Eigenfunction expansion with chebyshev

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using Chebyshev polynomials as eigenfunctions for a self-adjoint form. The first question is about finding a particular solution using a linear combination of these polynomials, and the second question discusses the properties of the solution for a different differential equation.
nacho-man
I am absolutely dying with this question.

Ok so referring to the attached image;
we can re-iterate the given equation in SL-Form.

so

$(1-x^2)u'' - xu' + 2u =0 $

divide everything by $\sqrt{1-x^2}$
so we get

$\sqrt{1-x^2}u'' - \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} u' + \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}u=0$

which may be re-written in self-adjoint form:
$(\sqrt{1-x^2}u')' + \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} u =0 $ on $-1\le x\le 1$

which is our beloved chebyshev!

SOOOOO let's begin..

I know that our eigen values $\lambda = n^2$
That $u_n(x) = T_n(x) = \cos(n \arccos x)$

How do I solve for this?

I tried :

$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n T_n(x) = f(x) = x^4 + x$but where do I go from here?

I'll have to solve for $a_n$ to get this particular solution;
but the integral is insane:

$a_n = \frac{1}{\pi}$ $\int_{-1}^{1} $ $\frac{x^4+x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx$ for $n=0$
and

$a_n = \frac{2}{\pi} \int_{-1}^{1} \frac{T_n(x)(x^4+x)}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\,dx$ for $ n = 1, 2, ...$
Blah^^^^ ?
Tried making a substution, letting $x =\cos\left({\theta}\right)$, dx = $- \sin\left({\theta}\right)$

but it gave me a non-convergent integral

can I get some guidance on where to go further? or if I am on the right track, because I am not sure at this stage.

Attachments

• dddddddddddddd.jpg
    dddddddddddddd.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
nacho said:
I am absolutely dying with this question.

Ok so referring to the attached image;
we can re-iterate the given equation in SL-Form.

so

$(1-x^2)u'' - xu' + 2u =0 $

divide everything by $\sqrt{1-x^2}$
so we get

$\sqrt{1-x^2}u'' - \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} u' + \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}u=0$

which may be re-written in self-adjoint form:
$(\sqrt{1-x^2}u')' + \frac{2}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} u =0 $ on $-1\le x\le 1$

which is our beloved chebyshev!

SOOOOO let's begin..

I know that our eigen values $\lambda = n^2$
That $u_n(x) = T_n(x) = \cos(n \arccos x)$

How do I solve for this?

I tried :

$\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n T_n(x) = f(x) = x^4 + x$but where do I go from here?
Assuming that you are correct so far, you can use the fact that $$T_0(x) = 1,$$ $$T_1(x) = x,$$ $$T_2(x) = 2x^2 - 1,$$ $$T_4(x) = 8x^4 - 8x^2 + 1,$$ to express $x^4+x$ as a linear combination of $T_0,$ $T_1,$ $T_2$ and $T_4$. You don't need an infinite sum, or fancy integrals to calculate the coefficients. Just use elementary algebra.

so $x^4 + x = \frac{1}{8} T_4(x) + \frac{1}{2}T_2(x) + \frac{3}{8}T_0(x) + T_1(x)$

Is this my solution to the question?

Last edited by a moderator:
nacho said:
so $x^4 + x $ = \frac{1}{8} T_4(x) + \frac{1}{2}T_2(x) + \frac{3}{8}T_0(x) + T_1(x)$

Is this my solution to the question?
It doesn't seem to be quite as simple as that. If you put $u = T_2(x)$ in the original equation then you find that $$(1-x^2)T_2''(x) - xT_2'(x) + 2T_2(x) = 2T_2(x).$$ Do the same thing for $u=T_4(x)$ and you get $$(1-x^2)T_4''(x) - xT_4'(x) + 2T_4(x) = -14T_4(x).$$ I'm not sure where those multiples are coming from, but they don't look like your claimed eigenvalues $\lambda = n^2.$ Maybe dividing by $\sqrt{1-x^2}$ introduced some extra complication. Anyway, it should still be true that if you take $u$ to be an appropriate linear combination of $T_0$, $T_1$, $T_2$ and $T_4$ then you can get the right-hand side of the equation to come to $x^4+x$.

