Charge Distrubution evenly on Arc (Radius R)

In summary, the conversation discusses the mathematical expression for the electric field at the center of an arc of radius R with a evenly distributed charge Q. The expression is determined to be 2kQ/piR^2 and the integration limits are corrected to -θ0 to θ0. The group also discusses the expectation for a sketch of the electric field as a function of theta, with a suggestion to finish working out the solution before attempting the plot.
plat911

Homework Statement

A charge Q is distributed evenly on a wire bent into an arc of radius R, as shown in
the figure below.What is the mathematical expression that describes the electric field
at the center of the arc (point P indicated) as a function of the angle θ? Sketch
a graph of the electric field as a function of θ for 0 < θ < 180.

I added the figure for the question as an attachment.

The Attempt at a Solution

lambda=Q/pi R

dE= kdQ/R^2
dE= (kdQ/R^2) cos θ

dQ=lambda dl
dl= Rd theta
dQ=lambda R dθ

dE=(k[lambda R d θ]/R^2)cos θ

E=(k lambda R cos θ/R^2)d θ(from pi/2 to -pi/2)
E=k lambda/R cos θ dθ
E=k lambda/Rsin θ
E=k lambda/R[sin(pi/2)-sin(-pi/2)]
E=k lambda/2R
E=k(Q/piR)/2R=2kQ/piR^2
E= 2kq/piR^2

Is this right? I used K for 1/4pi(E) to make it easier to type.
Also i am kind of lost on what is expected for the sketch.

Attachments

• physics.jpg
    physics.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 788
Physics news on Phys.org
looks good ... might make more sense if the E-field component was upward (to balance gravity, if you put a charged item in the center, say)

Why are you integrating from -π/2 to π/2 ?

Integrate from -θ0 to θ0 or similar.

i didn't notice that. i was integrating from the wrong limits. Thank you for pointing that out. I am still confused on the sketch of the electric field as a function of theta if anyone could point me in the right direction with this it would be much appreciated.

Finish working out the solution before you can do the plot.

Related to Charge Distrubution evenly on Arc (Radius R)

What is charge distribution evenly on an arc?

Charge distribution evenly on an arc refers to the arrangement of electric charge on a curved surface, such as a circle or a semicircle, where the charge is spread out evenly along the surface.

Why is charge distribution evenly on an arc important?

Charge distribution evenly on an arc is important because it allows for a more efficient use of space for electric charges. It also helps to reduce the likelihood of electrical discharge or sparking, which can be dangerous in certain situations.

What factors affect charge distribution on an arc?

The factors that affect charge distribution on an arc include the radius of the arc, the amount of charge present, and the dielectric constant of the material surrounding the arc. The shape and orientation of the arc can also have an impact.

How is charge distributed evenly on an arc?

Charge distribution on an arc can be achieved by using conductive materials or by applying an electric field to the surface of the arc. The charge will spread out evenly along the surface due to the repulsive forces between like charges.

What are the applications of charge distribution evenly on an arc?

Charge distribution evenly on an arc has various applications in the field of electronics, such as in the design of capacitors and in the formation of plasma in plasma displays. It is also important in electrical power systems for preventing electrical breakdown and reducing the effects of corona discharge.