Chemistry or Algebra-based Physics?

In summary: Calculus-based Physics is known to be difficult, but it is also known to be a great choice and an asset for anyone who can do it well. In summary, as a high school student at a community college, you are considering taking Calculus-based Physics in your senior year and are unsure if you should take General Chemistry or Algebra-based Physics as preparation. You are leaning towards General Chemistry because it will add diversity to your college application, and you have no decided major but are interested in STEM. You have heard that as long as you have Calculus, you will be prepared for Calculus-based Physics, but you are still hesitant. You have a strong math background but no prior Physics experience. Instead of specifically preparing for Calculus-based Physics
Exponential11
I am a high school student attending school at a community college (Early College High School located inside). I am currently a sophomore and I am signing up for classes for Fall/Autumn. For my Senior year, I want to take Calculus-based Physics but of course, that class is known to be difficult. I am undecided whether I should just take General Chemistry I and II during my Junior year and open up the door for Organic Chemistry if I decide to take it Senior Year, or whether I should start with Algebra-based Physics my Junior year to prepare me for Calculus-based Physics my Senior year. I am leaning on General Chemistry because I believe it will add diversity to my college application when I apply for colleges. I also have no decided major which is why I'm uncertain of what to take. Something dealing with STEM, obviously. I have heard that as long as I have Calculus then I should be good for Calculus-based Physics, but I'm still hesitant. I will definitely have Calculus I and Calculus II prior to my Senior year when I take Calculus-based Physics but will that be enough? I am pretty strong in math, but I would have no prior Physics experience. Here is my course plan to get an idea:

*Indicates high school classes, everything else is college.

Freshmen Year (Not too much going on this first year):

*Algebra I
*World Geography
*English I
*Biology
*Physical Education A
*Preparing for College

Summer:

Speech
Intro to College (Some dumb required college class)

Sophomore Year:

*Geometry
*World History
*English II
*Chemistry
*Algebra II A
Psychology
Kinesiology
Texas Government
Honors Art Appreciation
Honors Humanities

Summer 2016:

College Algebra
US History A
Trigonometry
US History B

Junior:

Precalculus
Honors Federal Government
English Langauge and Composition I
Music Appreciation
Algebra-based Physics I or General Chemistry I
*Spanish I

(This space indicates a transition from Fall Semester to Spring Semester)

Honors Calculus I
Macroeconomics
Honors English Langauge and Composition II
Algebra-based Physics II or General Chemistry II
Statistics
*Spanish II

Summer 2017:

Calculus II
Intro to Engineering

Senior:

Calculus III or Differential Equations
Calculus-based Physics I
World Literature A
Organic Chemistry I or Engineering course
Intermediate Spanish I

(This space indicates a transition from Fall Semester to Spring Semester)

Calculus III or Differential Equations
Calculus-based Physics II
World Literature B
Organic Chemistry II or Engineering course
Intermediate Spanish II

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics First deserves some support. Chemistry is a great science and it depends very much on Physics for its present status of development. Understanding Physics will help more with learning Chemistry than understanding Chemistry would help with learning Physics.

You are not too likely to benefit from going through Algebra-based Physics as preparation for Calculus-based Physics. On the other hand, any physical science which uses significant algebra can be good for you as you study for and earn your way up through to two or three semesters of Calculus needed for the typical science & engineering Physics course series (the calculus-based Physics courses series for science and engineering students).

1. What is the difference between chemistry and algebra-based physics?

Chemistry focuses on the study of matter and its properties, while algebra-based physics focuses on the study of motion and energy using mathematical equations. They both use scientific methods and principles to understand the natural world, but with different focuses.

2. Which one should I take: chemistry or algebra-based physics?

It ultimately depends on your interests and career goals. If you are more interested in the micro-level interactions of matter, then chemistry may be a better fit. If you are more interested in understanding the physical laws that govern motion and energy, then algebra-based physics may be a better choice.

3. Do I need to have a strong math background for chemistry or algebra-based physics?

Both subjects require a basic understanding of math, but algebra-based physics will have a stronger emphasis on mathematical concepts. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can succeed in either subject regardless of their math background.

4. What are some common careers for those who study chemistry or algebra-based physics?

Chemistry can lead to careers in pharmaceuticals, environmental science, and materials science, among others. Algebra-based physics can lead to careers in engineering, research and development, and technology. However, these are just a few examples and there are many other career paths available.

5. Is chemistry or algebra-based physics harder?

Both subjects have their own challenges and can be considered difficult depending on the individual's strengths and interests. It is important to choose a subject that you are passionate about and willing to put in the effort to succeed.