Chemical Formulas: Interpreting Single Atom Reactions

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of a chemical formula and the standard enthalpy of reaction in terms of microscopic and macroscopic quantities. It is determined that enthalpies are for macroscopic quantities and in order to understand the energetics of a reaction between individual molecules, the energies of all reactants and products must be taken into account.
tirrel
This is a very basic question. When I see a chemical formula, like for example combustion of methane: $CH_4+2O_2->CO_2+2H_20$ and I compute the standard enthalpy of reaction $H_r$, do I have always to think about this value $H$ and about the chemical reaction as describing a "certain amount", big from the microscopic point of view
arrow-10x10.png
, of methane reacting with a certain amount of oxygen? Told another way, is it possible to interpret the chemical formula as describing a reaction between a single atom of methane with a singole molecule of oxygen (with no other methane molecules or oxygen present?)
My answer would be no, because we have always to talk about substances in thermodynamic equilibrium but I wanted to ask the opinion of somebody more expert than me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
tirrel said:
This is a very basic question. When I see a chemical formula, like for example combustion of methane: $CH_4+2O_2->CO_2+2H_20$ and I compute the standard enthalpy of reaction $H_r$, do I have always to think about this value $H$ and about the chemical reaction as describing a "certain amount", big from the microscopic point of view
arrow-10x10.png
, of methane reacting with a certain amount of oxygen? Told another way, is it possible to interpret the chemical formula as describing a reaction between a single atom of methane with a singole molecule of oxygen (with no other methane molecules or oxygen present?)
My answer would be no, because we have always to talk about substances in thermodynamic equilibrium but I wanted to ask the opinion of somebody more expert than me.

You are right. Enthalpies (and other thermodynamic quantitites) are for macroscopic quantities of material. If you talk about the energy for a reaction of a single molecule of methane with two molecules of oxygen producing a molecule of carbon dioxide and 2 molecules of water, you can. Physical chemists do this kind of experiment, but if you want to learn something about the energetics of the reaction you would need to stipulate the energies (internal) of all reactants and products -- i.e. what rotational, vibrational states are we talking about? You would also need to say something about the kinetic energies of the reactants and products. In the case you give, this would probably not be too meaningful, since the reaction is quite complex. Look at Glassman's book, "Combustion" to see the complexity of this simple chemical reaction.

1. What is a chemical formula?

A chemical formula is a representation of the elements and their ratios in a compound. It uses symbols and subscripts to show the number of atoms of each element present in a molecule.

2. How do you interpret a chemical formula?

To interpret a chemical formula, you need to identify the elements present and their corresponding subscripts. The subscripts represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule.

3. What is a single atom reaction?

A single atom reaction is a chemical reaction that involves only one atom or molecule. It can occur in the gas phase or on the surface of a solid. These reactions are important in understanding the properties and behavior of individual atoms.

4. How do you balance a single atom reaction?

To balance a single atom reaction, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the reaction. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each formula to achieve an equal number of atoms on both sides.

5. What is the significance of chemical formulas in chemistry?

Chemical formulas are essential in chemistry as they allow us to understand the composition of compounds and predict their properties. They also help us to write and balance chemical reactions, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of matter and developing new materials and products.