Change the wavelength in a driven rope?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving joined strings, where the frequency, tension, and wave speed of the strings may or may not be different. The junction between the strings must satisfy the requirements of continuity and equal tensions, but the ropes themselves may or may not be identical. The wavelength of the waves on each string is affected by the linear density, with the wave speed being determined by the tension and mass per unit length. It is important to consider these factors when trying to solve the problem.
Edel Crine
Homework Statement
You and a friend each have one rope. You tie the two ropes together
and stand as far apart as possible, each holding one end
of the new longer rope and pulling to put it under tension. You
then begin moving your arm in such a way as to produce a harmonic
wave with a wavelength of 1.0 m. Your friend looks at
the waves as they reach her arm. Is it possible that she measures
a wavelength of (a) 0.8 m, (b) 1.0 m, or (c) 1.2 m?
Relevant Equations
λ=cT
I think I know what this problem means, but not sure how can I do quantitative work to solve it.
I think only a would work because of friction of string, the reflected waves from the junction between two strings like that.
Although, I am not sure how can I build the process, but this was my guess...

Physics news on Phys.org
Edel Crine said:
because of friction of string
You may assume "no friction" (nothing was said about that).

Edel Crine said:
the reflected waves from the junction between two strings like that
You may assume the knot is behaving as an infinitely short piece of rope

Edel Crine said:
how can I do quantitative work
There is only one quantitative piece of information given !

However, nothing is said in the sense of "both ropes are identical in mass per length..." 🤔

Likes Edel Crine
Hi. Don't worry about reflection - the problem is about possible change of wavelength as a wave moves along joined strings. There are no calculations needed - you are just asked if each of the 3 answers is possible. You need to know how different factors (e.g. tension) affect wave speed.

Call the ropes A and B.

Q1. Can the frequency (or period if you prefer) of waves on A be different to the frequency (or period) of waves on B? (Hint: what happens at the junction?)
Q2. Can the tensions of A and B be different? (Hint: what happens at the junction?)
Q3. Can the wave speeds on A and B be different (Hint: what factors affect wave speed on a string?)

Using λ = c/f (= cT), and using your answers to Q1-3, can you answer the question?

Likes Edel Crine
BvU said:
You may assume "no friction" (nothing was said about that).

You may assume the knot is behaving as an infinitely short piece of rope

There is only one quantitative piece of information given !

However, nothing is said in the sense of "both ropes are identical in mass per length..." 🤔
Then think all of them could be an answer...??

Steve4Physics said:
Hi. Don't worry about reflection - the problem is about possible change of wavelength as a wave moves along joined strings. There are no calculations needed - you are just asked if each of the 3 answers is possible. You need to know how different factors (e.g. tension) affect wave speed.

Call the ropes A and B.

Q1. Can the frequency (or period if you prefer) of waves on A be different to the frequency (or period) of waves on B? (Hint: what happens at the junction?)
Q2. Can the tensions of A and B be different? (Hint: what happens at the junction?)
Q3. Can the wave speeds on A and B be different (Hint: what factors affect wave speed on a string?)

Using λ = c/f (= cT), and using your answers to Q1-3, can you answer the question?
Q1. Since it does not tell that those ropes are identical, the frequency could be different if the ropes are different (different medium?)
Q2. If those ropes are different, yes; no if they are same..?
Q3. The wave speed is changed by tension and mass per unit length, so if two ropes are different, yes; no when they are same...?

Or probably it could be different because of junction...?

The frequency is unchanged when a wave passes from one medium to the other. The speed of the waves in each section is ##\sqrt{T/\mu}##, and the wavelength in the medium thus ##\lambda = \frac{1}{f}\sqrt{\frac{T}{\mu}}##. The tensions in both sections are the same, since you require equilibrium in the horizontal direction at the knot. So the functional dependence on wavelength is just on the linear density, ##\lambda = \lambda(\mu)##.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Steve4Physics and Edel Crine
I really appreciate every one of you who helped me to grasp the concept... Soooo thank you...! It's sad that I can't give like multiple times...

Hi. I'd just like to add:

The frequencies of the 2 strings *MUST* be the same or the junction would be torn apart. Having the same frequencies comes from the requirement for continuity (no breaks in the strings).

The tensions of the 2 strings *MUST* be equal. Or the junction would have a (horizontal) resultant force and accelerate horizontally - which it clearly can't do.

The ropes may or may not be identical. If identical, the wave speeds are the same and wavelength is unchanged. If one rope has a higher linear density, the wave speed on it is slower, so its the wavelength is shorter (since λ=v/f and f is unchanged).

Likes Edel Crine

1. How does changing the wavelength in a driven rope affect the speed of the wave?

Changing the wavelength in a driven rope does not affect the speed of the wave. The speed of the wave is determined by the tension and mass of the rope, not the wavelength.

2. Can changing the wavelength in a driven rope change the frequency of the wave?

Yes, changing the wavelength in a driven rope can change the frequency of the wave. The frequency of a wave is inversely proportional to its wavelength, so as the wavelength decreases, the frequency increases.

3. How does changing the wavelength in a driven rope affect the amplitude of the wave?

Changing the wavelength in a driven rope does not directly affect the amplitude of the wave. However, if the tension or mass of the rope is changed in order to change the wavelength, it can indirectly affect the amplitude of the wave.

4. Can changing the wavelength in a driven rope change the direction of the wave?

No, changing the wavelength in a driven rope does not change the direction of the wave. The direction of the wave is determined by the direction of the initial disturbance or force applied to the rope.

5. Is there a limit to how much the wavelength in a driven rope can be changed?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the wavelength in a driven rope can be changed. This limit is determined by the length and properties of the rope, as well as the amount of tension that can be applied to it. If the wavelength is changed beyond this limit, the rope may break or the wave may not propagate properly.