Channel length modulation in a MOSFET

In summary, channel length modulation is a short-channel effect in MOSFETs that causes a reduction in channel length and an increase in current with an increase in drain bias. This effect is due to the control of the current flow by both the gate and drain, and is more pronounced in devices with shorter source-to-drain separation, deeper drain junctions, and thicker oxide insulators. It is similar to the Early effect observed in bipolar devices. This effect is also known as drain-induced barrier lowering and can be observed in the weak inversion region. The presence of an electric field allows for electrons to flow from the channel-pinch off to the drain, similar to a capacitor.
jaus tail
Hi,
I'm struggling to understand how channel length modulation takes place in mosfet. The books n internet said that as drain side is positive, there is less potential difference between positive gate and positive drain, while there is more potential difference between positive gate and zero voltage source. thus the channel is less dense at the drain side.

but i don't understand this. shouldn't the positive drain also repel holes and help the positive gate in creating the channel? won't the two (gate and drain) act like voltage sources in parallel and help each other in creating the channel?

can anyone help me understand this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jaus tail said:
Hi,
I'm struggling to understand how channel length modulation takes place in mosfet. The books n internet said that as drain side is positive, there is less potential difference between positive gate and positive drain, while there is more potential difference between positive gate and zero voltage source. thus the channel is less dense at the drain side.

hi there :smile:
this explanation may be easier to understand ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_length_modulation

One of several short-channel effects in MOSFET scaling, channel length modulation (CLM) is a shortening of the length of the inverted channel region with increase in drain bias for large drain biases. The result of CLM is an increase in current with drain bias and a reduction of output resistance. Channel length modulation occurs in all field effect transistors, not just MOSFETs.

To understand the effect, first the notion of pinch-off of the channel is introduced. The channel is formed by attraction of carriers to the gate, and the current drawn through the channel is nearly a constant independent of drain voltage in saturation mode. However, near the drain, the gate and drain jointly determine the electric field pattern. Instead of flowing in a channel, beyond the pinch-off point the carriers flow in a subsurface pattern made possible because the drain and the gate both control the current. In the figure at the right, the channel is indicated by a dashed line and becomes weaker as the drain is approached, leaving a gap of uninverted silicon between the end of the formed inversion layer and the drain (the pinch-off region).

As the drain voltage increases, its control over the current extends further toward the source, so the uninverted region expands toward the source, shortening the length of the channel region, the effect called channel-length modulation. Because resistance is proportional to length, shortening the channel decreases its resistance, causing an increase in current with increase in drain bias for a MOSFET operating in saturation. The effect is more pronounced the shorter the source-to-drain separation, the deeper the drain junction, and the thicker the oxide insulator.

In the weak inversion region, the influence of the drain analogous to channel-length modulation leads to poorer device turn off behavior known as drain-induced barrier lowering, a drain induced lowering of threshold voltage.

In bipolar devices a similar increase in current is seen with increased collector voltage due to base-narrowing, known as the Early effect. The similarity in effect upon the current has led to use of the term "Early effect" for MOSFETs as well, as an alternative name for "channel-length modulation".
Dave

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Hi,

but i don't understand this. shouldn't the positive drain also repel holes and help the positive gate in creating the channel? won't the two (gate and drain) act like voltage sources in parallel and help each other in creating the channel?

can anyone help me understand this?
You are mixing in question onset of pinch-off and DIBL (drain-induced barrier lowering) effects - at onset of pinch-off 2nd derivative Id(Vds) is negative, but DIBL produce positive derivative of Id(Vds).

Likes jaus tail
Sorry for the late reply. My exams are going on, so I just read the reply and didn't get back to you guys. What I'm struggling to understand is that if there is no channel, how do electrons go from channel-pinch off to drain? Is it like a capacitor where the electric field helps the electrons fly the space that doesn't have the channel?

Ids = K/2 (Vgs-Vt)2 In Saturation Region.

jaus tail said:
Sorry for the late reply. My exams are going on, so I just read the reply and didn't get back to you guys. What I'm struggling to understand is that if there is no channel, how do electrons go from channel-pinch off to drain? Is it like a capacitor where the electric field helps the electrons fly the space that doesn't have the channel?

Ids = K/2 (Vgs-Vt)2 In Saturation Region.
Very similar discussion with answer is on researchgate:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/Why_actually_the_pinch_off_happens_at_the_MOSFET_drain_region_when_drain_to_source_voltage_is_increasing_for_constant_VGS

1. What is channel length modulation in a MOSFET?

Channel length modulation in a MOSFET is a phenomenon that occurs when the channel length of the MOSFET decreases as the voltage across the device increases. This results in a decrease in the effective channel resistance and an increase in the current flowing through the device.

2. How does channel length modulation affect the performance of a MOSFET?

Channel length modulation can have both positive and negative effects on the performance of a MOSFET. On one hand, it can increase the current flowing through the device, which can improve its speed and efficiency. However, it can also cause non-linear behavior and distortion in the output signal.

3. What causes channel length modulation in a MOSFET?

Channel length modulation is caused by the depletion region that forms between the source and drain of a MOSFET. As the voltage across the device increases, the depletion region expands, causing the effective channel length to decrease and leading to channel length modulation.

4. How is channel length modulation quantified in a MOSFET?

Channel length modulation is quantified by a parameter known as the channel length modulation coefficient, which is denoted by λ. This coefficient represents the change in channel length for a given change in drain-source voltage. A higher value of λ indicates a stronger channel length modulation effect.

5. Can channel length modulation be controlled in a MOSFET?

Yes, channel length modulation can be controlled to some extent in a MOSFET. By adjusting the doping concentration and dimensions of the device, the channel length modulation coefficient can be reduced. Additionally, the use of short channel devices and specialized designs can also help mitigate the effects of channel length modulation.