Checking the voltage in a light bulb socket

In summary, Nikola was attempting to use a voltage tester to check for voltage in a light bulb socket without a bulb present. However, due to improper handling of the tester, there was an explosion and the safety circuit switch turned off. This can be explained by the shorting of Line and Neutral in the open socket with the voltage probes. To safely perform this test, it is recommended to use probes with minimal metal exposure or to insulate the exposed metal. There are also adapter options available to make the measurement easier.
nikolafmf
Hello,

I was trying to check with a voltage tester if there was voltage in a light bulb socket (Edison type, no bulb present). Explosion happened (a relatively loud sound) and the safety circuit switch turned off.

My question is, how can one explain this with the laws of physics and how can one check for voltage in such situation without explosion and turning off safety switch?Nikola

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
nikolafmf said:
Hello,

I was trying to check with a voltage tester if there was voltage in a light bulb socket (Edison type, no bulb present). Explosion happened (a relatively loud sound) and the safety circuit switch turned off.

My question is, how can one explain this with the laws of physics and how can one check for voltage in such situation without explosion and turning off safety switch?Nikola
Glad you are okay and you just popped the breaker.

You most likely shorted Line and Neutral in the open socket with your voltage probes. The outer screw-shaped conductor is Neutral, and the small button at the bottom of the socket is Line (when the socket is wired correctly). As you reached for the bottom button, you probably made contact with both the button and the outer threads with the metal part of that probe.

http://images.esellerpro.com/2242/I/668/27/lamp gu10 to e27.jpg
lamp%20gu10%20to%20e27.jpg

Likes nikolafmf
To do this test in a more safe manner, be sure to use probes that only have a very small amount of metal exposed near the end of the probe tip, with the rest covered by insulators.

https://cdn.sparkfun.com//assets/parts/8/6/9/5/12078-01.jpg
12078-01.jpg

Likes nikolafmf
nikolafmf said:
Is it very likely that I can physically make contact with both Line and Neutral in the same time with such a probe?
Definitely. To temporarily use that probe until you get better ones, you could insulate most of that exposed metal probe tip with heatshrink tubing or electrical tape. Only leave about 1mm of the conductor tip exposed.

Oh, and please be careful. Why are you wanting to make this measurement? Measuring the voltage at the wall socket is a bit safer, as long as you are careful not to touch any metal with your hands or body when you are making the measurement.

Likes nikolafmf
nikolafmf said:
https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/6f...jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
BTW, that looks like a small screwdriver to me. Where does the wire attach?

Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
Definitely. To temporarily use that probe until you get better ones, you could insulate most of that exposed metal probe tip with heatshrink tubing or electrical tape. Only leave about 1mm of the conductor tip exposed.

Oh, and please be careful. Why are you wanting to make this measurement? Measuring the voltage at the wall socket is a bit safer, as long as you are careful not to touch any metal with your hands or body when you are making the measurement.
OK, thank you very much.

berkeman said:

Which wire?

Btw, can you, or somebody else, suggest me some popular or semi-popular book (first year undergraduate university textbook also acceptable) which explains those things?

berkeman said:
It's a Neon Circuit Checker.

Likes berkeman and davenn

1. How do I check the voltage in a light bulb socket?

The best and safest way to check the voltage in a light bulb socket is by using a multimeter. Make sure the multimeter is set to measure AC voltage and then touch the probes to the contacts inside the socket.

2. What voltage should I expect to see in a light bulb socket?

A standard light bulb socket should have a voltage range of 110-120 volts for household outlets. However, it is always best to double check with a multimeter to ensure the correct voltage is present.

3. What should I do if I don't see any voltage in the light bulb socket?

If you do not see any voltage in the light bulb socket, first make sure the light switch is turned on. If the switch is on and there is still no voltage, then there may be an issue with the wiring or the socket itself and it is best to call a professional electrician for further assistance.

4. Is it safe to check the voltage in a light bulb socket?

If done correctly, checking the voltage in a light bulb socket is generally safe. However, it is important to take proper precautions such as wearing protective gear and using a multimeter correctly to avoid any potential electrical hazards.

5. Can I check the voltage in a light bulb socket without a multimeter?

It is not recommended to check the voltage in a light bulb socket without a multimeter as it is the most accurate and safest way to do so. Other methods, such as using a voltage tester or a non-contact voltage detector, may not provide as accurate results and can be less safe.