Finding the second derivative of a given parametric equation

In summary: Your remark below is not correct Mark..."What your notation should show is the operator d/dt being applied to the product of dy/dx and dt/dx"...my take is that,##\frac {d}{dt}## (##\frac {dy}{dx}##⋅##\frac {dt}{dx}##)...will not give us the desired result...rather, the form;##(\frac {d}{dt}## ⋅##\frac {dy}{dx})####\frac {dt}{dx}## should be the correct approach on this kind of... differentiation problem.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached below
Relevant Equations
parametric equations differentiation
1626049286842.png

ok this is pretty straightforward to me, my question is on the order of differentiation, i know that:
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}.####\frac {dy}{dx}.####\frac {dt}{dx}##
is it correct to have,
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}##.##\frac {dt}{dx}##.##\frac {dy}{dx}##?
that is,
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}####\frac {dy}{dx}####\frac {dt}{dx}##=[##\frac {d}{dt}####.\frac {1}{2t}##]##\frac {1}{t}##

does the order really matter?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can check it for yourself by calculating the both ways.

I already checked. I realize the same result...just wanted to know if the steps is accepted mathematically...

i am wrong...i just checked with another example
1626051375280.png

the order does matter...

thanks anuttarasammyak:cool:

Likes anuttarasammyak
How did they find the critical point##(-4,6)##? in post ##4##, for the other two i.e ##(5,4)## and ##(-3,-4)## its pretty straightforward ...we use ##t=1## and ##t=-1##.
on my attempt of the other critical value, i used;
##t=2##, this should also give us a critical value because it is undefined at this point and therefore we ought to have critical point ##(-4,4)## and not ##(-4,6)## as shown on text. someone clarify this...

Last edited:
It seems to depend on how your textbook is defining "critical points".
(5,4) and (-3,-4) are stationary points where maximum and minimum of y are observed.
(-4,6) is stationary point where minimum of x is observed.

anuttarasammyak said:
It seems to depend on how your textbook is defining "critical points".
(5,4) and (-3,-4) are stationary points where maximum and minimum of y are observed.
(-4,6) is stationary point where maximum of x is observed.
why ##(x,y)=(-4,6)##? and not ##(-4,4)##...my interest is on the ##y## value, why ##y=6## and not ##y=4##?

Because x(2)=-4, y(2)=6. (-4,4) is not on the graph.

##y(2)=6##?, interesting hmmmm...

chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached below
Relevant Equations:: parametric equations differentiation

View attachment 285817

ok this is pretty straightforward to me, my question is on the order of differentiation, i know that:
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}.####\frac {dy}{dx}.####\frac {dt}{dx}##
is it correct to have,
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}##.##\frac {dt}{dx}##.##\frac {dy}{dx}##?
Your notation is incorrect, and might be the source of your confusion.
The problem is that you have the product of d/dt, dy/dx, and dt/dx. What your notation should show is the operator d/dt being applied to the product of dy/dx and dt/dx. IOW, like this:
Edited:
##\frac d{dt}\left(\frac {dy}{dt} \cdot \frac {dt} {dx}\right)##.
Inside the parentheses, the order of the product doesn't matter.
chwala said:
that is,
##\frac {d^2y}{dx^2}=####\frac {d}{dt}####\frac {dy}{dx}####\frac {dt}{dx}##=[##\frac {d}{dt}####.\frac {1}{2t}##]##\frac {1}{t}##

does the order really matter?
In what you wrote above, the order does matter because it's ##\frac d {dt}## of ##\frac{1}{2t}##, not the product ##\frac d {dt}## times ##\frac{1}{2t}##,

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Mark44 said:
The problem is that you have the product of d/dt, dy/dx, and dt/dx. What your notation should show is the operator d/dt being applied to the product of dy/dx and dt/dx. IOW, like this:
Edited:

In what you wrote above, the order does matter because it's ##\frac d {dt}## of ##\frac{1}{2t}##, not the product ##\frac d {dt}## times ##\frac{1}{2t}##,
Yeah, I saw my confusion Mark...cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark44 said:
Edited:

Your remark below is not correct Mark...
"What your notation should show is the operator d/dt being applied to the product of dy/dx and dt/dx"...

my take is that,
##\frac {d}{dt}## (##\frac {dy}{dx}##⋅##\frac {dt}{dx}##)...will not give us the desired result...rather, the form;
##(\frac {d}{dt}## ⋅##\frac {dy}{dx})####\frac {dt}{dx}## should be the correct approach on this kind of problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
chwala said:
Your remark below is not correct Mark...
"What your notation should show is the operator d/dt being applied to the product of dy/dx and dt/dx"...

my take is that,
##\frac {d}{dt}## (##\frac {dy}{dx}##⋅##\frac {dt}{dx}##)...will not give us the desired result...
Typo on my part. I inadvertently wrote dy/dx, but meant dy/dt inside the parentheses. I'll go back and correct what I wrote.
chwala said:
rather, the form;
##(\frac {d}{dt}## ⋅##\frac {dy}{dx})####\frac {dt}{dx}## should be the correct approach on this kind of problems.
No, that's not it, either. Too be honest, I didn't check all your work -- I just spotted something that was in error and commented on it.
Since the problem is to find ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}##, you need to take this derivative: ##\frac d{dx}\left( \frac{dy}{dx}\right) = \frac d{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx}\right)##.

