Charge Amplifiers? Electric Field Mill

In summary, the conversation is about building an electric field mill and the need for a charge amplifier to increase the current output. The individual has little experience with this subject and is seeking help on how to construct and use a charge amplifier. They have come across a paper, a section from a book, and websites with information on charge amplifiers and building electric field mills. They are also interested in finding a simple way to increase the current of their mill by a constant in order to accurately measure the magnitude of electric fields.
I am currently working on building an electric field mill. I am in the very early stages of building this and I have little experience on the subject, unfortunately. I understand the basics and came up with a formula to calculate the current with respect to time (this is AC current). Unfortunately, the magnitude of my current output will be at most on the order of a nanoamp. This is too small as the ammeter I have is much less sensitive. As I have read in a few papers, a charge amplifier is necessary. I don't know anything about them and have dozens of questions that I can't find answers to. Perhaps even a few key words would help me in the construction of this, but right now I am stuck. What I really want is a simple way to increase the current of my mill by a constant so that I can still use my setup to find the magnitude of electric fields with it. That's the dream at least. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a paper that describe the salient features of a charge amplifier in great detail.
http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/pdf/10.1175/JTECH2039.1

Here is a section from MacGorman, D. R., and W. D. Rust, 1998: The Electrical Nature of Thunderstorms. Oxford University Press,
http://books.google.com/books?id=_N...onepage&q=field mill charge amplifier&f=false

Here is a website from a Field Mill DIY project. It includes the schematic with all the parts labeled with part numbers. Notice that the first amplifier he uses is the AD 795.
http://www.precisionstrobe.com/jc/fieldmill/fieldmill.html

(edit: add two more websites of interest)

Here is a link to a textbook. The chapters shown cover Electrostatic Fields,
Field Mills, Calibration Fields, ELF and ULF Electric Fields, Natural Horizontal Electric Field at the Earth’s Surface, Free-Body Electric Field Meters, Radio-Frequency and Microwave Techniques, Dipole Antennas, Aperture Antennas,
Three-Loop Antenna System, Broadband Dipole Antennas
http://dsp-book.narod.ru/MISH/CH47.PDF

Here is a website about Electric Field Mills with lots of external links for constructing them: http://a-tech.net/ElectricFieldMill/

Last edited:

1. What is a charge amplifier?

A charge amplifier is an electronic device used to measure and amplify very small electrical charges. It is typically used in applications where precise measurements of charge are required, such as in scientific experiments.

2. How does a charge amplifier work?

A charge amplifier works by converting the charge on a capacitor into a voltage signal. This voltage signal is then amplified and can be measured by other electronic devices. The amplifier typically uses feedback to maintain a constant charge on the capacitor, resulting in a linear relationship between the charge and the output voltage.

3. What is an electric field mill?

An electric field mill is a type of charge amplifier that is specifically designed to measure electric fields. It typically consists of a rotating metal disk, with one half of the disk exposed to the electric field and the other half connected to the charge amplifier. As the disk rotates, the electric field causes a charge to accumulate on the disk, which is then measured and amplified by the charge amplifier.

4. What are the applications of charge amplifiers and electric field mills?

Charge amplifiers and electric field mills have a wide range of applications, including measuring the electric fields of lightning strikes, monitoring atmospheric conditions, and detecting the presence of charged particles in scientific experiments. They are also used in some types of sensors, such as accelerometers, to convert tiny electrical signals into measurable voltages.

5. How do I choose the right charge amplifier or electric field mill for my application?

The right charge amplifier or electric field mill for your application will depend on factors such as the type of charge you are measuring, the sensitivity and accuracy required, and the environmental conditions it will be used in. It is important to carefully research and compare different models to find the one that best fits your specific needs.