Changing Order of Triple Integration

We can then do the "innermost" integral first, replacing x by z, then the "middle" integral replacing x by \sqrt{y} and then the "outermost" integral. In that order we have \int_0^4\int_0^\sqrt{y}\int_0^z F(z, y, z) dxdzdy.In summary, when changing the order of integration from dx dy dz to dz dx dy, the limits of the outermost integral must be constants while the limits of the innermost two integrals can be functions of the other variables. It is important to carefully sketch or describe the volume being enclosed in order to correctly determine the new limits of integration.
njo

Homework Statement

[tex]\int_0^5 \int_0^2 \int_0^{4-y^2}\ \, dxdydx[/tex]

Change order to dydxdz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused mainly because the limits are mostly numbers, not functions. I graphed the limits in @D and #d and this is what I got: [tex]\int_0^{4-y^2} \int_0^5 \int_0^2\ \, dydxdz[/tex]

Not sure if its correct because I have a function on the outer integral, I can't check my work.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
njo said:

Homework Statement

Change order to dydxdz

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm confused mainly because the limits are mostly numbers, not functions. I graphed the limits in @D and #d and this is what I got: [tex]\int_0^{4-y^2} \int_0^5 \int_0^2\ \, dydxdz[/tex]

Not sure if its correct because I have a function on the outer integral, I can't check my work.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

It is clearly incorrect because you have variables in the outer integral limits. You need to start by sketching, or at least describing carefully, the volume being enclosed.

njo said:

Homework Statement

Change order to dydxdz
You obviously have a typo in the volume element there.

you have dx dy dx .

dx is repeated, no dz.

The limits on the "innermost" integration can be functions of the other two variables. The limits on the "middle" integration can be functions only of the one remaining variable and the limits of integration on the "outermost" integral must be constants. For example, integrating "dydzdx" we must have something like [itex]\int_a^b\int_{c(x)}^{d(x)}\int_{e(x,y)}^{f(x,y)} F(x,y,z) dydzdx[/itex].

With [itex]\int_0^2\int_0^{x^2}\int_0^{x+ y} F(x, y, z) dzdydx[/itex] then x varies from 0 to 2, for each x, y varies from 0 to x^2, and, for each x and y, z varies from 0 to x+ y. If you were to graph the first two, it would be a "curved triangle" with one side the x-axis, one side the line x= 2, and the third side the curve [itex]y= x^2[/itex] which crosses x= 2 at (2, 4). If we only wanted to reverse dx and dy, to dzdxdy, note that, overall, y goes from 0 to 4 and that, for every y, x goes from 0 on the left to y= x^2, so [itex]x= \sqrt{y}[/itex]. The integral, in that order, would be [itex]\int_0^4\int_0^\sqrt{y} F(x, y, z) dzdxdy[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Changing Order of Triple Integration

1. What is the purpose of changing the order of triple integration?

The purpose of changing the order of triple integration is to simplify the integration process and make it easier to solve complex problems. By rearranging the order of integration, we can often reduce the number of integration steps needed and make the integrand function easier to integrate.

2. How do you determine the new limits of integration when changing the order of triple integration?

The new limits of integration are determined by considering the original limits of integration and the order in which the variables are being integrated. The limits for the innermost integral remain the same, while the limits for the outer integrals are determined by the range of the variables being integrated. It is important to carefully consider the orientation of the new limits in relation to the original limits to ensure the correct values are used.

3. Can any integral be changed to a different order of integration?

No, not all integrals can be changed to a different order of integration. The integrand function must be continuous and the integral limits must be finite for the change of order to be valid. In addition, the order of integration cannot be changed if the integrand function depends on more than three variables.

4. What is the recommended order to change triple integration?

The recommended order to change triple integration is from the inside out, meaning the innermost integral should be evaluated first. This is because the innermost integral is usually the simplest and has the fewest variables, making it easier to integrate. Additionally, this method often reduces the number of integration steps needed.

5. Are there any tips for changing the order of triple integration?

Yes, there are a few tips that can make changing the order of triple integration easier. These include carefully considering the orientation of the new limits, making sure to use the appropriate variables for each integral, and checking the final result by evaluating the integral in the original order to ensure the same value is obtained.