To do this, you're going to need to use the chain rule and the product rule.

Your expression ##\left(\frac d{dt} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} \right)\frac{dt}{dx}## is incorrect because it doesn't use the product rule.

Also, it's not a good idea to write ##\frac d{dt} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}##. To the reader it looks like you're multiplying the differentiation operator times dy/dx. That's not at all what's happening. What you're doing is applying the differentiation operator to dy/dx.

Mark44 said:
Typo on my part. I inadvertently wrote dy/dx, but meant dy/dt inside the parentheses. I'll go back and correct what I wrote.

No, that's not it, either. Too be honest, I didn't check all your work -- I just spotted something that was in error and commented on it.
Since the problem is to find ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}##, you need to take this derivative: ##\frac d{dx}\left( \frac{dy}{dx}\right) = \frac d{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx}\right)##.

Your expression ##\left(\frac d{dt} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} \right)\frac{dt}{dx}## is incorrect because it doesn't use the product rule.

Also, it's not a good idea to write ##\frac d{dt} \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}##. To the reader it looks like you're multiplying the differentiation operator times dy/dx. That's not at all what's happening. What you're doing is applying the differentiation operator to dy/dx.
Thanks Mark, i will not use the symbol {⋅}... in future working.

chwala said:
Thanks Mark, i will not use the symbol {⋅}... in future working.
we are seeking to find the second derivative and have already found the values of,
##\frac{dy}{dx}## and ##\frac{dx}{dt}##, now to find the desired second derivative, i think its just a straightforward method, like I've indicated...no need for further chain rule or product rule...
This is straight to the point,
##(\frac {d}{dt}## of ##\frac {dy}{dx})##times ##\frac {dt}{dx}##... same as the textbook suggests as in my post ##1## above.

Mark44 said:

The expression is correct...

chwala said:
The expression is correct...
Yes

chwala said:
i think its just a straightforward method, like I've indicated...no need for further chain rule or product rule...
Maybe no further chain rule or product rule, but in going from this:
$$\frac d{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx}\right) \dots$$
to this:
$$\frac {dy}{dt} \cdot \frac d{dx}\left( \frac{dt}{dx}\right)$$
you have to use 1) the product rule (one of the terms in the product turns out to be zero), and 2) the chain rule.

You don't show that work, so it's not clear to me that you realize this.

Mark44 said:
YesMaybe no further chain rule or product rule, but in going from this:
$$\frac d{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dt} \cdot \frac{dt}{dx}\right) \dots$$
to this:
$$\frac {dy}{dt} \cdot \frac d{dx}\left( \frac{dt}{dx}\right)$$
you have to use 1) the product rule (one of the terms in the product turns out to be zero), and 2) the chain rule.

You don't show that work, so it's not clear to me that you realize this.
I fully understand what you are saying, its pretty obvious that in finding the first derivative, one has to use chain rule... I know that.
My interest was on dealing with the part of finding the second derivative. Thanks Mark, great day...

chwala said:
My interest was on dealing with the part of finding the second derivative.
Which is what I was explaining...

Likes chwala

1. What is the purpose of finding the second derivative of a parametric equation?

The second derivative of a parametric equation allows us to determine the rate of change of the first derivative, which can provide information about the curvature and concavity of the curve represented by the parametric equation.

2. How do you find the second derivative of a parametric equation?

To find the second derivative, we first differentiate the parametric equations with respect to the parameter. Then, we use the chain rule to differentiate the resulting expressions with respect to the parameter again.

3. Can the second derivative of a parametric equation be negative?

Yes, the second derivative of a parametric equation can be negative. This indicates that the curve is concave downwards at that point, meaning that the rate of change of the slope is decreasing.

4. What is the significance of the second derivative being zero?

If the second derivative of a parametric equation is zero, it means that the curve has a point of inflection at that point. This is where the concavity of the curve changes from concave upwards to concave downwards, or vice versa.

5. Can the second derivative of a parametric equation be undefined?

Yes, the second derivative of a parametric equation can be undefined. This occurs when the first derivative is discontinuous or undefined at a certain point, making it impossible to calculate the second derivative at that point.