What are the different pins on a Hitachi 5 Ah 18V Li-ion battery for?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the pins on a Hitachi 5 Ah 18V Li-ion battery and their functions. The pins present on the cordless grinder tool are +, -, and LD. The participants are trying to determine the function of each pin, with guesses as to C+ (charge enable), T (temp sense), V (voltage sense), LS (load sense), and LD. The conversation has been temporarily closed due to safety concerns, but there has been a productive exchange through private messaging.
Guineafowl
Hi all,

Does anyone know what each pin of this Hitachi 5 Ah 18V Li-ion battery does?:

image.jpg

From left to right:
C+ + T V LS - LD

It powers a cordless grinder that wouldn’t switch on. Only the +, -, and LD pins are present on the tool itself.

I’m guessing:
C+: Charge enable?
T: Temp sense?
V: voltage sense
LS: Load sense?
LD: ?

On the battery, LD is equipotential with -.

When I disconnect the LD line in the tool, it works fine, as does the tool’s battery level indicator and the safety feature that stops the tool starting if the switch is on and you click the battery in place.

What does it do? Can I safely leave it out?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guineafowl said:
I’m guessing:
C+: Charge enable?
T: Temp sense?
V: voltage sense
LS: Load sense?
LD: ?
This seems like an inherently dangerous discussion in the making. I'll close it temporarily to try to see if we can make it a safe discussion.

Does anybody have the datasheet for this battery or other Hitachi documents for this charging interface? We can probably discuss the datasheet or official documents. But trying to guess about the charging interface for a Li-Ion battery seems like a fire in the making...

Please start a conversation (PM) with me if you have links or other documents that could help to get this thread re-opened. Thanks.

UPDATE -- There has been a productive PM exchange with several contributors. The exchange is not appropriate for the open forums for several reasons. The thread will remain closed.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy and anorlunda

What is a pinout of a lithium battery?

The pinout of a lithium battery refers to the layout or arrangement of the electrical connections on the battery. It shows the positive and negative terminals, as well as any other pins or connectors that are present on the battery.

Why is the pinout of a lithium battery important?

The pinout of a lithium battery is important because it determines how the battery can be connected to a device or circuit. It also ensures that the battery is connected correctly, as reversing the polarity can damage both the battery and the device it is powering.

How do I determine the pinout of a lithium battery?

The pinout of a lithium battery can typically be found in the battery's datasheet or packaging. It can also be determined by visually inspecting the battery and noting the location of the positive and negative terminals and any other pins or connectors.

What are the different types of pinouts for lithium batteries?

The most common pinout for lithium batteries is the “through-hole” type, where the positive and negative terminals are located on opposite sides of the battery. Other types include the “surface mount” pinout, where the terminals are located on the same side of the battery, and the “JST” pinout, which uses a specific connector for the battery's connections.

Can the pinout of a lithium battery change?

Yes, the pinout of a lithium battery can vary depending on the manufacturer or model. It is important to always check the battery's pinout before connecting it to a device or circuit to avoid any potential damage.