Charged Metallic Sphere Touching Spherical Shell From Inside

In summary, the conversation discusses two scenarios involving metallic spheres A and B with different charges and distances. In the first scenario, the objects are joined by a wire and then separated, and the charge is shared between them in a predictable manner. In the second scenario, the charge is shared between the objects when they touch, and the charge is found to be on the surface of the outer sphere. This is due to the fact that inner surfaces must have a constant potential and cannot have an electric field inside, leading to the charge being redistributed on the outer surface of the outer sphere.
chayanne

Homework Statement

(From Physics for Scientists and Engineers, 7E, Serway-Jewett Chapter 25 Q11)

(i) A metallic sphere A of radius 1 cm is several centimeters away from a metallic spherical shell B of radius 2 cm. Charge 450 nC is placed on A, with no charge on B or anywhere nearby. Next, the two objects are joined by a long, thin, metallic wire (as shown in Fig. 25.20), and finally the wire is removed. How is the charge shared between A and B?

(a) 0 on A, 450 nC on B
(b) 50 nC on A and 400 nC on B, with equal volume charge densities
(c) 90 nC on A and 360 nC on B, with equal surface charge densities
(d) 150 nC on A and 300 nC on B
(e) 225 nC on A and 225 nC on B
(f) 450 nC on A and 0 on B
(g) in some other predictable way
(h) in some unpredictable way

(ii) A metallic sphere A of radius 1 cm with charge 450 nC hangs on an insulating thread inside an uncharged thin metallic spherical shell B of radius 2 cm. Next, A is made temporarily to touch the inner surface of B. How is the charge then shared between them? Choose from the same possibilities. Arnold Arons, the only physics teacher yet to have his picture on the cover of Time magazine, suggested the idea for this question.

Homework Equations

- V=kq/r (used in part (i))

Possibly relevant :
- V=k ∫dq/r,
- V=-∫E°dl,

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (i) I was able to reach an answer using V1 = V2, assuming conservation of charge:

kq1/r1 = kq2/r2;
where q1+q2=450 nC

However for part (ii) I am pretty lost. Ideas I have tried were a similar solution to part (i), a cavity within a conductor (suggesting E inside the spherical shell should be 0), or the fact that net electric charge of a conductor is on its surface.

My attempts were unfruitful. A similar solution to (i) doesn't make all that sense to me, as I feel like they become the same thing when they touch one another (sounds romantic). Cavity within a conductor (which I literally just pulled off the textbook as I was looking for an idea to help me solve it) kind of seemed to be helpful, however, I might be misinterpreting it to make my case here. The net electric charge on surface idea also seems to lose ground when I think about the inside sphere's surface being part of the "sphere inside shell" object's surface, therefore having charge on it.

Thank you very much for your help and time.

Physics news on Phys.org
or the fact that net electric charge of a conductor is on its surface.
That is sufficient. When they touch, you can consider them as a single conductor. Where is the whole charge? It is important that the outer sphere has no hole here.

Thank you very much for the response. The whole charge is on the surface, but doesn't that include the inner surface and thus the surface of the inner sphere? Why does it lose the surface charge when it goes back to its original position? Thanks again.

An inner surface with charge would lead to a field inside. That cannot happen - inner surfaces are always regions of constant potential, and there is nowhere the electric field lines could end (no additional charges separated from your object).

The solution to part (i) is (f) 450 nC on A and 0 on B. This is because when the two objects are joined by a wire, they become a single conducting object with a total charge of 450 nC. Since they are both conductors, the charge will distribute itself evenly on the surface of the combined object, resulting in 450 nC on A and 0 on B.

For part (ii), after the two objects are touched, they become a single conductor with a total charge of 450 nC. However, since the inner surface of the spherical shell is now in contact with the inner sphere, the charge will distribute itself evenly on the combined surface of the inner sphere and the inner surface of the shell. This means that the charge will be shared between the two surfaces, resulting in a different distribution than in part (i). The solution is (c) 90 nC on A and 360 nC on B, with equal surface charge densities. This can be calculated using the equation for electric potential, V=k ∫dq/r, and integrating over the surface of the combined object.

I hope this helps clarify the solution for you. It's important to remember that when conductors are in contact, they will redistribute their charge to achieve a state of equilibrium, with the charge evenly distributed on their surfaces.

1. What is the purpose of a charged metallic sphere touching a spherical shell from the inside?

The purpose of this experiment is to study the behavior and properties of electric charges when they are in close proximity to each other. By placing a charged metallic sphere inside a spherical shell, we can observe how the two objects interact and how the charge is distributed on the surface of the shell.

2. How does the charge on the metallic sphere affect the electric field inside the spherical shell?

The charge on the metallic sphere will create an electric field inside the spherical shell. This electric field will be strongest near the sphere and will weaken as you move further away from it. The strength and direction of the electric field will also depend on the charge of the sphere.

3. What happens to the electric field inside the spherical shell if the metallic sphere is moved to a different location?

If the metallic sphere is moved to a different location inside the spherical shell, the electric field will also change. The strength and direction of the electric field will depend on the new location of the sphere and the distribution of charge on the surface of the shell.

4. How does the charge distribution on the surface of the spherical shell change when the metallic sphere is brought closer to it?

As the metallic sphere is brought closer to the spherical shell, the charge on the surface of the shell will redistribute. This is due to the repulsion between the charges on the sphere and the charges on the shell. The redistribution of charge will result in a different electric field inside the shell.

5. Can the experiment be conducted with different shapes and sizes of the metallic sphere and spherical shell?

Yes, this experiment can be conducted with different shapes and sizes of the metallic sphere and spherical shell. However, the results may vary depending on the specific dimensions and configurations of the objects used. It is important to keep the variables consistent in order to make accurate observations and draw conclusions.