Changing the water levels of a lake

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem related to anti-derivatives and linear approximation. The problem involves finding the equation for the line in part c and understanding what item iv means in terms of the city, lake, and IES budget in part b. The person asking the question is also stuck on part a and is unclear on the meaning of (w')^-1(1). The expert explains that (w')^-1(1) is equivalent to (w^{-1})'(1) and represents the rate at which time for the water to decrease amount x is changing.
Kingyou123

Homework Statement

Attached problem

Homework Equations

Anti-derivatives, linear approx. F(a)=f(a)+F'(a)(x-a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on the first part, I think (w')^-1(1)= W which is 1. It seems too easy... and for part c I'm having trouble finding the equation for the line. I figured that if I graph it on my calculator and use a regression test to find the equation

Attachments

• 20151109_195705.jpg
    20151109_195705.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 318
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    18.5 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The attachment is way too zoomed out for me to read. Can you type the problem statement into the forum? That would help... :smile:

berkeman said:
The attachment is way too zoomed out for me to read. Can you type the problem statement into the forum? That would help... :smile:
updated it, sorry for that.

Is your question just the part that is checked: "(b) Explain what item iv means in terms of the city, lake, and IES budget"?

Item iv is "[itex](w^{-1})'(1)[/itex]". Since w(t) is the depth of water in the lake at time t, [itex]w^{-1}(x)[/itex] is the time at which the level of the lake is x. Then [itex](w^{-1})'(x)[/itex] is the rate at which time for the water to decrease amount x is changing.

HallsofIvy said:
Is your question just the part that is checked: "(b) Explain what item iv means in terms of the city, lake, and IES budget"?

Item iv is "[itex](w^{-1})'(1)[/itex]". Since w(t) is the depth of water in the lake at time t, [itex]w^{-1}(x)[/itex] is the time at which the level of the lake is x. Then [itex](w^{-1})'(x)[/itex] is the rate at which time for the water to decrease amount x is changing.
My question is on part a, I'm confused what(w')^-1(1) is. Thank you for help with part B :)

Last edited:

1. How does changing the water levels of a lake affect the ecosystem?

Changing the water levels of a lake can have a significant impact on the ecosystem. It can alter the availability of food and habitat for aquatic plants and animals, disrupt breeding and migration patterns, and affect water quality.

2. What methods are used to change the water levels of a lake?

There are several methods used to change the water levels of a lake, including dams, water diversions, and pumping stations. These can either increase or decrease the water levels, depending on the purpose and need.

3. What are the potential benefits of changing the water levels of a lake?

Changing the water levels of a lake can have various benefits, such as flood control, hydroelectric power generation, water supply for irrigation or human consumption, and recreational activities like boating and fishing.

4. What are the potential negative impacts of changing the water levels of a lake?

There can be several negative impacts of changing the water levels of a lake, such as displacement of aquatic plants and animals, loss of habitat, alteration of shoreline and wetland areas, and changes in water quality. It can also have socio-economic effects on communities that rely on the lake for their livelihood.

5. How are decisions made about changing the water levels of a lake?

The decision to change the water levels of a lake is typically made by a governing body, such as a government agency or a water management organization. They consider various factors, such as environmental impact assessments, stakeholder input, and water needs, before implementing any changes.