Charge acquired by the sphere

In summary: V3?V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r} + \dfrac{k(q_1+q_2+q_3)}{d}We don't consider the potential due to all three smaller spheres because the charge on the third sphere (q3) is dependent on the charge on the first and second spheres (q1 and q2) only. It does not depend on its own charge or the potential due to its own charge. Therefore, we only consider the potential due to the first and second spheres at the center of the third sphere.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Three identical metal spheres are uncharged at the vertices of an equilateral triangle. One at a time, a small sphere is connected by a conducting wire with a large metal sphere that is charged. The center of the large sphere is in the straight line perpendicular to the equilateral triangle at its center, see the picture. As a result, the first small sphere acquires charge q1 and second charge q2 (q2 < q1). What is the charge that the third sphere (q3) will acquire?

The Attempt at a Solution

When the first sphere is connected to larger sphere,
charge on bigger sphere = Q-q1
Since the wire is conducting, the potential at the surfaces of bigger and smaller spheres will be the same.
[itex]\dfrac{k(Q-q_1)}{R} = \dfrac{k q_1}{r} \\
Q = q_1 \left( 1+ \frac{1}{\mu} \right) [/itex]
where μ=r/R

Similarly I get the relation q1=q2(1+μ)
Following a similar approach, I get
[itex] q_3 = q_1 - q_2 + \frac{q_2^2}{q_1} [/itex]

But this is not the correct answer.

Attachments

• image025.gif
    image025.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
I read this moving story as follows:
Step 1: first sphere 1 is connected. (You work that out fine as far as I can see).
Step 2: Sphere 1 is disconnected and the wire is connected to sphere 2.
Step 3: Sphere 2 is disconnected and the wire is connected to sphere 3.

In that context I can't agree with "Similarly I get the relation q1=q2(1+μ)".

Furthermore, (Q-q1)=q2(1+μ) won't be correct either, because the potentials due to q1 at the big sphere and at q2 will be contributing differently. That's how l and d come in. I don't see a shortcut through a pile of hard work, so if you (or someone else) have a better idea...

I think in this problem you have to assume that charge and potential of the bigger sphere do not change i.e they remain Q and V .

1. What is the potential of the bigger sphere ? Name it V
2. After the first sphere is connected to the bigger sphere what is the potential of the first sphere ? Name it V1

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
I think in this problem you have to assume that charge and potential of the bigger sphere do not change i.e they remain Q and V .

2. After the first sphere is connected to the bigger sphere what is the potential of the first sphere ? Name it V1

If I assume this, all the small spheres would acquire same amount of charges equal to μQ. But this is not the case here as the question explicitly states that q2<q1.

utkarshakash said:
If I assume this, all the small spheres would acquire same amount of charges equal to μQ.

No...

utkarshakash said:
Since the wire is conducting, the potential at the surfaces of bigger and smaller spheres will be the same.
[itex]\dfrac{k(Q-q_1)}{R} = \dfrac{k q_1}{r} [/itex]

The potential of the first sphere(small) after connecting with bigger sphere is not kq1/r .

Think carefully .The bigger sphere contributes to the potential of the smaller sphere .

Please reply to post#3.

Last edited:
the potentials due to q1 at the big sphere and at q2 will be contributing differently. That's how l and d come in.

And that's how q2 will be smaller than q1

Tanya Sharma said:
No...

The potential of the first sphere(small) after connecting with bigger sphere is not kq1/r .

Think carefully .The bigger sphere contributes to the potential of the smaller sphere .

So,

[itex]V=\dfrac{kQ}{R} \\

V_1 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{r}\\
V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r}\\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r}\\[/itex]

utkarshakash said:
[itex]

V_1 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{r}\\
V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r}\\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l-r} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r}\\[/itex]

This is incorrect .

Forget about second and third sphere for a moment.

Calculate potential at the center of smaller sphere ,not at the surface . Now what is V1 ?

Tanya Sharma said:
This is incorrect .

Forget about second and third sphere for a moment.

Calculate potential at the center of smaller sphere ,not at the surface . Now what is V1 ?

[itex]V_1 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_1}{r} [/itex]

Is this correct?

Good...

