Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of determining which parallel mosfet is short circuited without physically taking each one out and measuring it. The person suggests using a fuse and LED to isolate the faulty mosfet, but acknowledges that it may not work if the failure is not in the G-S connection. The voltage in the circuit is not high enough to cause damage if a mosfet is shorted to its gate.
artis
I am now faced with a problem. Part of the circuit I'm making consists of a row of many parallel mosfets.
Parallel as in the drains are all tied to a rail and the sources also.
I wonder, if one of the mosfets goes bad for whatever reason , how could I be able to tell without physically taking each mosfet's drain or source off the rail?

Is it even possible to determine electronically by some clever circuit which one of many parallel mosfets is short circuited without physically taking each mosfet out and measuring?One quick thought that comes to mind is , it depends on how the mosfet fails, if it fails D-S short but gate stays unaffected then I can't imagine a way to tell apart from taking the mosfet out , but if the mosfet fails as I think they usually do with all 3 pins shorted - that is GDS all shorted then the control circuitry could determine that a particular mosfet is short between G-S.

The good news is that in my application the voltage across the fet's themselves is about the same voltage that is applied to the Gate - roughly 12 volts at max, so a shorted mosfet to it;'s gate would not cause the drive circuitry to go bad, it could sense the short between G-S.

What are your ideas?

Engineering news on Phys.org
artis said:
What are your ideas?
Place a fuse in each drain. Place an LED and series resistor across the fuse. When a MOSFET dies, it will isolate that component, and you will see the light.

Likes osilmag

1. What is a Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit?

A Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit is a type of circuit used to monitor and protect parallel MOSFETs (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistors) in electronic devices. It detects faults and abnormalities in the MOSFETs and takes appropriate action to prevent damage to the circuit.

2. How does a Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit work?

The circuit typically consists of sensors, comparators, and a control unit. The sensors detect changes in the MOSFETs' parameters such as voltage, current, and temperature. The comparators compare these parameters to predetermined thresholds and send signals to the control unit. The control unit then takes action, such as shutting off the faulty MOSFET, to protect the circuit.

3. What are the benefits of using a Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit?

Using this circuit can prevent catastrophic failures in electronic devices, saving time and money on repairs. It also increases the reliability and lifespan of the MOSFETs, as well as the overall performance of the device.

4. Can a Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit be used in any electronic device?

Yes, this type of circuit can be used in a wide range of electronic devices, from small consumer electronics to large industrial equipment. It is especially useful in devices that use multiple parallel MOSFETs, such as power supplies, motor drives, and inverters.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Parallel MOSFET safety diagnostics circuit?

While this circuit is highly effective in detecting and preventing MOSFET failures, it is not foolproof. It is important to regularly test and maintain the circuit to ensure its proper functioning. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of MOSFETs, so it is important to consult with a professional before implementing it in a specific device.