Charge and normal ordering in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses how to express the charge Q in terms of creation and annihilation operators, using the given equations. The main focus is on the normal ordering procedure and how to eliminate the spatial integral. By distinguishing the p's in the integrals and using delta functions, the problem can be solved and the final expression for Q can be obtained.
Milsomonk

Homework Statement

Express the charge Q in terms of the creation and annihilation operators.

Homework Equations

$$\phi_{(x)}=\int \dfrac {d^3 p} {(2\pi)^3} \dfrac {1} {2 \omega_p} (a_p e^{i x \cdot p} + b^{\dagger}_{p} e^{-i x \cdot p})$$
$$\pi_{(x)}=\dfrac {-i} {2}\int \dfrac {d^3 p} {(2\pi)^3} (b_p e^{i x \cdot p} - a^{\dagger}_{p} e^{-i x \cdot p})$$
$$Q=-i\int d^3 x(\pi\phi - \phi^* \pi^*)$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Hey guys, little bit stuck with the normal ordering procedure. So I've basically plugged in my expressions for pi and phi into the expression for Q and arrived at the following:
$$Q=-i \int d^3x \int \dfrac {d^3 p} {(2\pi)^3} \dfrac {-i} {2\omega_p} (b_p b^{\dagger}_p - a^{\dagger}_p a_p)$$
So I know that I shouldn't have the spatial integral, but I'm not sure how to get rid of it and I know I need to normal order the operators but I'm stuck there to :/ any guidance would be massively appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The ##p## in the integral for ##\pi## should be distinguished from the ##p## in the integral for ##\phi##. Use different symbols for these ##p##'s. Thus, the product ##\pi \phi## will be a double integral over the two different ##p##'s. The integration over ##x## is used to eliminate the exponentials and to introduce delta functions involving the two different ##p##'s. The delta functions allow you to integrate over one of the ##p##'s so that you end up with a single integral over the remaining ##p##.

Oh ok, thanks very much :) Looks like I have it now.

1. What is charge in quantum field theory (QFT)?

In QFT, charge is a fundamental property of particles that describes their interaction with the electromagnetic force. It is a conserved quantity, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between particles.

2. What is normal ordering in QFT?

Normal ordering is a mathematical technique used in QFT to rearrange the creation and annihilation operators of quantum fields in a specific way. This allows for easier calculation of the vacuum expectation values of operators, which are important in determining physical quantities in QFT.

3. How is charge quantized in QFT?

In QFT, charge is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete values. This is due to the fact that particles with a non-zero charge must have a corresponding field, and the field can only have integer values of charge. This is known as the Gauss's law constraint.

4. What is the importance of charge and normal ordering in QFT?

Charge and normal ordering are important concepts in QFT as they help us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions in a quantum framework. They allow us to calculate physical quantities and make predictions about the behavior of particles in different situations.

5. How do charge and normal ordering relate to each other in QFT?

In QFT, charge and normal ordering are closely related as they both involve the manipulation of operators in quantum fields. Normal ordering is used to simplify calculations involving charge, and charge plays a crucial role in determining the normal ordering of operators in a quantum field theory.