Charged Particles Probem

In summary, when the third sphere is brought in it shares charge with the ones it touches, so the electrostatic force between the spheres is reduced.
JustHere155

Homework Statement

Identical isolated conducting spheres 1 and 2 have equal charges q and are
separated by a distance r large compared to the diameters of the spheres. The electrostatic
force acting on sphere 2 due to sphere 1 is 3.10-6N. Suppose now, that the third identical sphere 3, having an isolating handle, and initially electrically neutral, is touched first to the sphere 1, then to the sphere 2, and finally removed. Find the electrostatic force which will be acting on the sphere 2 after all these manipulations.

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law: Fe= Ke ((q1)(q2)/r^2)
Gausses Law:E*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Wel, we know that q1=q2. That means that both particles are going to move away from each other. I have that q2 has Fe= 3*10^6. The part I don't understand what does Sphere 3 do to my Sphere 2? I know that distance between q1 and q2 is r= ((Keq1q2)/F2)^1/2. I am simply stuck on the part of Sphere 3. Anyone want to shed some light?

Physics news on Phys.org
JustHere155 said:

Homework Statement

Identical isolated conducting spheres 1 and 2 have equal charges q and are
separated by a distance r large compared to the diameters of the spheres. The electrostatic
force acting on sphere 2 due to sphere 1 is 3.10-6N. Suppose now, that the third identical sphere 3, having an isolating handle, and initially electrically neutral, is touched first to the sphere 1, then to the sphere 2, and finally removed. Find the electrostatic force which will be acting on the sphere 2 after all these manipulations.

Homework Equations

Coulombs Law: Fe= Ke ((q1)(q2)/r^2)
Gausses Law:E*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Wel, we know that q1=q2. That means that both particles are going to move away from each other. I have that q2 has Fe= 3*10^6. The part I don't understand what does Sphere 3 do to my Sphere 2? I know that distance between q1 and q2 is r= ((Keq1q2)/F2)^1/2. I am simply stuck on the part of Sphere 3. Anyone want to shed some light?

When the third sphere is brought in it shares charge with the one it touches, so the first charge will be reduced by a lot, as the third sphere was initially uncharged, while the second charge is not reduced by so much since the third sphere already has picked up some charge from the first sphere.

Thank you so much for explaining this!

Related to Charged Particles Probem

1. What are charged particles?

Charged particles are atoms or molecules that have an imbalance of positive or negative electric charge. This can be caused by gaining or losing electrons.

2. What is the "Charged Particles Problem"?

The "Charged Particles Problem" refers to the challenge of understanding and predicting the behavior of charged particles in various environments, such as in a vacuum or in the presence of electric or magnetic fields.

3. What are some examples of charged particles?

Examples of charged particles include electrons, protons, ions, and positrons. These can be found in atoms, molecules, and particles in the atmosphere and in space.

4. How are charged particles important in scientific research?

Charged particles play a crucial role in many scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used in particle accelerators, medical imaging techniques, and energy production, and their behavior can help us better understand the fundamental laws of nature.

5. What are some potential applications of understanding the "Charged Particles Problem"?

Understanding the "Charged Particles Problem" can lead to advancements in technology, such as more efficient energy production and more accurate medical imaging. It can also help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.