As always with a differential equation, the only sure-fire way to know whether you have found the correct answer is to substitute it into the original equation and see if it works.

Hey opalg, just a little curious why you subbed in $T_4(x)$ and $T_2(x)$ like that for u? And what it would achieve after I've
Subbed in T_1 and T_0?

Two people outside this forums also
Mentioned this:
you should get cn=an/(2-n^2) where an is from the linear combination and cn is from u(x)=Sum(cn*Tn(x)).
then after a bit of algebra i got u(x) = -x^4/14-(3*x^2)/7+x+3/7 which satisfies the original equation.

And

The solution is something like a_0*T_0(x)+a_1*T_1(x) up until T_4(x). and you just need to find the a that satisfy that.

Additionally there was a second question attached which asked
What can you say about the solution of
$(1−x^2)u′′ −xu′ +4u=x^4,$
with $u$ again bounded on $[−1, 1]$?

Was this alluding to using a sturm liouville comparison theorem ? What could this be wanting to ask specifically ? I was thinking the frequency of oscillations in the solution butt wasn't sure

nacho said:
Hey opalg, just a little curious why you subbed in $T_4(x)$ and $T_2(x)$ like that for u? And what it would achieve after I've
Subbed in T_1 and T_0?
For a function $u(x)$, define $L(u) = (1−x^2)u′′ −xu′ +2u$. You want to find $u$ so that $L(u) = x^4 + x$. Given that the Chebyshev polynomials are eigenfunctions for $L$, with eigenvalues $2-n^2$, it follows that $L(T_n) = (2-n^2)T_n$. If you can find a linear combination $u = a_0T_0 + a_1T_1 + a_2T_2 + a_4T_4$ such that $L(u) = x^4 + x$, then you will have solved the problem. That is the motivation for finding $L(T_n)$ (for $n=0,1,2,4$).

nacho said:
Additionally there was a second question attached which asked
What can you say about the solution of
$(1−x^2)u′′ −xu′ +4u=x^4,$
with $u$ again bounded on $[−1, 1]$?

Was this alluding to using a sturm liouville comparison theorem ? What could this be wanting to ask specifically ? I was thinking the frequency of oscillations in the solution butt wasn't sure
The eigenfunctions for this question are again the Chebyshev polynomials, but the eigenvalues this time are $4-n^2$. The snag with that is that the eigenvalue for $T_2$ will be $0$. Thus $L(T_2) = 0$, so we cannot use $T_2$ to get anything nonzero on the right-hand side of the equation. I guess that this means there will be no bounded solution on $[-1,1].$ But I am not sure how to justify that guess.

I think I now see how to do part (b) of this question. It has to do with the fact that the operator $L$ is selfadjoint, where $L$ is defined by $L(u) = (1-x^2)u'' - xu' + 4u$. We want to show that $x^4$ is not in the range of $L$.

The operator $L$ acts on the Hilbert space given by the inner product \(\displaystyle \langle f, g\rangle = \int_{-1}^1f(x)\overline{g(x)}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\) and is selfadjoint in the sense that $\langle L(u),v\rangle = \langle u,L(v)\rangle$ for all functions $u,v$ in its domain.

We know that $L(T_n) = (4-n^2)T_n$ for each Chebyshev polynomial $T_n$. In particular, $L(T_0) = 4$, $L(T_2) = 0$ and $L(T_4) = -12T_4 = -96x^4 + 96x^2 - 12.$ Therefore $L(\frac1{48}T_4 - \frac3{16}T_0) = -2x^4 + 2x^2 - 1 = -2x^4 + T_2(x)$. Now suppose that there exists a function $u$ such that $L(u) = x^4$. Let $v = 2u +\frac1{48}T_4 - \frac3{16}T_0.$ Then $L(v) = T_2$.

The selfadjointness of $L$ then tells us that $\|T_2\|^2 = \|L(v)\|^2 = \langle L(v),L(v) \rangle = \langle v,L^2(v)\rangle$. But $L^2(v) = L(L(v)) = L(T_2) = 0$. It follows that $\|T_2\|=0$ and hence $T_2(x)=0$ (for all $x$ in $[-1,1]$), which is clearly false.

