Charge distributions of two infinite parallel plates

In summary: The professor wants us to be able to calculate the surface charge densities from the charges of the plates, but it's not explicitly stated in the question. In general, the surface charge densities will be equal to the sum of the charges on the individual surfaces.
MaximumTurtles

Homework Statement

Two infinitely large conducting plates with excess charge 2Q and 3Q are placed parallel to one another, and at a small distance from one another. How are the charges 2Q and 3Q distributed? You may assume that infinitely large sheets of charge produce electric fields that are distance-independent. Make sure not to just guess or list the charge distribution, but to prove it! Based on your result, can you state the formula for the magnitude of the field between these two parallel very large conducting plates, as well as the formula for the field between any two parallel very large conducting plates?

Homework Equations

This is in a practice test for a chapter on Gauss's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried setting up two Gaussian surfaces, the first is a cylinder with one end inside each plate, the other with each end on the outside of each plate. I can relate the surface charge densities to the electric fields outside, and I can get the relationship between the inner surfaces, but I can't figure out how to get a relationship between the charges 2Q and 3Q (written as Q and Q' in my diagram) and the surface charge densities.

Here is my attempt:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16OxjQOXjbZ0hBXws6ZkEGEu0gQ0aWe9t

This is my first time posting, so I apologize for being a noob, let me know if there's anything I can do to help out.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MaxT, :welcome:

A good starting post, but my neck hurts from craning sideways. You place Q and Q' in ambuiguous locations: it is known that positive charge repels positive charge, so for a single plate the charges would not stay in the bulk volume, but move (conductor!) to a suitable surface.
The exercise is a bit complicated by the repeated use of the term 'infinitely', but never mind (replace by 'very'). And: you do the right thing by switching to surface charge density.
I agree with σ1 =-σ2 [edit - now that I can see the subscripts] ##\ \sigma_2 = -\sigma_3\ ## but that's about all I can decipher.

Any other useful Gauss surfaces ? How should the total charge distribution behave when seen from 'infinitely' :smile: far away ? All field lines have which direction ?

Last edited:
BvU said:
A good starting post, but my neck hurts from craning sideways.

Haha, woops, I fixed that! Sorry about the wording of the question, the professor's English isn't too good, but I copied down what he wrote exactly. Practically speaking, he just want the plates to be large enough that we can consider the electric field they create to be distance-independent (E = sigma/(2*epsilon naught)).

I can see that the areas outside the plates will have a field strength equal to the sum of the fields created by all 4 surfaces, the inside of the plates will have a zero field, and the area in between will be the difference between the fields created by the top plate and the bottom plate. I still can't see how to get the surface charge densities in terms of the charges of the plates though.

Last edited:
Fixed my sigma subscript numbers. What do you know about ##\ \sigma_1+\sigma_2\ ## in relation to ##\ \sigma_3+\sigma_4\ ## ?

MaximumTurtles said:
the inside of the plates will have a zero field
what equations does that give you in terms of the four surface charge densities?

1. What is the definition of "charge distribution of two infinite parallel plates"?

The charge distribution of two infinite parallel plates refers to the arrangement of electric charges on two infinite parallel plates that are separated by a distance and have opposite charges. This distribution creates an electric field between the plates.

2. How are the charges distributed on the two infinite parallel plates?

The charges on the two plates are distributed evenly, with one plate having a positive charge and the other having an equal negative charge. This creates an electric field that is perpendicular to the plates.

3. What is the relationship between the distance between the two plates and the electric field strength?

The electric field strength between two infinite parallel plates is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

4. How does the presence of dielectric material between the two plates affect the charge distribution?

The presence of a dielectric material between the two plates can affect the charge distribution by reducing the electric field strength between the plates. This is due to the polarization of the dielectric material, which creates an opposing electric field.

5. Can the charge distribution of two infinite parallel plates be used to model practical systems?

Yes, the charge distribution of two infinite parallel plates can be used to model practical systems such as parallel plate capacitors. In these systems, the charges on the plates are not infinite, but the electric field between them behaves similarly to the idealized case of two infinite plates.