Now think carefully and write expression for V2 .

Tanya Sharma said:
Good...

Now think carefully and write expression for V2 .

kQ/l + kq2/r

utkarshakash said:
kQ/l + kq2/r

No...

Don't you think charge at the first sphere contributes to the potential of the second sphere ?

Tanya Sharma said:
No...

Don't you think charge at the first sphere contributes to the potential of the second sphere ?

OK.

[itex]V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{d} \\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r} + \dfrac{k(q_1+q_2)}{d} [/itex]

Is this still wrong?
[EDIT]
I got the correct answer. Thanks for helping.

utkarshakash said:
OK.

[itex]V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{d} \\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r} + \dfrac{k(q_1+q_2)}{d} [/itex]

Is this still wrong?
[EDIT]
I got the correct answer. Thanks for helping.

utkarshakash, can you please post the solution?

Pranav-Arora said:
utkarshakash, can you please post the solution?

[itex]V=\dfrac{kQ}{R} \\
V_1 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_1}{r} \\
V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{d} \\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r} + \dfrac{k(q_1+q_2)}{d} \\
[/itex]

V1=V2=V3=V

Equating V1 and V2, you can get the ratio r/d. Then, equate V1 and V3 and substitute the value of r/d derived earlier to get the final answer.

The correct answer is [itex]q3 = \dfrac{q_2^2}{q_1} [/itex]

Hope this helps.

utkarshakash said:
[itex]V=\dfrac{kQ}{R} \\
V_1 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_1}{r} \\
V_2 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_2}{r} + \dfrac{kq_1}{d} \\
V_3 = \dfrac{kQ}{l} + \dfrac{kq_3}{r} + \dfrac{k(q_1+q_2)}{d} \\
[/itex]

V1=V2=V3=V

Equating V1 and V2, you can get the ratio r/d. Then, equate V1 and V3 and substitute the value of r/d derived earlier to get the final answer.

The correct answer is [itex]q3 = \dfrac{q_2^2}{q_1} [/itex]

Hope this helps.

I am not sure if I get it but why don't you consider the potential due to three smaller spheres while writing down the expression for V?

Pranav-Arora said:
I am not sure if I get it but why don't you consider the potential due to three smaller spheres while writing down the expression for V?

Because initially the smaller spheres are uncharged and as suggested by Tanya, the potential of the bigger sphere remains unchanged. So, even if the spheres later acquire charges, they do not affect the initial potential of the bigger sphere which equals kQ/R.

utkarshakash said:
Because initially the smaller spheres are uncharged and as suggested by Tanya, the potential of the bigger sphere remains unchanged. So, even if the spheres later acquire charges, they do not affect the initial potential of the bigger sphere which equals kQ/R.

I still don't see it. The problem statement mentions nothing about the potential of bigger sphere remaining unchanged. :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I still don't see it. The problem statement mentions nothing about the potential of bigger sphere remaining unchanged. :confused:

I know the problem statement does not mention this. But approximating it to be constant throughout the process does give the correct answer.

1. How does a sphere acquire charge?

A sphere can acquire charge through the process of induction, where the sphere is brought near a charged object and the electrons within the sphere are rearranged to create a net charge on the surface of the sphere.

2. What factors affect the amount of charge acquired by a sphere?

The amount of charge acquired by a sphere depends on the strength of the electric field, the distance between the sphere and the charged object, and the material properties of the sphere such as its conductivity and size.

3. Can a sphere acquire both positive and negative charges?

Yes, a sphere can acquire both positive and negative charges. This can happen when the sphere is brought near a charged object with a different type of charge, causing the electrons within the sphere to either move towards or away from the surface, resulting in a net charge.

4. How is the charge distribution on a sphere affected by its shape?

The charge distribution on a sphere is affected by its shape in that the charge will be evenly distributed on the surface of a perfectly spherical sphere. However, if the sphere is not perfectly spherical, the charge distribution may be uneven and concentrated in certain areas.

5. Can the charge acquired by a sphere ever be greater than the charge of the object it is brought near?

No, the charge acquired by a sphere can never be greater than the charge of the object it is brought near. This is because the process of induction only allows for the redistribution of existing charges, not the creation of new ones.