Changing iPhone Battery: Tips for DIY NiMH Replacement | 1810 mAh to 300 mAh

In summary: The phone will refuse to work with a NiMH battery if it detects any problems with the battery.6. There are various ways to check the health of your battery, and if there are any problems, your phone will give you warnings.In summary, you need to be very careful when replacing your iPhone battery, and be prepared for some technical difficulties.
Infinityze
So for a DIY project I'm doing, I want to replace my iPhone battery (about 1810 mAh, 3.7V) with a NiMH battery (300 mAh, 1.2V) but I need help getting past some of the problems (and maybe more).
First of all. I've read that iPhone batteries are non-removable, is this true?
I've also read that I will require more circuitry to do this, but I'm not sure what.
Will the battery still run on 1.2V? If not, do I have to do something like put 3 of them in series?
Are there any other problems I need to work around?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't do it. You will just break the phone. Mechanically, but also in terms of its electronics.

- voltage has to be right, it won't work with 1.2 V. And your 1.2 V battery probably does not have exactly 1.2 V, so 3 batteries in series could give anything from ~4.5 V to ~3V.
- the battery has to be able to deliver enough peak current at a reasonable voltage. The built-in battery is designed for exactly this task, your other battery is not.
- the phone has a lot of electronics to monitor the battery to avoid damage to battery and phone. That electronics can give nonsense output if your battery is different in any aspect, with unclear consequences.

Likes Jeff Rosenbury
Not sure why you want to do this. Could you explain?

mfb is correct.

1. NiMH batteries and Li-ion batteries have completely different charge profiles, so the iphone charger will not properly charge the batteries. probably damage the phone.
(by iphone charger, I mean the battery controller in the phone, not the wall wart or USB supply)
2. NiMH is 1.2V, li-ion is 3.6
2. You will never get decent power density with NiMH compared to Li-ion.
3. Fitting 3 NiMH batteries into the iphone will be impossible.
4. Depending on your iphone model, the battery replacement is non trivial even with a proper Li-ion replacement battery.

Likes davenn

1. How do I know when it's time to change my iPhone battery?

The most common sign that your iPhone battery needs to be changed is a significant decrease in battery life. If you find that your phone is running out of battery much more quickly than before, it may be time to consider changing the battery.

2. Can I change my iPhone battery myself?

Yes, it is possible to change your iPhone battery yourself. However, it is recommended to have it done by a professional to avoid any damage to your device. If you are not experienced in this type of repair, it is best to take it to an authorized service provider.

3. How much does it cost to change an iPhone battery?

The cost of changing an iPhone battery can vary depending on the model of your phone and where you take it for the replacement. Generally, it can range from $50 to $100.

4. Will changing my iPhone battery affect my data or settings?

No, changing your iPhone battery should not affect your data or settings. However, it is always recommended to back up your device before any repairs, just in case.

5. How often should I change my iPhone battery?

The typical lifespan of an iPhone battery is around 500 charge cycles, which can last about 2-3 years with regular use. It is recommended to change your battery when it starts showing signs of deterioration, rather than waiting for a specific timeframe.