Check this definition of a subset

• Thread starter setvectorgroup
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary: Your summary is as follows:In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a subset, which is a set that consists of some or all of the elements of another set. It is denoted by T ⊆ S and T ⊄ S if not. The example given is that if S = {1, {2}, cat}, then {cat} ⊆ S, {{2}} ⊆ S, and 2 ⊄ S. It is also mentioned that by convention, the empty set is considered a subset of every set.
setvectorgroup

Homework Statement

"We say a set T is a subset of a set S if every element of T also belongs to S( i.e T consists of some of the elements of S). We write T ⊆ S if T is a subset of S and T ⊄ S if not. For example, if S = {1, {2}, cat}, then {cat} ⊆ S, {{2}} ⊆ S, 2 ⊄ S.

As another example, the subsets of {1,2} are {1,2}, {1}, {2}, Ø.

By convention, Ø is a subset of every set."

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the definition above describing a proper subset without mentioning it by name? Because the bold part of the text above seems to be alluding to T < S. But the italicized part is saying that a set is its own subset.

The reason I ask this because I have a problem that I don't know how to approach because the above quote is confusing me a bit.

Thanks.

edit: I meant to start my title with "Please', but somehow forgot to put it there. Sorry for that infraction :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wouldn't interpret that definition as referring to a proper subset. The part in italics seems to make it pretty clear that it considers every set to be a subset of itself.

I don't think the part in bold contradicts that. It says that a subset of S must consist of some of the elements of S, but it doesn't say the subset can't contain all the elements of S.

Pagan Harpoon said:
I wouldn't interpret that definition as referring to a proper subset. The part in italics seems to make it pretty clear that it considers every set to be a subset of itself.

I don't think the part in bold contradicts that. It says that a subset of S must consist of some of the elements of S, but it doesn't say the subset can't contain all the elements of S.

Thank You, Pagan Harpoon.

Related to Check this definition of a subset

1. What is a subset?

A subset is a collection of elements that are all part of a larger set. In other words, all of the elements in a subset are also elements of the larger set.

2. How is a subset denoted?

A subset is typically denoted by the symbol ⊆, which means "is a subset of."

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset includes all of the elements of the larger set, while a proper subset includes some but not all of the elements of the larger set.

4. Can a set be a subset of itself?

Yes, a set can be a subset of itself. This is known as the identity subset, where all of the elements in the subset are also elements of the larger set.

5. How do you determine if one set is a subset of another set?

To determine if one set is a subset of another set, you must check if all of the elements in the first set are also elements of the second set. If so, then the first set is a subset of the second set.