Cheap and relatively efficient insulated container

• Thread starter Thundagere
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Container
In summary, the conversation discusses designing a cheap and efficient container that allows light in but not heat out. One idea is to create a double paned window using two glass jars of different sizes with adhesive to seal them together, while another suggestion is to use plastic transparent film. The overall goal is to create a design similar to a solar oven.
Thundagere
I've been given a challenge of designing a cheap and efficient container that allows light into heat something, but doesn't allow the heat out. The cheaper, the better.
I thought of several ways, but one that stuck with me was a double paned window. That allows light in but heat out! But how to make a cheap container that acts as a double paned window?
Well, air isn't exactly a great conductor, it's a decent insulator. So, my thought was this. Take two glass jars of about the same height but different widths. THe smaller width should have a SLIGHTLY smaller height than the other one. Put some adhesive on the bottom of the smaller one and stick it into the bigger one. Then, put the lid on the bigger one! That way, light comes in, heats whatever's in the smaller one, but the heat doesn't escape?
DOes that sound like a good design?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thundagere said:
DOes that sound like a good design?
Yes.

You might want to google "solar ovens" and see if you find any ideas you might want to incorporate into your design.

Plastic transparent film. I used it for my greenhouse.

Related to Cheap and relatively efficient insulated container

1. What materials are typically used to make a cheap and efficient insulated container?

The most common materials used for cheap and efficient insulated containers are expanded polystyrene foam (EPS), polyurethane foam, and reflective materials such as aluminum foil. These materials are lightweight, inexpensive, and provide good insulation properties.

2. How does an insulated container keep items at a stable temperature?

An insulated container works by trapping air between its layers of insulating materials. This air acts as a barrier against heat transfer, keeping the temperature inside the container relatively stable. The thicker the insulation, the better it will be at maintaining the desired temperature.

3. Can a cheap insulated container also be environmentally friendly?

Yes, there are many environmentally friendly options for insulated containers. Some are made from biodegradable materials such as corn starch or recycled paper, while others use eco-friendly insulation materials like sheep's wool or recycled cotton. These options are not only cost-effective but also help reduce waste and carbon footprint.

4. How do I choose the right size insulated container for my needs?

The size of the insulated container you need will depend on what you plan to store in it. Consider the volume of the items you want to keep inside and leave some extra room for insulation. It's also essential to consider the weight of the container when full, as it may affect transportation and storage options.

5. Are there any special care instructions for insulated containers?

Insulated containers are relatively low maintenance, but there are a few things to keep in mind to ensure their longevity. Avoid exposing them to extreme temperatures, as this can damage the insulation. Also, make sure to clean them regularly with mild detergent and warm water to prevent any bacteria or mold growth. Finally, when not in use, store them in a cool, dry place to avoid any damage.