Check out the Perseid meteor shower....

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary: Oh, Santa Cruz certainly has it's perks weather wise, but it has a few downsides, one of which being that I'm missing out on this awesome meteor shower. I'm sure if I was up in Scotts Valley or in the San José area I'd be able to see things without much of a problem. XD
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Hello folks,

Last night I got a reminder from anemone that the Perseid meteor shower was in progress, so I went outside and within a few minutes time I saw about half a dozen meteors. So, I wanted to pass along a reminder to everyone here to check it out if you're into that kind of thing. :D

Physics news on Phys.org
MarkFL said:
Hello folks,

Last night I got a reminder from anemone that the Perseid meteor shower was in progress, so I went outside and within a few minutes time I saw about half a dozen meteors. So, I wanted to pass along a reminder to everyone here to check it out if you're into that kind of thing. :D

It was overcast by me so I couldn't see them. (Sadface)

Chris L T521 said:
It was overcast by me so I couldn't see them. (Sadface)

Sorry to hear that...I hope you get a chance to see it tonight! :D

MarkFL said:
Sorry to hear that...I hope you get a chance to see it tonight! :D

We live pretty close to each other. Should I wait for a few minutes? I just ran outside and didn't see anything. Read online that it will be ongoing for a couple of days.

Jameson said:
We live pretty close to each other. Should I wait for a few minutes? I just ran outside and didn't see anything. Read online that it will be ongoing for a couple of days.

Yeah, you might want to wait until that big bright ball of fire in the sky falls down below where the ground meets the sky...you see, the meteors get burned up by that fiery ball so wait until it disappears, and then you can see the delicate meteors. (Nerd)

MarkFL said:
Yeah, you might want to wait until that big bright ball of fire in the sky falls down below where the ground meets the sky...you see, the meteors get burned up by that fiery ball so wait until it disappears, and then you can see the delicate meteors. (Nerd)

Haha, yeah I assumed night would be way better but I didn't know if it was possible to see at all during the day. I'll be on the lookout tonight. Never seen a meteor shower before.

Hehe, I thought you were trying to be a wise guy...and you know I can't say for sure whether it is impossible to see a meteor during the daylight hours...I just kind of assumed it would be pointless to look during the day.

Pretty cloudy in England but what's new (Wasntme)

Hello MHB,

Last night, the sky was cloudy and I saw not even the twinkling stars up in the sky and went to bed disappointed. But I hope circumstances will conspire to let me watch the Perseid meteor shower tonight my time!

I've also found these two short videos that show the Perseid meteor shower and I've posted links to them here and I do hope you enjoy watching them just as much as I did.:)

[video=youtube;T9X-QcVjka4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T9X-QcVjka4[/video]

And this...

Cool videos! Thanks!

I just went outside for about five minutes and saw several, but nothing like that first video. :D

One of the downsides of living close to the Pacific Ocean in Northern California is that you have to deal with fog and overcast skies during the summer. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Perseid meteor shower this evening either... (Angry)

Chris L T521 said:
One of the downsides of living close to the Pacific Ocean in Northern California is that you have to deal with fog and overcast skies during the summer. Unfortunately, I won't be able to watch the Perseid meteor shower this evening either... (Angry)

I just took a look at the climate for Santa Cruz, and I must say I am quite envious of the mild temperatures you have there! The heat index here today was about 105° F. (Envy)

MarkFL said:
I just took a look at the climate for Santa Cruz, and I must say I am quite envious of the mild temperatures you have there! The heat index here today was about 105° F. (Envy)

Oh, Santa Cruz certainly has it's perks weather wise, but it has a few downsides, one of which being that I'm missing out on this awesome meteor shower. I'm sure if I was up in Scotts Valley or in the San José area I'd be able to see things without much of a problem. XD

What is the Perseid meteor shower?

The Perseid meteor shower is an annual event that occurs every August when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the comet Swift-Tuttle. This debris enters the Earth's atmosphere and burns up, creating a spectacular display of shooting stars.

When can I see the Perseid meteor shower?

The peak of the Perseid meteor shower usually occurs around August 11-13, but can be seen from late July to late August. The best time to view the meteor shower is after midnight and before dawn.

Where is the best place to view the Perseid meteor shower?

The Perseid meteor shower can be seen from anywhere in the world, as long as there is little to no light pollution. The best place to view the meteor shower is in a dark, open area away from city lights.

Do I need any special equipment to view the Perseid meteor shower?

No special equipment is needed to view the Perseid meteor shower. In fact, the naked eye is the best tool for viewing the meteor shower. However, if you want a closer look, binoculars or a telescope can enhance your viewing experience.

What is the best way to prepare for viewing the Perseid meteor shower?

The best way to prepare for viewing the Perseid meteor shower is to check the weather forecast to ensure clear skies, find a dark viewing location, and bring a blanket or chair to sit on. It's also important to give your eyes time to adjust to the darkness for optimal viewing.