Checking Bending Moment of Hub Connectors

In summary, the speaker is seeking advice on which value to use for checking bending moment of a hub connector, as the manufacturer has provided two values - one for primary load and one for primary load + secondary load. They also mention using the rule of thumb of tightening the clamp to 2/3 of its adjustable tightness. More information about the type of clamp being used would be helpful.
Colin555
hi Gents,
i am checking bending moment for hub connector. The manufacturer send me two values of maximum bending moment- one value due to primary load and one value due to primary load + secondary load. If you have any experience on checking bending moment of hub, please advise what value we should use?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Colin555 said:
hi Gents,
i am checking bending moment for hub connector. The manufacturer send me two values of maximum bending moment- one value due to primary load and one value due to primary load + secondary load. If you have any experience on checking bending moment of hub, please advise what value we should use?
The rule of thumb I have always used that should get to working tightness somewhere in the middle 2/3s of the clamp, if when tightened the clamp is at the bottom end of its adjustable tightness the clamp is too big and likewise, if it gets tight at the top end the clamp is too small. although it would help if you mentioned what type of clamp your working with.

Related to Checking Bending Moment of Hub Connectors

1. What is a hub connector?

A hub connector is a component used to connect two shafts together in a mechanical system. It is typically made of metal and has a cylindrical shape with holes on either end for the shafts to pass through.

2. Why is it important to check the bending moment of hub connectors?

The bending moment of a hub connector is the force applied to it that causes it to bend. It is important to check this because if the bending moment exceeds the connector's capacity, it can lead to failure and potentially cause damage to the entire system.

3. How is the bending moment of hub connectors calculated?

The bending moment of a hub connector can be calculated using the formula M = F x d, where M is the bending moment, F is the force applied to the connector, and d is the distance from the center of the connector to where the force is applied.

4. What factors can affect the bending moment of hub connectors?

The bending moment of a hub connector can be affected by various factors, including the amount and direction of force applied, the size and material of the connector, and the speed and torque of the system it is a part of.

5. How can the bending moment of hub connectors be checked?

The bending moment of hub connectors can be checked by using mathematical calculations, computer simulations, or physical testing. It is important to follow industry standards and guidelines to ensure accurate and reliable results.