Charging 18650 Batteries: A Guide for Safe Setup and Usage

In summary, Mr. Berkman has ordered a step-down module and solar panel to power a battery pack of 18650 cells. He plans to buy a power bank with a capacity of10000 mah to store the energy produced by the battery pack. If he is wrong then please correct him.
Biycchu
Hello Friends,
Please help me to setup 5 [18650] Li-Ion battery of 11.1 volt
I describe everything in image.
Please check attach file
Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• 18650-battery-editted-2.jpg
    18650-battery-editted-2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 144
Engineering news on Phys.org
Not possible without having one battery destroyed when in use or charging. Find another use for the two extra batteries.

Likes Biycchu
Biycchu said:
Hello Friends,
Please help me to setup 5 [18650] Li-Ion battery of 11.1 volt
I describe everything in image.
Please check attach file
Thanks in Advance
You could put all 5 batteries in series and use an efficient buck topology DC-DC converter to get you back down to the 11V. But I'm guessing that you don't have experience designing and building DC-DC converters?

Likes Biycchu
I know i am a nonsense guy. Please check my 2nd attach file. Help me once again and I will not ask you again for any kind of help in this post.

Attachments

• 18650-battery-editted-3.jpg
    18650-battery-editted-3.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 140
berkeman said:
You could put all 5 batteries in series and use an efficient buck topology DC-DC converter to get you back down to the 11V. But I'm guessing that you don't have experience designing and building DC-DC converters?
Sir I don't want to spend money spend mony on multimeter & dc to dc convert. I already bought a soldering iron which not heating perfectly and seller refused to return it. Also I bought a 12 volt 9 watt bulb dc which is working correctly.

I have insert all of 5 18650 battery from my damage power bank.

Biycchu said:
I have insert all of 5 18650 battery from my damage power bank.
Um, how did it get damaged?

Biycchu said:
I know i am a nonsense guy. Please check my 2nd attach file. Help me once again and I will not ask you again for any kind of help in this post.
You can only parallel-connect batteries when they are well-matched. They would need to be the same age with the same charging history.

It seems like you are trying to do something pretty dangerous. What are you doing with these Li-Ion batteries? Are you familiar with the fire risk when working with batteries, especially Li-Ion batteries?

Do you have 5 batteries or 6? Sometimes you say or draw one and sometimes the other.

Oh, and I am sorry your soldering iron is no good, but we're really not responsible.

Vanadium 50 said:
Do you have 5 batteries or 6? Sometimes you say or draw one and sometimes the other.

Oh, and I am sorry your soldering iron is no good, but we're really not responsible.
I have 5 batteries sir. In the above reply Mr. berkman said to arrange 1 another battery that's why I wrote 2nd note.

berkeman said:
Um, how did it get damaged?
All of batteries are ok. Only circuit board was damaged then I was think to convert it into dc light. Also I have a 10 watt solar panel and I am using it to charge my 11.1 volt batteries.

You didn't answer this part of my reply. Please give us explicit answers to my questions or your thread will be closed. Thank you.
berkeman said:
It seems like you are trying to do something pretty dangerous. What are you doing with these Li-Ion batteries? Are you familiar with the fire risk when working with batteries, especially Li-Ion batteries?

Likes sophiecentaur
Biycchu said:
I must repeat the warning about connecting batteries in parallel unless they are properly matched. They can destroy each other and overheat. You could well be better off using just three at a time in series. If, as you suggest, you have no meter and you don't really want to get involved with additional circuitry then that may be the best solution, although it would mean half the available mAh.
Take care!

Likes Biycchu, Tom.G and berkeman
My english is very weak because I passed 10+12 exam from a bengali medium school. after 12th passed, I completed my graduation (in bachelor of arts) from english medium university and here is the end of my study. I don't gave importance on english. but now I will spend some days to learning on english========[I will update this thread with my working process, if you agree then]=======

I am decided to make litium ion battery pack via 18650 battery upto 18ah - 20ah
Today I order this from amazon (xcluma 5A 75W Xl4015 Cc Cv Dc-Dc Lithium Battery Charger Step-Down Module)
I have solar panel also my lg monitor is 19 volt

Remaining items to buy:-
1. multimiter
2. 3s bms
3. 60 watt soldering iron
4. 10000 mah branded litium ion power bank for 18650 battery (it's a best idea to buy 18650 battery in cheap price)

If I am wrong then please correct my

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation per safety concerns...

UPDATE -- After a Mentor discussion, this thread will remain closed. @Biycchu please find a local Mentor where you live that can help you with projects like this. Projects like this are not safe to do on your own with your current lack of experience.

Last edited:
Likes davenn

1. How do I charge 18650 batteries?

To charge 18650 batteries, you will need a compatible charger. Make sure to read the instructions of your specific charger before use. Generally, you will insert the batteries into the charger and plug it into a power source. The charger will indicate when the batteries are fully charged.

2. Can I use any charger to charge 18650 batteries?

No, it is important to use a charger that is specifically designed for 18650 batteries. Using an incompatible charger can cause damage to the batteries and pose a safety hazard.

3. How long does it take to charge 18650 batteries?

The charging time for 18650 batteries can vary depending on the charger and the current charge level of the batteries. On average, it can take 2-4 hours to fully charge a pair of 18650 batteries.

4. Is it safe to leave 18650 batteries charging overnight?

It is not recommended to leave 18650 batteries charging overnight. Overcharging can lead to overheating and potentially cause a fire. It is important to monitor the charging process and remove the batteries once they are fully charged.

5. Can I charge 18650 batteries with a USB cable?

Some devices may have a USB port for charging 18650 batteries, but it is not recommended. USB ports may not provide enough power for efficient charging and can also cause safety hazards. It is best to use a compatible charger for 18650 batteries.