Chebyshev Expansion (I understanding the provided solution)

• MHB
  • Thread starter nacho-man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary: T_n = (-x)^3 + 3x^2 + 6x$$In summary, the solutions to the problem are found by solving the equation for $T_n'$ and substituting it into the equation for $T_n$.
nacho-man
Hi,
Please refer to attached image.
I did an assignment earlier, and I got this question wrong.
The solutions have been put up, but I struggle to understand how to proceed
from $1*$ to $2*$ and also how the values for $T_4 = 8x^4-8x^2+1$ and $T_2 = 2x^2-1$ were derived.

I would REALLY appreciate if someone could explain this to me, a lot!

My attempt:

$$(\sqrt{1-x^2} T_n')' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$
$$ -\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}T_n' + \sqrt{1-x^2}T_n'' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$

But I am unsure where to proceed from here.
I can see that I have the $\frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$ term,
but where does the $-n^2$ come from, and how do we deal with $T_n''$ and $T_n'$ ?

Also for

$3*$ I have no clue where to begin. Although, I tried looking at the summation, I tried subbing $n=2$ for example,

$c_2(2-4)T_2 = x^4 + x$ but this doesn't seem helpful.. I have no clue what they do here.

Attachments

• help!!.JPG
    help!!.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution for 1* is as follows:We start by applying the product rule to the left side of the equation:$$(\sqrt{1-x^2} T_n')' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = (\sqrt{1-x^2})' T_n' + \sqrt{1-x^2} T_n'' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$Now, we can substitute the expression for $(\sqrt{1-x^2})'$ into the equation: $$-\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}T_n' + \sqrt{1-x^2}T_n'' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} = -\frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}T_n' + \sqrt{1-x^2}T_n'' + \frac{2T_n}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}$$Finally, we multiply both sides of the equation by $\sqrt{1-x^2}$, and arrive at the following equation:$$-xT_n' + (1-x^2)T_n'' + 2T_n = 0$$For 2* we can solve the equation obtained in 1* for $T_n''$:$$T_n'' = \frac{-xT_n' + 2T_n}{1-x^2}$$Now, we substitute this expression for $T_n''$ into the equation. We then obtain the following equation:$$-xT_n' + \frac{-xT_n' + 2T_n}{1-x^2} + 2T_n = 0$$We can simplify this equation and get an expression for $T_n'$:$$T_n' = \frac{2T_n}{1-x^2}$$For 3*, we can use the expression for $T_n'$ obtained in 2* to calculate the

Related to Chebyshev Expansion (I understanding the provided solution)

1. What is the Chebyshev Expansion?

The Chebyshev Expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a function using a series of orthogonal polynomials known as Chebyshev polynomials. It is commonly used in numerical analysis and approximation theory.

2. How does the Chebyshev Expansion work?

The Chebyshev Expansion works by representing a function as a sum of Chebyshev polynomials, which are calculated using a recurrence relation. The more terms that are included in the expansion, the closer the approximation will be to the original function.

3. What are the benefits of using the Chebyshev Expansion?

The Chebyshev Expansion has several benefits, including its ability to accurately approximate a wide range of functions, its efficiency in terms of computation time and memory usage, and its stability in numerical calculations.

4. What are the limitations of the Chebyshev Expansion?

While the Chebyshev Expansion is a powerful tool for approximating functions, it does have some limitations. It may not be the best method for functions with discontinuities or sharp changes, and the accuracy of the approximation can be affected by the choice of the interval on which the expansion is computed.

5. How is the Chebyshev Expansion used in practical applications?

The Chebyshev Expansion has a wide range of practical applications, including signal processing, image compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in physics and chemistry to approximate solutions to complex problems, and in finance to model and predict financial data.