Charcoal/carbon activated filters

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, charcoal/carbon activated filters are filters made from activated carbon that work through a process called adsorption to effectively remove impurities from air and water. They have several benefits, but also have limitations and must be replaced regularly for optimal effectiveness.
dRic2
Gold Member
Hi PF, can someone suggest me any books/sources to learn how carbon activated filters work. I'm curious about the absorption process: is it physical or chemical? where can I find some experimental data?

Thanks
Ric

Engineering news on Phys.org
dRic2 said:
I'm curious about the absorption process: is it physical or chemical? where can I find some experimental data?

The term for the process you wish to understand is adsorption. see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adsorption

Sorry, I know the difference, I just made a mistake in translating.

1. What are charcoal/carbon activated filters?

Charcoal/carbon activated filters are filters made from activated carbon, a form of carbon that has been treated to have a large surface area and pores. This allows it to effectively trap and remove impurities and contaminants from air and water.

2. How do charcoal/carbon activated filters work?

Charcoal/carbon activated filters work through a process called adsorption. When air or water passes through the filter, the activated carbon attracts and traps impurities, such as chemicals, gases, and odors, onto its surface. This leaves the air or water cleaner and purer.

3. What are the benefits of using charcoal/carbon activated filters?

There are several benefits to using charcoal/carbon activated filters. They are effective in removing a wide range of impurities, including volatile organic compounds (VOCs), chlorine, and heavy metals. They also help improve the taste and smell of water, and can help reduce allergies and respiratory issues caused by pollutants in the air.

4. How long do charcoal/carbon activated filters last?

The lifespan of charcoal/carbon activated filters depends on several factors, including the quality of the filter and the amount of impurities it is exposed to. Generally, they can last anywhere from 2-6 months for air filters and 6-12 months for water filters. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for replacing the filter.

5. Are there any limitations to using charcoal/carbon activated filters?

While charcoal/carbon activated filters are effective in removing many impurities, they are not able to remove all types of contaminants. For example, they may not be effective in removing bacteria or viruses from water. Additionally, they can become saturated and lose their effectiveness over time, so it is important to replace them regularly.