaluated at ##x = 1/t##.

Likes jonjacson
jonjacson said:
.. totally wrong and this was a disaster.
Not totally wrong, no disaster: the dx * d2y /dx2 is there alright !

So far, the step to get ##\displaystyle {dy\over dx} ## in terms of ##t## has been successful. Next step is to get ##\displaystyle {d^2 y\over dx^2 }## using a similar procedure. As Ray says (and Vela and ..). Give it a try. ##\displaystyle {d^2 y\over dt^2 }## will pop up, don't worry.

Likes jonjacson

1. How does a change of variables affect a differential equation?

A change of variables in a differential equation can make the equation easier to solve or can reveal new insights about the behavior of the system. It can also help to transform the equation into a more familiar form, allowing for more efficient calculations.

2. When should a change of variables be used in a differential equation?

A change of variables should be used when the original form of the equation is difficult to solve or understand. It can also be used to simplify the equation or to make it more applicable to a specific problem or scenario.

3. What are some common types of changes of variables used in differential equations?

Some common types of changes of variables include substitution, linear transformation, and change of independent or dependent variable. Each type has its own specific purpose and can be used to simplify or transform the equation in different ways.

4. How can a change of variables be verified in a differential equation?

A change of variables can be verified by substituting the new variables into the original equation and confirming that the resulting equation is equivalent to the original one. This can also be done by graphing the solutions of both equations and comparing them.

5. Can a change of variables be applied to any differential equation?

In theory, a change of variables can be applied to any differential equation. However, the effectiveness and usefulness of the change may vary depending on the specific equation and the chosen variables. It is important to carefully consider the purpose and potential impact of the change before applying it.