Change of variables in a double integral

In summary: If you use the change of variables u=2xy, v=x2−y2 , then u2 + v2 = (x2 + y2)2 , which is a bit nicer.
tjackson3

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the plane region R in the first quadrant of the xy plane that is bounded by the hyperbolas [itex]xy=1, xy=2, x^2-y^2 = 3, x^2-y^2 = 5[/itex] where the density at the point x,y is [itex]\rho(x,y) = x^2 + y^2.[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The region of integration lends itself to the change of variables [itex]u = xy, v = x^2-y^2.[/itex] However, if I make this change of variables, it seems impossible to solve for x and y. Is there a better change of variables to make?

Physics news on Phys.org
tjackson3 said:

Homework Statement

Find the mass of the plane region R in the first quadrant of the xy plane that is bounded by the hyperbolas [itex]xy=1, xy=2, x^2-y^2 = 3, x^2-y^2 = 5[/itex] where the density at the point x,y is [itex]\rho(x,y) = x^2 + y^2.[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The region of integration lends itself to the change of variables [itex]u = xy, v = x^2-y^2.[/itex] However, if I make this change of variables, it seems impossible to solve for x and y. Is there a better change of variables to make?
Why do you want to solve for x & y ?

At the very least, I need to solve for [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex]

tjackson3 said:
At the very least, I need to solve for [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex]

Square v, that gives you x4 - 2x2y2 + y4

If you add 4x2y2 to that you will have x4 + 2x2y2 + y4 .

Does that help ?

Very much. Thank you!

By the way:

If you use the change of variables u=2xy, v=x2−y2 , then u2 + v2 = (x2 + y2)2 , which is a bit nicer.

The only reason I was able to help so quickly, was that I recently helped with a problem having a similar change of variable.

Ah that is much nicer. Haha don't be modest now! Thanks again!

Related to Change of variables in a double integral

1. What is a change of variables in a double integral?

A change of variables in a double integral is a method used to transform the coordinates in a double integral from one coordinate system to another. This is useful in simplifying the integral and making it easier to solve.

2. Why is a change of variables necessary in a double integral?

A change of variables is necessary in a double integral when the original coordinates are not well-suited for solving the integral. By transforming the coordinates, the integral can be rewritten in a simpler form, making it easier to solve.

3. How do you perform a change of variables in a double integral?

To perform a change of variables in a double integral, first determine the new coordinates you want to use. Then, write the original integral in terms of the new coordinates using the appropriate transformation equations. Finally, solve the integral using the new coordinates.

4. What are some common transformations used in a change of variables for double integrals?

Some common transformations used in a change of variables for double integrals include polar coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates. These transformations are often used when the region of integration has circular or spherical symmetry.

5. Can a change of variables be used in any type of double integral?

Yes, a change of variables can be used in any type of double integral, as long as the transformation equations are well-defined and the new coordinates are appropriate for the region of integration. However, it may not always be necessary or beneficial to use a change of variables in every double integral.