Check my Understanding of Unitary and Diagonal Matrices

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary, Homework Equations states that we need to find a diagonal unitary matrix. The general rule is that if a matrix has a 1 in the ith row and column, then the absolute values of the components must be equal to 1. To make this more general, the pattern continues on for nxn matrices. If we have a unitary matrix with no criteria, we can write it using two parameters and no criteria. There is a set of all unitary, diagonal, n x n matrices that is written as: S_n = {A\equiv (a_{ij})\in M(\mathbb{C},n)\ |\ A=diag\big(f_1
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find all diagonal unitary matrices.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am starting to get the hang of this type of material.
I hope I am right in my thinking.

So if we have a diagonal matrix, let's say a 2x2 for a simple example:
[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
a & 0\\
0 & b\\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

And we also have the condition that it is unitary, so the absolute values of the components must be equal to 1.

The general rule will then be:[itex]
\begin{pmatrix}
|a|=1 & 0\\
0 & |b|=1\\
\end{pmatrix}[/itex]

Where a,b ∈ℂ

And to make this more general, the pattern continues on for nxn matrices.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but I imagine your lecturer expects you to express the matrices in parameterised form, rather than writing it as criteria as you have done above. You can give the general form of an n-dimensional, diagonal, unitary matrix using n parameters ##\theta_1,\theta_2,...,\theta_n##. How would you write it?

Likes RJLiberator
Ohhh, that is interesting. I believe I did see something like this when searching on the internet.

Would I write it out as e^(i*theta) multiplying the matrix :

[itex]
e^{i\theta}
\begin{pmatrix}
a & 0\\
0 & b\\
\end{pmatrix} where |a|^2=1 and |b|^2=1[/itex]

How does that look?

Getting closer. The trouble is that now you have three parameters (four, if we include the size of the matrix) and two criteria. What I was suggesting was writing it with two parameters (three if we include the size of the matrix) and no criteria, so that you can specify the set of all unitary, diagonal, n x n matrices as:

$$S_n=\{A\equiv (a_{ij})\in M(\mathbb{C},n)\ |\ A=diag\big(f_1(\theta_1),f_2(\theta_2),...,f_n(\theta_n) \big)\wedge \forall k:\theta_k\in\mathbb{C}\}$$

where ##M(\mathbb{C},n)## is the set of all n x n matrices of complex numbers and ##diag(d_1,d_2,...,d_n)## is the diagonal matrix with entries ##d_1,d_2,...,d_n## on the diagonal.

What are simple functions ##f_1,...,f_n## (not necessarily all different) that ensure that all the diagonal elements have modulus 1?

Likes RJLiberator
I must admit that I feel lost looking at your notation, as if there is some barrier here.

Let me start with analyzing your question:
What are simple functions f1,...,fn (not necessarily all different) that ensure that all the diagonal elements have modulus 1?

Here, I believe this is beyond what my class is trying to get at.

Is there anything more 'simple' that can be looked at here?

RJLiberator said:
What are simple functions f1,...,fn (not necessarily all different) that ensure that all the diagonal elements have modulus 1?
Can you write a complex-valued function of ##\theta## that is guaranteed to have modulus 1 if ##\theta## is real? Can you get any complex number of modulus 1 as the value of such a function - ie by plugging in a suitable value of ##\theta##?

Likes RJLiberator
Wouldn't it be the values on the unit circle?

I am starting to understand what you are saying by modulus 1, but I am still looking at this wrong then.

Let me define something
Modulus: |λ| = sqrt(a^2+b^2)

So if modulus = 1, then a^2+b^2 = 1.
a being the real part, b being the imaginary part.

e^(i*theta) = cos(x)+isin(x)
So any angle will grab the value 1 as long as the radius is not greater than 1.

No?

Yes, and since ##re^{i\theta}## is the complex number with modulus ##r## and argument (angle to positive real axis) ##\theta##, the radius/modulus of ##e^{i\theta}## is...?

Then using that, can you write a diagonal 2 x 2 matrix in a form that guarantees that each of the two diagonal elements will have modulus 1?

Likes RJLiberator
Interesting I like where this is going.

Modulus r = 1. So we have e^(i*theta)

The radius/modulus of e^(i*theta) = 1.

a 2x2 matrix in form that gurantees that each of the two diagonal elements will have modulus 1 is:

\begin{pmatrix}
e^(i*theta) & 0\\
0 & e^(i*theta)\\
\end{pmatrix}

Which we have the modulus = 1.

It's not completely general yet. You can use different thetas for the 1,1 and the 2,2 elements. They don't have to be the same.

Likes RJLiberator
Ohhh, that is making sense now, and I see why your notation above was as general as it was. As we can let theta have different values, but the form is e^(i*theta).

Related to Check my Understanding of Unitary and Diagonal Matrices

1. What is a unitary matrix?

A unitary matrix is a square matrix that has the property of being equal to its own inverse. This means that when multiplied by its conjugate transpose, the result will be the identity matrix. In simpler terms, a unitary matrix is a matrix that preserves the length of vectors and the angles between them when multiplied by it.

2. How can I determine if a matrix is unitary?

To determine if a matrix is unitary, you can follow these steps:

• Take the conjugate transpose of the matrix
  • Multiply it by the original matrix
  • If the result is the identity matrix, then the matrix is unitary

3. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal (top left to bottom right) are equal to zero. This means that the only non-zero elements in the matrix are found on the main diagonal.

4. How can I check if a matrix is diagonal?

To check if a matrix is diagonal, you can follow these steps:

• Find all the elements outside the main diagonal
  • If any of these elements are non-zero, then the matrix is not diagonal
  • If all the elements outside the main diagonal are zero, then the matrix is diagonal

5. What is the difference between a unitary and a diagonal matrix?

The main difference between a unitary and a diagonal matrix is that a unitary matrix is equal to its own inverse, while a diagonal matrix may or may not have this property. Additionally, a unitary matrix preserves the length of vectors and the angles between them when multiplied, while a diagonal matrix only has non-zero elements on the main diagonal.