That contradiction shows that there is no function $u$ with $L(u) = x^4$.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Opalg said:
For a function $u(x)$, define $L(u) = (1−x^2)u′′ −xu′ +2u$. You want to find $u$ so that $L(u) = x^4 + x$. Given that the Chebyshev polynomials are eigenfunctions for $L$, with eigenvalues $2-n^2$, it follows that $L(T_n) = (2-n^2)T_n$. If you can find a linear combination $u = a_0T_0 + a_1T_1 + a_2T_2 + a_4T_4$ such that $L(u) = x^4 + x$, then you will have solved the problem. That is the motivation for finding $L(T_n)$ (for $n=0,1,2,4$).

Hey opalg, so what would be the procedure of actually solving for the coefficients such that when subbed in they equal to $x^4 + x$ ?

I realize what I did gave me $x^4 + x$, but did not satisfy the solution for the DE.

After individually subbing in the Chebyshev polynomials as you did for $T_2$ and $T_4$, how does that bring us any closer to solving the problem?

solved!

Opalg said:
I think I now see how to do part (b) of this question. It has to do with the fact that the operator $L$ is selfadjoint, where $L$ is defined by $L(u) = (1-x^2)u'' - xu' + 4u$. We want to show that $x^4$ is not in the range of $L$.

The operator $L$ acts on the Hilbert space given by the inner product \(\displaystyle \langle f, g\rangle = \int_{-1}^1f(x)\overline{g(x)}\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}\) and is selfadjoint in the sense that $\langle L(u),v\rangle = \langle u,L(v)\rangle$ for all functions $u,v$ in its domain.

We know that $L(T_n) = (4-n^2)T_n$ for each Chebyshev polynomial $T_n$. In particular, $L(T_0) = 4$, $L(T_2) = 0$ and $L(T_4) = -12T_4 = -96x^4 + 96x^2 - 12.$ Therefore $L(\frac1{48}T_4 - \frac3{16}T_0) = -2x^4 + 2x^2 - 1 = -2x^4 + T_2(x)$. Now suppose that there exists a function $u$ such that $L(u) = x^4$. Let $v = 2u +\frac1{48}T_4 - \frac3{16}T_0.$ Then $L(v) = T_2$.

The selfadjointness of $L$ then tells us that $\|T_2\|^2 = \|L(v)\|^2 = \langle L(v),L(v) \rangle = \langle v,L^2(v)\rangle$. But $L^2(v) = L(L(v)) = L(T_2) = 0$. It follows that $\|T_2\|=0$ and hence $T_2(x)=0$ (for all $x$ in $[-1,1]$), which is clearly false.

That contradiction shows that there is no function $u$ with $L(u) = x^4$.
This is genius Opalg!

Last edited:

1. What is Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev?

Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a linear combination of Chebyshev polynomials. These polynomials are orthogonal, meaning they are perpendicular to each other when plotted on a graph, and can be used to accurately approximate a wide range of functions.

2. How is Chebyshev eigenfunction expansion different from other expansion techniques?

Chebyshev eigenfunction expansion is different from other expansion techniques, such as Fourier or Legendre expansion, because it uses a different set of basis functions. Chebyshev polynomials have the property of being the best approximations for a given function compared to other types of polynomials.

3. What are the advantages of using Chebyshev eigenfunction expansion?

One advantage of using Chebyshev eigenfunction expansion is its ability to provide accurate approximations for a wide range of functions, even for functions with discontinuities or singularities. It also has faster convergence compared to other expansion techniques, meaning it requires fewer terms to achieve a certain level of accuracy.

4. What are the applications of Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev?

Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It can be used to solve differential equations, approximate functions in numerical analysis, and model physical systems. It is also used in data compression and image processing.

5. Is it necessary to have a deep understanding of Chebyshev polynomials to use Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev?

No, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of Chebyshev polynomials to use Eigenfunction Expansion with Chebyshev. However, a basic understanding of the properties and behavior of these polynomials can help in choosing appropriate basis functions and interpreting the results of the expansion.