+ charged sphere and - charged sphere touch and separate

In summary, two metal spheres, X and Y, are charged by gaining or losing electrons. After being put in contact and then separated, both spheres have the same charge of -250e. This is due to the transfer of electrons from Y to X during the contact.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

A small metal sphere X is charged by losing 500 electrons. An identical metal sphere Y is charged by gaining 1000 electrons. The two spheres are first put in contact with each other and then separated. If -e is the charge on an electron, what is the charge on each sphere after separation?

Sphere X Sphere Y
A +500 +500
B +250 +250
C -250 +250
D -250 -250
E -500 -500​

Homework Equations

n/a ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answer is D.
Since the metal spheres touch each other electrons will be transferred from sphere Y to sphere X so that both have the same charge.
Is this correct? I

Physics news on Phys.org
If the unit of charge is e then I agree.
You mean to say that there are 250 electrons on each of the two spheres.
One electron is -e, so 250 electrons is -250e

If the exercise is literally as you present it, the formulation is a bit unfortunate, but that's not your problem :wink:

Likes Soniteflash
BvU said:
If the unit of charge is e then I agree.
You mean to say that there are 250 electrons on each of the two spheres.
One electron is -e, so 250 electrons is -250e

If the exercise is literally as you present it, the formulation is a bit unfortunate, but that's not your problem :wink:
Thanks. I need to get better at my formulation anyways...

1. What happens when a positively charged sphere and a negatively charged sphere touch?

When a positively charged sphere and a negatively charged sphere touch, the electric charges will redistribute themselves evenly on both spheres. This process is known as charging by conduction.

2. Can a charged sphere be separated from another charged sphere?

Yes, a charged sphere can be separated from another charged sphere. This can be achieved by using an insulating material, such as rubber, to physically separate the spheres. The charges on each sphere will then remain fixed in their respective locations.

3. What happens if a charged sphere touches an uncharged object?

If a charged sphere touches an uncharged object, the uncharged object will become polarized. This means that the charges within the object will temporarily redistribute themselves, causing one side of the object to become positively charged and the other side to become negatively charged.

4. Why do charged spheres attract or repel each other?

The force of attraction or repulsion between charged spheres is due to the presence of electric fields. Like charges (positive and positive, or negative and negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive and negative) will attract.

5. How can the force between two charged spheres be calculated?

The force between two charged spheres can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges on the spheres and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The equation is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges on the spheres, and r is the distance between them.